East End Wishlist

Wish List  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the East End in the most need of?

• Boutique Shop(s) - Coffee, Clothes, Food
    • Grocery Store
    • Multi-Use High Rise(s)
    • More Townhome(s)
    • Restaurant(s)
    • Starbucks / Cafes
    • Park / Green Space
    • Warehouse Conversion(s)
    • Car Wash
    • Farmers Market
    • Sidewalks
    • Liquor Stores
    • Bar(s) - Wine, Sports, Lounge
    • Places to enjoy Skyline - Establishments with Rooftop Decks
    • Gas Station(s)
    • Lightrail
    • Pharmacy
    • Other

My wife and I will be moving into the area next month. I'm tempted to say a grocery store, but the HEB in Gulfgate isn't THAT far. I would just like to see some more restaurant choices. Enjoy District 7 at lunch time, but I'm not really sure where else people in the area eat.

The chain situation on the east side is lacking which is great. there are many good if not great mom and pop places.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool, thanks for that.

Is Kim Son still over there, or did they move that location to downtown? I saw one downtown, but I wasn't sure if the one by 59 was still open.

If so, do you guys think that kim son over there is what was keeping Chinatown together? Or at least the anchor of it?

Kim Son as far as I know is the Last Of The Mohican's as far as old Chinatown is concerned. There are a few smaller cafes like in the market near St Emanuel and that nasty Silver House or is it Yit n ho or something funky like that. Its pretty much a ghost town (no pun intended Halloween) except for The Meridien rock n roll place and the small "modeling studios" ;) that are in the dark/shadier backgrounds.

No longer the World of Suzie Wong around here old chum.

I live in Idylwood and I think we need a dry cleaner establishment in the area ... I am close to Gulfgate, therefore to HEB and other places, but there's no a dry cleaner!!!!!! Some coffes or restaurants will be nice, too. We have a nice place in Idylwood, Cafe Flores, coffee is good and the sandwiches are great!

ROBERTO

NO TOWNHOMES!

I live in Idylwood and I think we need a dry cleaner establishment in the area ... I am close to Gulfgate, therefore to HEB and other places, but there's no a dry cleaner!!!!!! Some coffes or restaurants will be nice, too. We have a nice place in Idylwood, Cafe Flores, coffee is good and the sandwiches are great!

ROBERTO

NO TOWNHOMES!

Speaking of dry cleaners. I was floored when I drove down 67th and saw that Acme cleaners was still there. Its close to Canal right by Seller Bros. My mom and grandmother had their dry cleaning done there in the early 60's. The sign is still the same.

Last time we had a decent Cleaner's were the 2 on Lawndale near corner of Dismuke (Pilgrim Cleaner's sign still there) and the other was just next block from where Chuck Wagon used to be or across from the Lawndale Post Office. There was a sign on that now empty lot stating a shopping center or laundramat was coming soon and that was about 4 years ago. :blink:

Nearest ok cleaners is the one next to James Coney Island or next to Slick Willie's Pool dive. I would NOT use the one next to the Eastwood Transit Center they destroy your expensive clothes. Long story.

I tried to do a bit of East End exploring today, and I noticed LOTS of homeless people sleeping behind Minute Maid Park near the parking lots that are potentially going to become the Dynamo stadium. Does anybody know what is going on there? There must have been 50 people sleeping on the side of the road over there. Only 1 block away was a really nice looking loft apartment building. It was even worse than midtown. Actually, I drove down San Jacinto this morning and there was not one homeless dude hanging out outside of the SEARCH building (or whatever it's called). I was really surprised! Maybe they all moved to the East End?

I think there is one or two places on Congress that feed the homeless. Congress Ave. has a long history of attracting street persons. The bail bond place on the corner [? streeet] was a former gathering place until it was renovated. Friends of the family owned a company/building on Congress & made the upstairs one of the earliest "lofts" in that area. They said the street people never caused them any problems. I thought that was amazing.

I tried to do a bit of East End exploring today, and I noticed LOTS of homeless people sleeping behind Minute Maid Park near the parking lots that are potentially going to become the Dynamo stadium. Does anybody know what is going on there? There must have been 50 people sleeping on the side of the road over there. Only 1 block away was a really nice looking loft apartment building. It was even worse than midtown. Actually, I drove down San Jacinto this morning and there was not one homeless dude hanging out outside of the SEARCH building (or whatever it's called). I was really surprised! Maybe they all moved to the East End?

just like in midtown, there are several shelters in the vicinity and have been for yrs. nothing new here.

