Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

Useful, maybe, but the design is so OTT for trips to the mall and such. Of course, I suppose Hummers are all about overdone styling.

I liked the ones from the late 1980s, before they started getting bulbous:

86accord.jpg

A hummer product is still a hummer product. There is a reason the military has mechanics in every convoy. They are needed to keep the things runnin.

The H1 hasn't changed since inception save for very minor changes. But it is a bit more delicate than people think. Having personally broken one, I consider myself accomplished.

Spit on Hummer all you want, but it is one GM brand that picked its target and hit it. Too many GM products are watered down versions of when the design team originally wanted. Blame it on the bean-counters, blame it on whatever, but most of their mainstream auto's just dont hit the target.

The Corvette, CTS, Hummer, and their full-size pickups are the only products that dont miss the target. Out of all the cars and trucks they make, thats sad.

Spit on Hummer all you want, but it is one GM brand that picked its target and hit it. Too many GM products are watered down versions of when the design team originally wanted. Blame it on the bean-counters, blame it on whatever, but most of their mainstream auto's just dont hit the target.

The Corvette, CTS, Hummer, and their full-size pickups are the only products that dont miss the target. Out of all the cars and trucks they make, thats sad.

If by hitting its target you mean a 20% decrease in sales, then, yes, GM is hitting its HUMMER target nicely.

http://media.gm.com:8221/servlet/GatewaySe...amp;docid=40014

The HUMMER was never a big seller, producing 30,000 to 40,000 in its 2002, 2003 heyday. Now, H1 is gone, H2 sales are destined for 12,000 or 13,000 sales in 2007, and even the supposedly fuel efficient H3 is dropping like a rock. Considering the H2 is only 5 years old, I don't know of any vehicle that has gone from "must have" to road kill in as short a time.

If by hitting its target you mean a 20% decrease in sales, then, yes, GM is hitting its HUMMER target nicely.

http://media.gm.com:8221/servlet/GatewaySe...amp;docid=40014

The HUMMER was never a big seller, producing 30,000 to 40,000 in its 2002, 2003 heyday. Now, H1 is gone, H2 sales are destined for 12,000 or 13,000 sales in 2007, and even the supposedly fuel efficient H3 is dropping like a rock. Considering the H2 is only 5 years old, I don't know of any vehicle that has gone from "must have" to road kill in as short a time.

I meant design targets. It hit what the designers intended to create. The H3 has one of the nicest interiors GM has created in the past 20 years.

I meant design targets. It hit what the designers intended to create. The H3 has one of the nicest interiors GM has created in the past 20 years.

The new Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche and the new Cadillac Escalade and CTS as well as Sierra and Yukon Denalis are all very nice interiors. The new Malibu is downright sexy.

I wasn't spitting on Hummer. I was simply sharing a truth. I love Hummers. They are fun. Just be prepared to drop some coin to maintain it.

The new Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche and the new Cadillac Escalade and CTS as well as Sierra and Yukon Denalis are all very nice interiors. The new Malibu is downright sexy.

I mentioned Full sized trucks (that includes SUV's) as well as the CTS in my earlier post.

I disagree that the new Malibu is sexy inside or out, but design is subjective.

I haven't seen the new Malibu in person, but it doesn't look bad in the pictures. Somehow I can't associate "Chevy Malibu" with "sexy". The current Impala was certainly an improvement over the last version.

The new Impala (also a Holden design like the G8) will be a much sexier car than previous gens ('cept for the 95-96 SS's, those were hot).

Buick's new Park Avenue in China gives Maybach's a run for their money

I heard GM is going to try and bring more GM Holden cars over from Austrailia. I like their wagon and Ute.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/

Yeah, that rumor has been around. Right now the dollar is pretty weak, so imports would be expensive. Building replicas in the US might be more economical, like how Saturns now are Opels with different badges.

Buick's new Park Avenue in China gives Maybach's a run for their money

:o Are you sure the Maybachs aren't running in the other direction?

Yeah, that rumor has been around. Right now the dollar is pretty weak, so imports would be expensive. Building replicas in the US might be more economical, like how Saturns now are Opels with different badges.

:o Are you sure the Maybachs aren't running in the other direction?

The G8 is a Holden Commodore. They aren't importing them from Australia, they are building Holden designed cars since GM owns Holden (just like Opel with the Astra and Aura).

As far as the Buick, the Chinese apparently LOVE Buicks, it is THE luxury brand there. http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/04/2008-...hinese-get.html

Perhaps an S-Class/7-Series would be a more appropriate comparison.

Yeah, but taht difference would be lost in emissions compliance, tariffs and transport. There is a reason why Holden vehicles with the same power plants as their US counterparts (GTO, Corvette, etc) have higher power output. The emissions laws there are far more lax.

The G8 is a Holden Commodore. They aren't importing them from Australia, they are building Holden designed cars since GM owns Holden (just like Opel with the Astra and Aura).

As far as the Buick, the Chinese apparently LOVE Buicks, it is THE luxury brand there. http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/04/2008-...hinese-get.html

Perhaps an S-Class/7-Series would be a more appropriate comparison.

I haven't seen the G8. The former GTO was a Holden Monaro. A Holden with a very bland design.

Btw, an Australian friend says that in Australia the Monaro/GTO has a very "boy racer" image, and he wouldn't ever drive one.

I haven't seen the G8. The former GTO was a Holden Monaro. A Holden with a very bland design.

Btw, an Australian friend says that in Australia the Monaro/GTO has a very "boy racer" image, and he wouldn't ever drive one.

In Oz, perhaps. Just like a 3series BMW Coupe has that image in the UK while it is a decently prestigious car here.

I personally like the GTO, but I don't love it. I wouldn't own one, but I'd certainly drive one again.

It's not bad, but the curved indentation between the wheels makes it look like it has a sagging belly.

The new Malibu is downright sexy.

Isn't the new Malibu another iteration of the Saturn Aura/Opel Vectra? I was looking at pictures and the interiors look almost identical.

Yep, nothing like some good ol' "torque steer" to throw you into a ditch, huh ?

I'm just saying, I can't recall seeing a whole heck of alot of FWD racecars out there.

are you talking about aftermarket or stock. the new mazdaspeed3 is the fastest FWD stock car to come out recently...

• 3 weeks later...