Is Iran Next?

Sunstar

Jon Lee Anderson's article in the New Yorker a few weeks back suggested that the next priority for the Bush administration was dealing with Iran's nuclear weapons program, perhaps even to the point of military conflict. Today it appears that the administration is making vague but threatening gestures towards Iran, with Secretary of State Rice hinting that if Iran does not live up to its obligations, "next steps would be in the offing."

I personally think that Iran will not budge on this issue. They know that the US Military is impossibly over-extended in Iraq and Afghanistan and could not handle a full-blown conflict in Iran. So my question is, where is this going? Also, do you think this has anything to do with Colin Powell's resignation?

Who is making threathening gestures? US or Iran? I go with the later. The Iranians will budge. Ronald Reagan proved that, and Jimmy Carter proved what a passivist approach would get us. I say we just look at history and learn from it. Condi Rice is no slouch. I trust she knows what to do and how to accompish it.

^ I hope so, because the last thing that the U.S. needs now is to have to deploy in a third middle eastern country before we have even pulled out of the first two countires.

And I hope that we just don't do it all trigger happy, excited about blowing up more buildings, if we go against Britain and our allies again, then we we'll be even more disliked in the rest of the world.

Archived