My wife and I will be moving into the area next month. I'm tempted to say a grocery store, but the HEB in Gulfgate isn't THAT far. I would just like to see some more restaurant choices. Enjoy District 7 at lunch time, but I'm not really sure where else people in the area eat.

Depending on where are you gonna live, you may want to take a look at the HEB in Scott and Old Spanish trail (and stop at Frenchie's while you're at it).

Depending on where are you gonna live, you may want to take a look at the HEB in Scott and Old Spanish trail (and stop at Frenchie's while you're at it).

That area is not considered East End. Its a world away from what the topic meant, sorry. More like south east of downtown or TSU area as its better known.

Frenchie's is delicious though. Can't get more orginal than that. Which does raise a good question we do need to add a new Frenchie's to Gulfgate area or here around. :P

Drove around the east end parts again today.

I think it was a couple blocks from 59 and maybe Clinton? that there were a ton of people just hangin around outside. Not sure if they were bums or what. If people are willing to pay a bunch of money to live right near there, then the east end has a brighter future. I drove by the parking garage at the Canal St. Apts, and there are some not-so-cheap cars in there. And the thing about those apts, there are some low-income, or subsidized, housing just north of them. Not that poor people are scary, but there's a stereotype that goes w/ 'em.

And I guess it's the warehouse district that's southeast of that area that's real nice, too. You know what I mean, right near those Perry Home townhomes being built? That place could be a potential goldmine for family types. I know it was a Saturday, but it was nice and quiet w/ almost zero traffic.

And I guess it's the warehouse district that's southeast of that area that's real nice, too. You know what I mean, right near those Perry Home townhomes being built? That place could be a potential goldmine for family types.
So why would it be a potential goldmine for family types?

So why would it be a potential goldmine for family types?

It probably won't be, but it could. I don't know how the schools are, but I don't see why it couldn't be a good place for families. There was pretty much zero traffic and it seems like a place kids could run around outside.

It probably won't be, but it could. I don't know how the schools are, but I don't see why it couldn't be a good place for families. There was pretty much zero traffic and it seems like a place kids could run around outside.

The demographics of the schools are terrible. Way too many poor brown-skinned people. Now, I myself went to schools with even worse demographics, so I'll be the first to dispute that it really and truely matters, but it matters to enough people that the neighborhood wouldn't be perceived as family-friendly. I do wonder what it might take for the management district to expand its boundaries just a bit to encompass a larger tax base (without taking in any of the poor neighborhoods), then set up a small K-12 private school. Properly advertised, that could be enormously helpful in furthering the neighborhood's appeal to families and stimulating growth.

Also, the City needs to invest a bit of money in acquiring at least two or three full blocks for parks. Aside from Settegast Park in a rough neighborhood to the east and Discovery Green on the opposite side of the freeway, there aren't any.

But you're definitely right that the East Downtown warehouse district does have an advantage over somewhere like Midtown in that traffic is light. It isn't a thru-route. And while there is moderate traffic to connect downtown with Harrisburg, Navigation, and Jensen, and also along Polk, Leeland, and Jefferson, it typically is very confined to a small number of routes and just isn't as overwhelming.

I think it was a couple blocks from 59 and maybe Clinton? that there were a ton of people just hangin around outside. Not sure if they were bums or what

I saw that too, last weekend. Check out post number 37.

I think I was told there is some sort of homeless shelter around there. When I drove by there were people walking, standing around, sleeping on the sidewalks and in the grass, it was pretty weird. Surprisingly, for the last 2 weeks I haven't seen a single homeless person sleeping on San Jacinto, so maybe they all moved to the East End. :)

I saw that too, last weekend. Check out post number 37.

I think I was told there is some sort of homeless shelter around there. When I drove by there were people walking, standing around, sleeping on the sidewalks and in the grass, it was pretty weird. Surprisingly, for the last 2 weeks I haven't seen a single homeless person sleeping on San Jacinto, so maybe they all moved to the East End. :)

Yeah, I saw your post. What I saw was just confined to one intersection area more or less. Not too bad compared to LA's skidrow, I think it's called.

