Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

Here's a report on auto safety in which they put a 1959 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu on a head on test to see which would fare better. WARNING, a nice looking classic car gets crashed in this video.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/technology-reduces-severity-car-crashes-fatalities-injuries/story?id=8523234

The SLS' new grille looks like a throwback to older models. It doesn't really mesh well in my opinion. The profile of the car is kind of odd too...I know it's a v12 but I think it just looks TOO unbalanced front to back. I guess I'll stick with the SLR for now...

A throwback to older models? Isn't that kind of the point, that it's meant to be a latter-day version of a 300SL?

Also, it's not a V12 - it's a 6.3 (really 6.2) liter V8, hence the 6.3 badging.

A throwback to older models? Isn't that kind of the point, that it's meant to be a latter-day version of a 300SL?

Also, it's not a V12 - it's a 6.3 (really 6.2) liter V8, hence the 6.3 badging.

I'm sure it is meant to be a throwback, like a lot of the other car companies are doing these days. I just don't think the grille fits this car. As far as the engine, that's my bad. I thought I had read about it coming out with a V-12. The fact that it's just a V-8 really makes me wonder why they elongated the front end so much.

• 1 month later...

New US-spec Buick Regal (Opel Insignia via China).

buick-regal-spy.jpg

I saw one of those on I-45 in Conroe about 2 weeks ago. IMO, it looks better photographed than it does in person.

Nevermind, it was a 2010 LaCrosse that I saw.

Edited by JLWM8609

New US-spec Buick Regal (Opel Insignia via China).

I'm surprised they're reviving the tainted Regal nameplate. But I guess if it works in China they might as well try it here in the U.S.

What's more surprising is that Buick seems to be outdoing Lexus all of a sudden...

I'm surprised they're reviving the tainted Regal nameplate. But I guess if it works in China they might as well try it here in the U.S.

What's more surprising is that Buick seems to be outdoing Lexus all of a sudden...

Exactly. The whole brand is tainted. They should call it the Opel Insignia here too. Ford tried that with Merkur in the 80s and failed but the American brands are far more damaged now than they were in the 80s.

Edited by jgriff

Buick always does well in these comparisons. The problem is that their image simply doesn't match up to Lexus.

Exactly. The whole brand is tainted. They should call it the Opel Insignia here too. Ford tried that with Merkur in the 80s and failed but the American brands are far more damaged now than they were in the 80s.

True indeed. It will take some time to repair the damage they've inflicted on their image over the years. But that doesn't generally concern me personally. Granted, I don't see myself every buying a Buick, but I would never buy a Lexus either. Softy highway cruisers just aren't my thing. But if a carmaker with a previously bad image suddenly churns out the best world-class vehicles, I could care less about image if it's a great car that I find appealing.

Also interesting is how so many features and technologies have moved downmarket and made prestige brands less compelling in the process. Ford SYNC is a good example of this. It's better than any comparable systems in the prestige brands. I prefer driving a base-brand vehicle, and I think many younger folks feel the same way as long as the quality and technology is there.

True indeed. It will take some time to repair the damage they've inflicted on their image over the years. But that doesn't generally concern me personally. Granted, I don't see myself every buying a Buick, but I would never buy a Lexus either.

I made the mistake of buying a 2006 Lexus IS250. Never ever buy a Lexus if you are a true car enthusiast. I traded it in after 9 months.

Good news for wagon fans! Honda to introduce the European Accord "Tourer" in US as Acura TSX wagon. They're probably covering their tracks after people have been throwing up at the Crosstour.

In any case, in a (very) brief press release available after the jump, Acura has announced the addition of a TSX sport wagon to its 2011 lineup, and it will likely look suspiciously like the Euro-market Accord Touring model that many people have been clamoring for. Acura confirms that the model will be based on the TSX sedan, which is itself basically a Euro Accord.

hondaaccordtourer003_opt.jpg

Why? What did you not like about it?

1. It had the worst manual shifter I've ever had in a car. It felt like something out of a truck. On the test drive I thought I'd get used to it, I never did.

2. Not enough HP. I only drive manual transmission cars so I couldn't opt for the 350 since they don't offer a manual. The 250 doesn't have enough horsepower.

3. The seats were a cream colored leather. After a couple of months the "blue" from my jeans permanently discolored the seats.

I just bought an '09 Audi A4 2.0 for my wife, it's much better than the Lexus. I drive an '09 Porsche 911S, the shifter in the A4 is almost as good as the 911. It has around the same HP but much more torque than the IS. It feels like a sports car more than a 4 door. Occasionally my wife and I will trade cars for a day. It's really not a letdown going from the 911 to the A4.

Definitely like the S60, but I'm not a fan of the Jetta. The tail is attractive, but I don't like the front end, at least compared to the outgoing one. Too generic. Wonder if the new Passat replacement will be as bland?

My opinion is that they are both too small.

LOL! Naw... the truck is fine. As I've mentioned before, I previously owned a Taurus. That car was on the smaller side of things. These two look a lot smaller. My knees will prolly rest on the dash. sad.gif

I'm 6'3" and I fit fine in cars this size. Of course, I effectively reduce the cars to two-seaters.

Good point. Same here. I would try them out if I were in the market for cars such as this. But naw... smile.gif

I still don't think I would be in the market for one. Long term, you have to consider maintenance costs, and VWs are not cheap to repair. Plus, the infant seat takes up far too much space to eliminate the need for room in the back.