Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder

2010porscheboxsterspyderlive000.jpg

2010porscheboxsterspyderlive001.jpg

2010porscheboxsterspyderlive015.jpg

Porsche rolled out the 2010 Boxster Spyder, the third model in the Boxster lineup, for its world debut at the LA Auto Show, with an entirely new look and – we are led to believe – a driving personality nearly on par with the 911 GT3 RS.

Hidden deep and low in the belly of the Spyder is a tuned version of Porsche's 3.4-liter flat-six, rated at 320 hp (ten more than the Boxster S). While the added horses are welcome, it's the 176 pounds of mass lost that really raises our interest. To achieve these savings, Porsche has fitted the Spyder with a lightweight carbon fiber-ribbed soft top, unique rear decklid, low side windows, aluminum door skins and interior door panels with straps swapped from the 911 GT3 RS. Air conditioning, cupholders and an audio system have been left back on the factory floor (don't worry, Porsche will let you add them back for a price). With a curb weight of just 2,811 pounds, it is the lightest model in Porsche's lineup. With a power-to-weight ratio rivaling the Carrera S, the Boxster Spyder with a dual-clutch PDK transmission will now rip to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

However, that's only part of the enthusiast-oriented story. Porsche replaced the dampers with an all-new sport suspension, riding 20 mm lower than the other models, to drop the center of gravity and improve handling over the standard Porsche Boxster and Boxster S. Fitted with a standard limited-slip differential and lightweight wheels, the package looks just fine to us. As expected, the pure driving enjoyment of the Porsche Boxster Spyder won't come cheap – base pricing starts at $61,200 when it arrives in February 2010.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/02/2011-porsche-boxster-spyder-at-2009-la-auto-show/

Yep. There might also be a Buick version based on the Chinese Buick Excelle.

Here you go, a rendering of the Compact Sedan released during the LA Auto Show (Note: The vehicle on the left is the LaCrosse)

buick-render-1280.jpg

Likely based on the Chinese market 2011 Buick Excelle XT (a rebadged Opel Astra with an upmarket interior), the new compact four-door is expected to lose its hatch in favor of a traditional trunk and gain a 181 horsepower, 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder mated to a six-speed gearbox.

The sketch above (flashed on screen during the Regal unveiling here in LA) certainly bears a resemblance to the Excelle and to the larger LaCrosse, although a few tweaks to the fascia, headlamps and the addition of a few hood-mounted portholes could be found on the concept and later, the production model. We should know more later this year, when Buick unveils an official design study followed by the eventual production car that is expected by the end of 2010.

http://www.autoblog....-compact-sedan/

Edited by Urbannizer

More LA Auto Show Madness. Meet the 2011 U.S Spec Kia Sorento

03-2011-kia-sorento-live.jpg

04-2011-kia-sorento-live.jpg

12-2011-kia-sorento-live.jpg

Coupled to a 276 horsepower V6 and an all-new built in-house six-speed automatic, the Sorento is able to get up and boogie a bit. Or at least as much as a top heavy CUV can boogie. Check out our First Drive of the Kia Sorento (a pre-production model from Korea) for more details. Long story short, a base Sorento will start at under $20,000 – about $1,500 less than the outgoing body-on-frame model.

2010 Hyundai Tuscon

03-hyundai-tucson-live-la.jpg

05-hyundai-tucson-live-la.jpg

14-hyundai-tucson-live-la.jpg

The most impressive Tuscon attribute is in likelihood its frugal MPG rating. 23 miles per gallon in the city, 31 at highway speeds. In addition to the slight weight reduction, the Tuscon achieves these numbers via innovations such as a switch away from parasitic hydraulic power-steering in favor of an electric system. There's also an all new six-speed automatic that uses 62 fewer parts than the outgoing five-speed. Interestingly, the new slusher is built fully in house by Hyundai.