The demographics of the schools are terrible. Way too many poor brown-skinned people. Now, I myself went to schools with even worse demographics, so I'll be the first to dispute that it really and truely matters, but it matters to enough people that the neighborhood wouldn't be perceived as family-friendly.

I did quite a bit of driving. Most of it was done outside what you would probably call the East End. I started around Navigation and went north on Simpson? (that street name constantly changed). Going north, I went over a bridge that crosses the bayou and right next to it was a park w/ a couple soccer fields. It even had some bike/walking trails that seemed kept (maybe that'll give you an idea as to where I was at since I forget street names). I traveled about a mile or two past I-10 and then came back.

Of course I only drove through and didn't spend enough time to get a real feel for the neighborhoods, but they seemed pretty safe to me. Although the houses are old and small, they seemed to be owned by well to do people. I didn't have an unsafe feeling at all. A couple weeks ago I drove down Scott from UH to Timmy Chans. I didn't feel unsafe, but maybe I was being a little naive. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did feel unsafe. Comparing the two 'hoods, they had two totally different feels. People just need to get past the skin color.

And when you talk about the demographics, are you talking about perception, color, grades, safety? Safety would be my only concern as a parent. However, prejudices and misconceptions can be hard to overcome for those that have never been in that type of environment. It's almost a different world for someone who only knows the suburbs.

I did quite a bit of driving. Most of it was done outside what you would probably call the East End. I started around Navigation and went north on Simpson? (that street name constantly changed). Going north, I went over a bridge that crosses the bayou and right next to it was a park w/ a couple soccer fields. It even had some bike/walking trails that seemed kept (maybe that'll give you an idea as to where I was at since I forget street names). I traveled about a mile or two past I-10 and then came back.

Of course I only drove through and didn't spend enough time to get a real feel for the neighborhoods, but they seemed pretty safe to me. Although the houses are old and small, they seemed to be owned by well to do people. I didn't have an unsafe feeling at all. A couple weeks ago I drove down Scott from UH to Timmy Chans. I didn't feel unsafe, but maybe I was being a little naive. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did feel unsafe. Comparing the two 'hoods, they had two totally different feels. People just need to get past the skin color.

And when you talk about the demographics, are you talking about perception, color, grades, safety? Safety would be my only concern as a parent. However, prejudices and misconceptions can be hard to overcome for those that have never been in that type of environment. It's almost a different world for someone who only knows the suburbs.

Yeah, you were on Sampson, which is also York, Hirsch, and Scott Street at various points along its route. The park was Tony Marron Park. Going north toward I-10, you entered the Fifth Ward, which isn't technically the East End and is a notoriously bad neighborhood. South of I-45 is the Third Ward, which is marginally better than the Fifth. Once you get near and then cross Brays Bayou as you're heading toward Timmy Chan's, it gets much better, and if you'd continued south, it would've gotten worse again, but still probably not as bad as the Third or Fifth Wards. And when I'm judging good or bad neighborhoods, I'm generally relying on perceived cleanliness and safety as well as household income stats.

I've spent a fair bit of time around UH and down towards Old Spanish Trail not only because that's where I went to school but because I've had a fairly large amount of business activity concentrated in that area. I've had to pull over, get out of the car, walk around, take photos, tour shopping centers and apartments, etc. Never had any problems. In fact, I'm often asked by locals whether I need assistance.

I have done some work in the east end over the last 12 months. I drive down Polk and a couple other streets that run parrallel with it. I love the old houses and schools. Every time I drive through I can imagine how it ways 50 years ago. I think the hoods are great and the people I have met are great. Their are a lot of hidden great areas in the east end. I wish I could express it better...........

It was sad the other day though.... I had a hour or two to kill so I dove around and explored 5th ward, North of I-10 along the railroad yard, betwwen Lockwood and Waco. I could never imagine people living like this in any U.S. city.... Kids were playing in ditches and the houses were falling down, 20 to a block. The roads were barely drivable. Their were no parks, no store, not a thing for people. Even the metro stops didin't have a bench. The city stuck this hood in the bottom of the list and forgotten about it. Its like a third world country around there...

Surprisingly, for the last 2 weeks I haven't seen a single homeless person sleeping on San Jacinto, so maybe they all moved to the East End. :)

you can attend the homeless church. it is held right under the pierce elevated. there are signs and eveyrthing. last time i saw it there were probably 100 people.

