East End Wishlist

Wish List  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the East End in the most need of?

• Boutique Shop(s) - Coffee, Clothes, Food
    • Grocery Store
    • Multi-Use High Rise(s)
    • More Townhome(s)
    • Restaurant(s)
    • Starbucks / Cafes
    • Park / Green Space
    • Warehouse Conversion(s)
    • Car Wash
    • Farmers Market
    • Sidewalks
    • Liquor Stores
    • Bar(s) - Wine, Sports, Lounge
    • Places to enjoy Skyline - Establishments with Rooftop Decks
    • Gas Station(s)
    • Lightrail
    • Pharmacy
    • Other

Bohemios is not really a cafe like Flores; it's a little coffee bar/bar, BYO in the evenings. More of a performance space for music, spoken word, etc, with refreshments. Young arty crowd. Seems to be doing ok. They have a website.

The thai place is Kanomwan and it's some of the best Thai in the city. You should go, it's really, really good food. It relocated from the old Telephone road location a few years ago. Very plain inside and BYO. Lots of people bring in wine for dinner.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds really great. I like the idea of the "Turning Basin Overlook Park". So many people don't even know the Port of Houston exists, because it's all industrial and there's nowhere to really go and see it. It would be fun to have a nice setting to watch the ships.

Glad you mentioned PORT of Houston. Most Houstonians do not know that there are free boat tours through the ship channel. Doesn't sound too romantic, but you get a fantastic behind-the-scenes views of a ships prespective as it enters the port. I went on a tour with about 45 people at night and its a different world over/down there. I think this tour is more for the business people that come from all over the world but everyone needs to check it out. Very interesting to see the little islands and wildlife that is still around. Must take camera. Google for schedule/dates/times. :)

One improvement coming very soon is streetscape improvement project.

Didn't know about this. Thanks for posting.

In addition to installing new lighting, pedestrian amenities, and landscaping, the East End Streetscape Project will employ unique architectural elements, such as custom sidewalk pavers, that convey the history and spirit of the East End.

I think that pavers are getting a bit cliched, though, as some sort of supposedly "unique" architectural element. Except for a stretch of Navigation, I don't think that they have anything at all to do with the East End.

Its as though the planner just said: "Its an old neighborhood. Old neighborhoods should have pavers...Why? Well, that way you know its old. I mean after all, those dumb ____s that actually live and work there couldn't possibly already know that its old. They need pavers to signal that its old...No, no, nobody cares that it doesn't reflect the true historical character of the neighborhood...New and repaired sidewalks!?...Why would we build those?...Because they're cheaper and we can build more of them!? What do you think, people are actually going to use them? You clearly misunderstand the purpose of this project. It is to make the neighborhood look nice...Don't be so flippant, nice is what I tell the people that it is. They should be grateful that I'm making their early 20th century neighborhood look like a cheap 21st century interpretation of 19th century Charleston..."

Didn't know about this. Thanks for posting.

I think that pavers are getting a bit cliched, though, as some sort of supposedly "unique" architectural element. Except for a stretch of Navigation, I don't think that they have anything at all to do with the East End.

Its as though the planner just said: "Its an old neighborhood. Old neighborhoods should have pavers...Why? Well, that way you know its old. I mean after all, those dumb ____s that actually live and work there couldn't possibly already know that its old. They need pavers to signal that its old...No, no, nobody cares that it doesn't reflect the true historical character of the neighborhood...New and repaired sidewalks!?...Why would we build those?...Because they're cheaper and we can build more of them!? What do you think, people are actually going to use them? You clearly misunderstand the purpose of this project. It is to make the neighborhood look nice...Don't be so flippant, nice is what I tell the people that it is. They should be grateful that I'm making their early 20th century neighborhood look like a cheap 21st century interpretation of 19th century Charleston..."