The engine of course contributes to the good-for-a-CUV mileage. The new Tuscon comes with a 2.4-liter Theta II four-cylinder that produces 176 hp and 168 lb-ft of torque. You will notice that the Tuscon does not come with the more powerful Gasoline Direct-Injection (GDI) Theta II that ships with the new Sonata. We asked Hyundai if a future iteration of the Tuscon (say the 2011) would in fact receive the GDI motor. "That's a logical conclusion."

We also asked if the turbocharged GDI motor would make it into the Tuscon. "It would fit." We then asked if we'll see a hybrid version as the new Sonata will eventually show up in gas-electric guise. "No comment." Then after a pause, "We all have to get to 35 mpg. Finally, we asked if we'd see an all-electric version of the Tuscon. We received another "No comment" but Hyundai North America President and CEO Jhn Kracfik did state that they will be selling an electric car in the States. As to when, "Not next year."

Freshened 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe

photo_092509_007.jpg

photo_092509_004.jpg

As you can see from the photo above, Hyundai's middle crossover offering is getting a new grille in keeping with the one we recently saw on the upcoming new Sonata. The bumper area is also re-contoured into a more subtle version of what is scheduled for the new Tucson coming to the LA Auto Show. The headlight clusters retain the same shape, but internal detailing has been revised. At the back, new taillights and re-shaping of the bumper area is also visible. No word yet on mechanical changes, although a new direct-injected four-cylinder has been rumored.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/25/spy-pics-refreshed-2010-hyundai-santa-fe-spotted-camo-free/

2011 Honda Cr-Z revealed in brochure

01-honda-crz-brochure-tov.jpg

02-honda-crz-brochure-tov.jpg

05-honda-crz-brochure-tov.jpg

The official Japanese domestic market brochure for the 2010 Honda CR-Z hybrid coupe has surfaced online revealing the hybrid coupe in full production glory.

Furthermore, we get the chance to see the hybrid-coupe fitted with several dealer options such as an aluminum trim exterior package, but most importantly, the leaflet provides us with engine specs, and preliminary performance and fuel economy figures.

The brochure confirms that the CR-Z's hybrid drivetrain will comprise of a 1.5-liter four-cylinder petrol unit and an electric motor, with power being delivers to the front wheels through a six-speed manual gearbox.

From what we gather (more accurate translations are welcome), the petrol engine delivers an output of 114ps (84kW or 113 HP) at 6,000 rpm and a peak torque of 145Nm (107 lb-ft) at 4,800 rpm, while the electric motor, 14ps (10kW or 13.4 HP) at 1,500 rpm and 78Nm (58 lb-ft) at 1,000 rpm.

The result is a not so sporty 0-100 km/h (62mph) sprint time of 9.7 seconds. The leaflet also makes word of a 25.0 km/lt (58.8mpg US or 4.0 lt/100km) and 22.5 km/lt (52.9 mpg US or 4.5 lt/100km) fuel consumption, but we don't know what the numbers refer to.

The new CR-Z hybrid will go on sale in Japan in February of 2010, with Europe and North America following shortly after.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/12/2010-honda-cr-z-hybrid-coupe-official.html

<br />It's been a long while since Honda made a car that I could get excited about.  That CR-Z is definitely it!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, the Cr-Z looks like the insight, it should've been called the Insght Coupe and the 1st generartion Insight was a 2-door.

More of the Cr-Z

01-mugen-crz-brochure.jpg

02-mugen-crz-brochure.jpg

mugen_cr-z-00.jpg

It's been a long while since Honda made a car that I could get excited about. That CR-Z is definitely it!

I'm kinda tired of the auto press acting like the CR-Z is the long-awaited second coming of the CRX. I drove a '90 CRX Si daily until about a year and a half ago, and the CR-Z is no latter-day CRX.