I have done some work in the east end over the last 12 months. I drive down Polk and a couple other streets that run parrallel with it. I love the old houses and schools. Every time I drive through I can imagine how it ways 50 years ago. I think the hoods are great and the people I have met are great. Their are a lot of hidden great areas in the east end. I wish I could express it better...........

It was sad the other day though.... I had a hour or two to kill so I dove around and explored 5th ward, North of I-10 along the railroad yard, betwwen Lockwood and Waco. I could never imagine people living like this in any U.S. city.... Kids were playing in ditches and the houses were falling down, 20 to a block. The roads were barely drivable. Their were no parks, no store, not a thing for people. Even the metro stops didin't have a bench. The city stuck this hood in the bottom of the list and forgotten about it. Its like a third world country around there...

Lockwood near Waco sounds like the edge or center of Denver Harbor. Wait until you go around Englewood Freight Yards area, you aint seen nothing yet. Houston un-proud. Better yet, venture a tad further north to Kashmere Gardens area. Imagine it at night. It is still 1966 or as we call it "The Land that time forgot". Serious. I really would love to give a group tour one day (night).

Now back to topic. Near East End needs more Soup/Salad places cafes, let's add a piano bar! :lol:

let's add a piano bar! :lol:

You may be on to something.....the logo would sorta look like Howl at the Moon's except it would be a chupacabra, and instead of pianos it would feature dueling accordions. Viva East End!

Speaking of our lovely little patch of town, I finally got a new bike and spent some time tooling around Saturday. The Harrisburg hike and bike, sad to say, is pretty lame. Nice if you want to face a stop sign at every block and have a scenic view of people's backyards. Hopefully the one for the Heights will have a lot more straightaways. But it's a start, and you can cover a little ground without having to do it on Harrisburg, so....

It would be nice to see Cafe Flores open a second location b/w Eastwood and downtown. The townhomes continue to sprout like mushrooms. wonder if they could help suport a little cafe like that?

For those of you who haven't seen any visuals, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership has some pretty aggressive, long-range plans for the East sector along the bayou. Exciting plans! The challenge, IMO will be maintaining the level of support for the east sector that you see for the (wealthier and higher profile) west sector plans.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/pdf/East_Sector.pdf

The downtown sector work is equally impressive. Since the prison bond was rejected, the plans for that portion can hopefully go forward.

You may be on to something.....the logo would sorta look like Howl at the Moon's except it would be a chupacabra, and instead of pianos it would feature dueling accordions. Viva East End!

Speaking of our lovely little patch of town, I finally got a new bike and spent some time tooling around Saturday. The Harrisburg hike and bike, sad to say, is pretty lame. Nice if you want to face a stop sign at every block and have a scenic view of people's backyards. Hopefully the one for the Heights will have a lot more straightaways. But it's a start, and you can cover a little ground without having to do it on Harrisburg, so....

It would be nice to see Cafe Flores open a second location b/w Eastwood and downtown. The townhomes continue to sprout like mushrooms. wonder if they could help suport a little cafe like that?

That was hilarious! chupacabra indeed!

Has anyone ever been to that place called Bohemio's? I never knew it was right in that little shopping center behind the building with the turret on Lockwood and Telephone Rd is? If you drive under the arch to the back there it is! There is also a Korean or Chinese restuarant called Tai kwando or something like that? There they sit hidden from the street. Had it not been for one of the business there I never would have known it was there!

Totally hidden from all the hustle and bustle of Telephone Rd traffic. :ph34r: I had heard of these places but never knew where the hell they were. No wonder the world doesnt know they exist. or at least long time people in the area. I imagine Bohemio's is Mexican food? has that sound.

For those of you who haven't seen any visuals, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership has some pretty aggressive, long-range plans for the East sector along the bayou. Exciting plans! The challenge, IMO will be maintaining the level of support for the east sector that you see for the (wealthier and higher profile) west sector plans.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/pdf/East_Sector.pdf

The downtown sector work is equally impressive. Since the prison bond was rejected, the plans for that portion can hopefully go forward.

That sounds really great. I like the idea of the "Turning Basin Overlook Park". So many people don't even know the Port of Houston exists, because it's all industrial and there's nowhere to really go and see it. It would be fun to have a nice setting to watch the ships.

Archived