I believe this streetscaping project is the one that is several years old and is being handled by the architect (can't remember his name) that did the red balls on the bridges over the 59. And I am assuming the pavers are not necessarily to make it seem vintage but rather to allow for artistic patterns to be created. I have noticed that the ones on Main are developing rather large potholes along the curbs, so their practicality in the longer term might be suspect.

I believe this streetscaping project is the one that is several years old and is being handled by the architect (can't remember his name) that did the red balls on the bridges over the 59. And I am assuming the pavers are not necessarily to make it seem vintage but rather to allow for artistic patterns to be created. I have noticed that the ones on Main are developing rather large potholes along the curbs, so their practicality in the longer term might be suspect.

the paver thing is a joke downtown. they should have done it with decorative concrete instead and the maintenance would be less. some of the sidewalks are also developing holes and the city isn't doing much to correct the problem. somebody definitely made some money off of those!

Bohemios is not really a cafe like Flores; it's a little coffee bar/bar, BYO in the evenings. More of a performance space for music, spoken word, etc, with refreshments. Young arty crowd. Seems to be doing ok. They have a website.

The thai place is Kanomwan and it's some of the best Thai in the city. You should go, it's really, really good food. It relocated from the old Telephone road location a few years ago. Very plain inside and BYO. Lots of people bring in wine for dinner.

There is actually an art crowd in this area? :o Now if only we could take that same group and expand the membership 10 fold! I will advertise and campaign to enlarge. PS, Glad to see some of the former Montrose residents coming this way. The area youth really needs more exposure to the fine arts. If I could I would take bus loads to the nearby symphony and various art venues. Kids need to be immersed in this stuff, like now.

I have to try that Thai place. Now you got me lusting for the food! Yum, yum Wouldn't it be cool if we had a small Thai or Korean village? add to East End wish list!

There is actually an art crowd in this area? :o Now if only we could take that same group and expand the membership 10 fold! I will advertise and campaign to enlarge.

Actually, the East End has historically been a pretty artsy place. Its glory faded a bit in the 80's and 90's, but Commerce Street is a gem and there are a heck of a lot of artists living in Eastwood, Lawndale, and other nearby neighborhoods. The couple that started Bohemio's live in Broadmoor. There are also commercial art and design studios on Navigation at York and along Canal.

Go to any artists' event and listen to the chatter. East End and Acres Homes are the buzz. The smart money ( ;) ) is targeting 77003, 77023, and 77011.

Glad you mentioned PORT of Houston. Most Houstonians do not know that there are free boat tours through the ship channel. Doesn't sound too romantic, but you get a fantastic behind-the-scenes views of a ships prespective as it enters the port. I went on a tour with about 45 people at night and its a different world over/down there. I think this tour is more for the business people that come from all over the world but everyone needs to check it out. Very interesting to see the little islands and wildlife that is still around. Must take camera. Google for schedule/dates/times.

I went on that cruise and it was really cool. Although I went in the day - maybe I should go again at night if they are still offering the night cruise. The lights on those refineries are surreal looking sometimes.

I think it would be great if there was a nice enough public place for people to sit and watch the ships come through (instead of just parking lots and industrial areas). They did this in my hometown on the Welland Canal, and it is a very popular spot despite the industrial nature of other parts of the Canal.

cool. Thanks niche!

If there were a BargeCam for the port I would probably bookmark it-- Something about the combination of water and big industry. As a kid in the 70s the school field trips up the channel were always a big hit. What do kids do these days? The Big 3 were ship channel, NASA, battleship texas/ San Jac monument. By 3rd or 4th grade you had seen 'em all.

Back to the east end: yes, quite the artistic community. 2 of my close neighbors are working artists. The DiverseWorks director lives around the corner. The current civic assoc. president is with the Society for the Performing Arts. A number of academics in the hood too. Luckily the dull corporate drones like me are welcomed with open arms. Showing up frequently with a couple of bottles of wine always works. ^_^

cool. Thanks niche!

