Metro Solutions: Phase III

Trae

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some interesting info here:

In addition to improved bus service, this plan includes 64.8 miles of new light rail lines. This plan was designed to be implemented in two phases, one consisting of lines to be opened before 2012 and another consisting of lines to be opened from 2012 through 2025.

METRO plans to open extensions in pieces, a few miles at a time. This spreads out funding, design, and construction.

I like to hear that they are going to open extensions a few miles at a time. That means we might not have to wait all the way until 2012 to have some new lines opening.

Notice how closely packed all the stops shown around Gulfgate would be? Other than downtown, there's not a single place--not the TMC, not the Galleria, not Greenway--that gets so much access. Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

On the basis that I don't know who is coming up with this drawing, and on the basis that many of the planned stops along the University Line are not shown, I seriously doubt the reliability of this information.

Notice how closely packed all the stops shown around Gulfgate would be? Other than downtown, there's not a single place--not the TMC, not the Galleria, not Greenway--that gets so much access. Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

On the basis that I don't know who is coming up with this drawing, and on the basis that many of the planned stops along the University Line are not shown, I seriously doubt the reliability of this information.

If you had clicked on the link, you would have seen that the map was created by Christof Spieler, last updated on July 19, 2005, and that it is based on information gathered from METRO Solutions.

Because it has not been updated in 2 years, some of the lines are not exact, but rather general routes. However, the routes depicted are the general routes approved by voters in 2003.

If you had clicked on the link, you would have seen that the map was created by Christof Spieler, last updated on July 19, 2005, and that it is based on information gathered from METRO Solutions.

Because it has not been updated in 2 years, some of the lines are not exact, but rather general routes. However, the routes depicted are the general routes approved by voters in 2003.

I did click on the link. The web page was prepared by Christof; that doesn't mean that the maps were.

The list of extensions and the map generated by Christof were correct based on the longer-term buildout included in the METRO Solutions plan: the Inner Katy line, the Sunnyside line, the extension of the North line to Greenspoint and IAH, the extension of the Southeast line to Hobby, and the extension of the East End line back to Gulfgate. Whether this is what Houston's rail network will actually look like in 2025, of course, is anybody's guess; these alignments are general and modifications to them are inevitable.

I'd personally like to see the University Line extended to Westchase, and I question whether the North extension all the way up to Bush is financially feasible.

Oooh! This is my 100th post! I feel like I have accomplished something! :D

The number one reason rail, whether commuter or light, is not running to the Woodlands is that Woodlands residents do not contribute to METRO. If Woodlands residents wish to receive transit services, they must first indicate a willingness to contribute to the cost of providing them. As of yet, they have not.

The toll road authority, on the other hand, has a charter that allows them to run toll roads anywhere they believe can support them. Of course, the Hardy toll road loses money, so they apparently misjudged that one.

There is some talk of outlying counties chipping in for commuter rail, including Montgomery. METRO will listen to anyone. But, running a line out to these areas involves the other county putting up some support. The only one that has really talked seriously about it appears to be Fort Bend, and, to a lesser extent, Galveston.

The list of extensions and the map generated by Christof were correct based on the longer-term buildout included in the METRO Solutions plan: the Inner Katy line, the Sunnyside line, the extension of the North line to Greenspoint and IAH, the extension of the Southeast line to Hobby, and the extension of the East End line back to Gulfgate. Whether this is what Houston's rail network will actually look like in 2025, of course, is anybody's guess; these alignments are general and modifications to them are inevitable.

I'd personally like to see the University Line extended to Westchase, and I question whether the North extension all the way up to Bush is financially feasible.

Oooh! This is my 100th post! I feel like I have accomplished something! :D

This is another reason why color-coordinated lines would be a better option for METRO. A lot easier for them to split up lines and have them run back together.

The number one reason rail, whether commuter or light, is not running to the Woodlands is that Woodlands residents do not contribute to METRO. If Woodlands residents wish to receive transit services, they must first indicate a willingness to contribute to the cost of providing them. As of yet, they have not.

