Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

TL. You're right, nice car that was beat with an ugly stick. They could easily improve things a bit by taking that thing off of the grill.

Several dealers are painting the grilles to give them a better look. I saw a black one at the dealer today with it done.

This is from another forum though:

09tlnosacaine009iz7.jpg

332cxol.jpg

flipper

That's the euro tsx you posted. I don't believe there is a JDM version of the TL.

flipper

You are correct. Our TSX is everyone else's Accord. No one (except perhaps some random Asian or Latin countries) gets our Accord, and no one else outside NA gets the TL. The TSX is now the least offensive of the Acura passenger cars.

You are correct. Our TSX is everyone else's Accord. No one (except perhaps some random Asian or Latin countries) gets our Accord, and no one else outside NA gets the TL. The TSX is now the least offensive of the Acura passenger cars.

The US Accord split off from the international version several generations ago. Amazing that a car once known for being trim and agile is now a bit of a bloat-mobile.

The US Accord split off from the international version several generations ago. Amazing that a car once known for being trim and agile is now a bit of a bloat-mobile.

My dad has an 08 Accord EXV6, which he proudly calls his "old man car" (got it after his company-leased Range Rover expired in more ways than one). It has a very nice interior, but is as floaty as a Japanese car can be.

My dad has an 08 Accord EXV6, which he proudly calls his "old man car" (got it after his company-leased Range Rover expired in more ways than one). It has a very nice interior, but is as floaty as a Japanese car can be.

Yeah, I kind of look at the Accord as today's equivalent of the Buick LeSabre my father used to drive.

• 2 months later...
A really, really ugly Porsche - the new Panamera:

You aren't kidding! Now I love the whole coupe-as-sedan thing as much as anyone (the Volkswagen CC does it best), but wow that is ugly. I admit that the Cayenne's ugliness has grown on me (like a wart), but the only nice thing about the Panamera is the name. It even makes the gap-tooth TL look like a supermodel.

You aren't kidding! Now I love the whole coupe-as-sedan thing as much as anyone (the Volkswagen CC does it best).

I agree about the VW "CC", i saw it again at the car show last night and it almost resembles the Mercerdes CLS at half the price.

Several dealers are painting the grilles to give them a better look. I saw a black one at the dealer today with it done.

This is from another forum though:

332cxol.jpg

flipper

Wow, even when repainted, that grille overhang is hideous! It looks like a giant bucktooth. Acura used to have some cool looking cars, but I see nothing interesting in their current lineup.

The Panamera is awkward looking in photos, but I'm sure that when it goes down the street it won't be mistaken for another make. And that's the idea behind it.

Looking like this you would think that they would WANT to be mistaken for another make.

Here is BMW's entry in the sedan-that-looks-like-a-coupe sweepstakes. What do you think?

bmw_5_series_gt_small_3-0213-630x360.jpg

Looking like this you would think that they would WANT to be mistaken for another make.

Here is BMW's entry in the sedan-that-looks-like-a-coupe sweepstakes. What do you think?

bmw_5_series_gt_small_3-0213-630x360.jpg

Definitely not as tasty as the CC or CLS. The front- and rear end are too upright. IMO, it isn't worth the compromise in backseat comfort...I'll stick with the 5-series (though it does give some clue as to the look of the next 5-series--upright grills are back, baby!)

• 1 month later...

How often should I do a coolant flush? I know after a while there is scaling and potential for corrosion, but on newer vehicles (2004 and 2005 is what we have) what's the good standard for flushing and replacing? Also, I've never done it before but it seems like it would be damn easy. Or is this one of those things that's just easier to bring over to Jiffy Lube and have it done?

How often should I do a coolant flush? I know after a while there is scaling and potential for corrosion, but on newer vehicles (2004 and 2005 is what we have) what's the good standard for flushing and replacing? Also, I've never done it before but it seems like it would be damn easy. Or is this one of those things that's just easier to bring over to Jiffy Lube and have it done?

Honestly depends on what coolant was used from the factory. Some coolant is made to last 5 years/100,000 miles.

However, I still change mine every 30K miles.

Its really easy. Underneath the radiator, there will be a drain plug (or hose). You simply let all of the coolant drain out and refill.

Things to watch out for. This method is not a full flush. You will not be getting every last ounce of fluid out... but if you change it every 30-50k miles, it doesnt matter.

When you refill, start the car and check to make sure the temperature does not rise too far. It is possible to get air pockets in the lines... if this is the case, let the car cool, open the radiator cap and open the drain slightly letting just a bit of the coolant out. This should allow the system to purge the air. Tighten everything back up, and check again for temperature.

In this day and age, with 5+ different coolant formulations out there you have to RTFM to find out the proper interval. On some cars it is easy, on other cars it is difficult. If you have a vertical or near vertical radiator with a radiator cap on top, then chances are it will be pretty straightforward...all you need to do is drain the block and radiator, refill with water, drain again, refill with water, drain again, then refill with coolant and distilled water (or whatever TFM specifies). I always do the final refill as follows:

Fill system as full as possible, leaving radiator cap off

Pinch upper and lower radiator hoses to "burp" system, adding more coolant as air pockets come out

Start engine

Turn on heater

Wait for engine to come up to temperature, the thermostat to open, and all the air pockets to be forced out of the block

Add more coolant until full

Put radiator cap back on

Allow engine to cool

Check coolant level

Fill system as full as possible, leaving radiator cap off

Pinch upper and lower radiator hoses to "burp" system, adding more coolant as air pockets come out

Start engine

Turn on heater

Wait for engine to come up to temperature, the thermostat to open, and all the air pockets to be forced out of the block

Add more coolant until full

Put radiator cap back on

Allow engine to cool

Check coolant level

Don't you have to dispose of used coolant like used oil, only at certain recycling locations? Do you have to pay to dispose of it? Seems like this negates some of the benefit of DIY.

Don't you have to dispose of used coolant like used oil, only at certain recycling locations? Do you have to pay to dispose of it? Seems like this negates some of the benefit of DIY.

Its free. Pretty much any service station will take it for you. There are some public drop off locations around too, although I do not use those.