Back to the east end: yes, quite the artistic community. 2 of my close neighbors are working artists. The DiverseWorks director lives around the corner. The current civic assoc. president is with the Society for the Performing Arts. A number of academics in the hood too. Luckily the dull corporate drones like me are welcomed with open arms. Showing up frequently with a couple of bottles of wine always works. ^_^

No way are you a "dull corporate drone"!!! You are a patron of the arts, and those of us who make art couldn't exist without you!

No way are you a "dull corporate drone"!!! You are a patron of the arts, and those of us who make art couldn't exist without you!

Why, thanks. :rolleyes: I have a great appreciation for those who can bring a voice, or meaning, to that which most of us can't.

Talk is cheap, as they say.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Let's add expensive high rise apartments/condo's.

It would give the place a touch of class. Best views of the city too. :D

That would be cool, huh? Start a small cluster of highrises for another mini skyline? But ya know, I wonder if that could end up being a major selling point? You'd have all skylines in view, at least one side of the buildings would.

That would be cool, huh? Start a small cluster of highrises for another mini skyline? But ya know, I wonder if that could end up being a major selling point? You'd have all skylines in view, at least one side of the buildings would.

Try to picture both sides of 45 starting at Woodridge or 610 as you enter DT lined with highrises. It would be fantastic!

Pretty much be a grand gateway into Houston. Maybe in the far future?

Best of all, no one would have to see those fugly concrete multi-colored pillars below at Wayside/45. :lol:

Below is what I want now!

ctba01vg6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Try to picture both sides of 45 starting at Woodridge or 610 as you enter DT lined with highrises. It would be fantastic!

Pretty much be a grand gateway into Houston. Maybe in the far future?

Best of all, no one would have to see those fugly concrete multi-colored pillars below at Wayside/45. :lol:

Below is what I want now!

ctba01vg6.jpg

Those look like board game peices for the ETs. Or maybe snacks. Chips and dip in the east end.

• 4 months later...

At the very beginning of Telephone Road or rather near Dumble/Telephone Road intersection, an Advance Auto Parts is to be built. There once stood a Conoco gas station in that very spot. This gas station was very convenient to everyone in the area. Not sure why they closed it and took down. Lot remained vacant for decades. Great to see that something is finally being built there. About a block from that liquor store or the Telephone curve as we used to call it. :P

If this whole corridor were to start placing new shops, retail, etc it would greatly enhance all and spark greater interest to newcomers.

The beginning of Telephone Road has some great old commercial buildings. Imagine if the area were rejuvenated as a pedestrain-friendly corridor with restaurants and coffee shops...

Like some sections of State Street in Santa Barbara, CA yes. I know dream on.

State-Street-Sidewalk.jpgLake-Cachuma-52.JPGIMG_3007.JPG

What we really need is more recreational facilities for the children & senior group.

I say the addition of :

1. A set of Olympic sized Swimming Pool's with top professional instructors like they do for the people out in The Woodlands.

2. A huge multi sectioned Ice Skating Rink. All children need to learn to ice skate, could become tomorrow's champions!

3. Can for get the elderly! A huge 5 star hotel type of retirement facility like the ones we see in the Galleria area.

This area deserves all of these amenities. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like to keep my wish list back down on earth:

Regarding children, why don't we start with keeping them in school and refraining from having babies at 16. Planned Parenthood appears to have plans for a big facility where the old bank is on the corner of the Spur and 1-45 frontage. Perhaps that's a start for a side of town without low/no cost women's and sexual health providers.

Pets spayed and neutered, and not chained up half-dead from starvation in the yard, or out roaming the streets.

Outreach to help the elderly or disabled maintain their homes.

• 3 weeks later...
Having recently moved in this area (Near East End) I have begun notice certain conveniences that are lacking. With the large number of new homes being built in the area there is a certain need for some of these services. What are your thoughts?

Modern, state of the art, upscale, Bowling Alley's :D

pearl_ame_bowling_web.jpg

Archived