Rice Village Shopping Center At 2400 University Blvd.

Yeah I was kinda trying to come up with the best way to say it, but Lipstick on a pig just about says it all. I mean really though did we really have high expectations for this?

I would not call Rice Arcade a "pig". It is a nice strip center that is somewhat surburban is styling... the image shown is an improvement.

What was expected? Demolishion and rebuilding? I am most concerned with parking / landscape / sidewalks...

• Like 2

I would not call Rice Arcade a "pig". It is a nice strip center that is somewhat surburban is styling... the image shown is an improvement.

What was expected? Demolishion and rebuilding? I am most concerned with parking / landscape / sidewalks...

I didn't expect a demolition of the whole thing....just a good portion of the front as a way of bringing the store front closer to the street. If not that I expected maybe they would gut the inside and prep that area to add more stories for residential or office space. I expected them to be a little more serious about turning this suburban style building into a full urban mixed use building in an ever growing urban context.

IMHO I always thought that the building stuck out in a very bad way. Sure the new Hanover Apartments stick out too but it adds so much to the community. When I see Rice Arcade I see laziness. Instead of creating a community they are looking at the quickest solution possible to quickly make a buck right now instead of what they could achieve long term.

Then their is the building itself which doesn't match the eclectic nature of the district. Its entrance columns are too fat and uninviting. The brick is bland and lacks character. It's lampooning of english industrial 19th centruy architecture is laughable. There is no need for the pitched roofs and there is no need for the faux chimneys.

I expected at least some semblance of effort. Not a get rich quick, reband, quick turnover scheme.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the market will go in the area that is along Greenbriar.  That would be great.  Seems like something should be done with that land (and people could then park in the Rice parking lot).  

The way that the office building (?) is set up currently seems like a lot of improperly utilized space. I suppose one way to do it while still allowing some surface parking for the office building is to build new parking in the greenspace above it (which used to be another building, demolished 2010), then build it at Greenbriar and University. There are other probably better ways to reutilize the block but that's the one that allows the least demolition (moving some surface parking).

• 2 weeks later...

The existing Arcade buildings are hideous, their orientation sucks. TEAR THEM DOWN! Start over. Create a truly walkable neighborhood with actual sidewalks, head-in parking, shade trees, landscaping, public spaces, connectivity to the surrounding neighborhoods. Now is the opportunity. 

• Like 5

The existing Arcade buildings are hideous, their orientation sucks. TEAR THEM DOWN! Start over. Create a truly walkable neighborhood with actual sidewalks, head-in parking, shade trees, landscaping, public spaces, connectivity to the surrounding neighborhoods. Now is the opportunity.

The Arcade buildings aren't bad, nor are their orientation. ("Tearing them down" is certainly out of the question). However, I think that there could be some improvements beyond facade improvements. Notice that the Amherst side is fairly close to the street, but the University Boulevard side has a row of parking in front of it. Why not make University Boulevard, a, well, boulevard, by eliminating the large set-back on the University Boulevard side and making a extra wide street with the westbound traffic going roughly where the parking lot is and adding landscaping and wider sidewalks to boot? The trees outside the 2414 University and 2400 University buildings could even be saved.

Honestly, the thing that screws up the Village's walkability that was built in the last 20 years is Hanover Rice Village. Bolsover Street closed with absolutely no walkable or bikable replacement to get through to the other side without detouring another block.

Pretty ridiculous renderings. I can imagine (though not like) them closing off a street. And is that streetcar about to crash into the Arcade on the left? (on the bottom)

Dude this was done by some designer in like a day (two tops) probably as a quick exercise for the client. I wouldn't put to much credence on these first images.

• Like 2

^^^ thoroughly discombobulated!  although, it seems exciting, i cannot tell what is going on....

those renderings caused so much discombobulation that monarch failed to center his text!

I think its best we ignore those for the time being for everyone's sake...

• Like 2

those renderings caused so much discombobulation that monarch failed to center his text!

I think its best we ignore those for the time being for everyone's sake...

There should really be some type of tag or text included when posting imagery of any kind whether it is preliminary, on-going, final, etc... To often I find that the first images are the first impressions that are gained by those who view them and then they take immediate ownership of it or they perceive those images to be the real deal or the final product which is almost never the case. I know its hard to determine these things, but I think a greater effort could be made in differentiating between these stages of the design. I point back to comments I made on a thread several months ago about ways of tagging threads that set projects at various stages so that it helps put these images into some frame of context. Just an idea though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/10/rice-village-renovations-about-to-begin/

The owner of a Rice Village shopping center is launching the first phase of a renovation and rebranding effort it announced late last year to remake the suburban-style property formerly known as the Village Arcade.

The initial changes will include a new parking management system, street and storefront enhancements, outdoor seating, public art and landscaping. Efforts will focus on improvements to the southwest portion of the village, along University Boulevard and Kelvin Drive.

The Village Arcade buildings have been rebranded as Rice Village and a new logo will be used throughout the district.

• Like 2