The toll road authority, on the other hand, has a charter that allows them to run toll roads anywhere they believe can support them. Of course, the Hardy toll road loses money, so they apparently misjudged that one.

There is some talk of outlying counties chipping in for commuter rail, including Montgomery. METRO will listen to anyone. But, running a line out to these areas involves the other county putting up some support. The only one that has really talked seriously about it appears to be Fort Bend, and, to a lesser extent, Galveston.

They could at least run it to the Harris County border. That's as close as the folks up north need, anyhow.

I'm hesitant as far as commuter rail is concerned. When I hear commuter rail, I picture a rail line with no relevance to any of the neighborhoods it passes through, and terrible intermodal capability. Is ROW the only concern here?

I'm hesitant as far as commuter rail is concerned. When I hear commuter rail, I picture a rail line with no relevance to any of the neighborhoods it passes through, and terrible intermodal capability. Is ROW the only concern here?

don't forget cost. commuter rail is much cheaper because tracks are in existence.

The problem is, where will that commuter rail go? Houston is such a decentralized city.

The 290 line would stop at the Northwest mall to connect to the Uptown line (for Uptown and Greenway) then stop at the downtown intermodal terminal to connect to redline for downtown/TMC. Without the Phase 2 lines and intermodal terminal the commuter line would have nowhere to go.

Wouldn't the Uptown line connect directly to the University Line, which connects with the Red line at Wheeler Station (no need to go all the way downtown to the intermodal terminal if you're heading to the TMC).

Wouldn't the Uptown line connect directly to the University Line, which connects with the Red line at Wheeler Station (no need to go all the way downtown to the intermodal terminal if you're heading to the TMC).

That would be superb. In fact, I just wrote a letter to Metro last night in favor of interlining on the University Line, where Uptown Line trains would run directly to downtown.

going "all the way downtown" would be a shorter route and have less stops if your final destination is TMC. not saying it wont happen but the likelyhood of the univ line connecting to the red line is slim just factoring in the current line design and sears.

going "all the way downtown" would be a shorter route and have less stops if your final destination is TMC. not saying it wont happen but the likelyhood of the univ line connecting to the red line is slim just factoring in the current line design and sears.

I agree.. going all the way downtown would be shorter distance from NWTC to Med Center than going all the way to Westpark, then all the way to Midtown.

Even assuming the Uptown line will merge seemlessly nonstop into the Uni line......

Iif the university line merges into the redline, i believe it would only merge in the north direction to downtown.... one couldn't ride non-stop redline south of wheeler to Uni line West of Wheeler or visa-versa.

So either way, you would have one transfer ride from NWTC to Med Center...... either the Intermodal TC or the Wheeler Station.

BUT.. commuter line, or even the inner-Katy LRT line connecting NWTC to downtown isnt till phase III at best... so this argument is pointless till around 2019.

Iif the university line merges into the redline, i believe it would only merge in the north direction to downtown.... one couldn't ride non-stop redline south of wheeler to Uni line West of Wheeler or visa-versa.

I was a bit confused. Sorry. I think I see what you mean, that the commuter line would go straight to the intermodal downtown where you could get on the Red Line. I thought somebody was saying you would go from the 290 line to the Uptown line then downtown then get on the Redline.

The Red Line and the University line will cross at Wheeler, will they not?

If that is the case, I don't see why you could not get off the U line at Wheeler and get on the red line.

There is about a bunch of empty space directly surrounding Wheeler station. I think it would be feasible to have a station there where you can transfer. I don't see Sears being in the way. Look at all the empty space around the current wheeler station.

There are several scenarios flying around at once. Currently, METRO envisions a straight through run from the U Line to Uptown for some trains. But, there are no plans to do the same with the U Line and Red Line. You would change trains at Wheeler. Not the worst scenario in the world, given how often the trains run.

Commuter rail on 290 could come sooner than 2019. The Inner Katy Line is defintitely a 2019 or later gig though.

Archived