Lose the anemic hybrid powerplant, drop in one of the hot Japan-only engines that Honda steadfastly refuses to put in US cars (like the B16-powered CRXes that were common everywhere but here), beef up the suspension, and come in at a curb weight under 2300 lbs, and then they might be onto something that would get my attention. Until then, I'm not buying any of the hype.

I'm kinda tired of the auto press acting like the CR-Z is the long-awaited second coming of the CRX. I drove a '90 CRX Si daily until about a year and a half ago, and the CR-Z is no latter-day CRX.

Lose the anemic hybrid powerplant, drop in one of the hot Japan-only engines that Honda steadfastly refuses to put in US cars (like the B16-powered CRXes that were common everywhere but here), beef up the suspension, and come in at a curb weight under 2300 lbs, and then they might be onto something that would get my attention. Until then, I'm not buying any of the hype.

I dont care if you drop a W12 in there. It's too small.

I dont care if you drop a W12 in there. It's too small.

Too small for what? A large motor would ruin a car like this. It needs a small high reving motor like the ones Honda is so good at building. Weight is the enemy of a good car. In a contest between more horsepower and less weight the latter always wins.

Too small for what? A large motor would ruin a car like this. It needs a small high reving motor like the ones Honda is so good at building. Weight is the enemy of a good car. In a contest between more horsepower and less weight the latter always wins.

If it's not this, it's too small for LTAWACS:

0807trweb_17_z+4_wheel_jamboree_2008+ford_f550_super_duty.jpg

2012 Chevy Orlando - This will replace the Chevy HHR. Currently in its concept form, the Orlando looks like it will be pretty much the same as the production version, expect minor changes such as different tailights and headlights.

2012ChevyOrlando.jpg

2012Chevyorlando3.jpg

2012ChevyOrlando4.jpg

The interior is the same as the production version.

2012ChevyOrlando2.jpg

Based on the same Delta platform as the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, the Orlando will be motivated by a range of gas and diesel powerplants, displacing between 1.6L and 2.0L. The Orlando’s top engine offering will be a 2.0L diesel unit, putting out 150 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. Original reports suggest the production Orlando would employ five-speed transmissions, be we fully expect to see six-speed units in manual and automatic configurations. Although the Orlando will initially be offered exclusively with front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive model will join the lineup later on.

With a 2,760 mm wheelbase (108.7 inches), the Orlando can accommodate up to thre rows of seats, but the U.S. version will likely be a five-seater. The interior appears to be quite similar to the Cruze’s interior, with a waterfall center stack and switchgear out of GM’s current models.

Look for the Chevrolet Orlando to surface in U.S. showrooms in 2012.

http://www.leftlanen...et-orlando.html

Edited by Urbannizer

2012 Chevy Orlando - This will replace the Chevy HHR. Currently in its concept form, the Orlando looks like it will be pretty much the same as the production version, expect minor changes such as different tailights and headlights.

2012ChevyOrlando4.jpg

http://www.leftlanen...et-orlando.html

Pretty darn ugly if you ask me. It just looks so blunt or something. The fenders are way overdone.

too small for a person of my height to fit comfortably in it.

too small for a person of my height to fit comfortably in it.

I'm 6'1", and I fit comfortably in my CRX with probably 4-6" of leg room (and seat adjustment) to spare.

Not all smaller cars are so forgiving, however. I can barely fit in a Honda S2000 with the seat all the way back, and I've never tried it with the top up. And I still remember my disappointment the first time I sat in an Alfa GTA, a car I'd long lusted after, only to realize that actually driving it was completely out of the question unless I could somehow manage to do so with the bottom of the steering wheel jammed into the tops of my thighs.

I'm 6'1", and I fit comfortably in my CRX with probably 4-6" of leg room (and seat adjustment) to spare.

Not all smaller cars are so forgiving, however. I can barely fit in a Honda S2000 with the seat all the way back, and I've never tried it with the top up. And I still remember my disappointment the first time I sat in an Alfa GTA, a car I'd long lusted after, only to realize that actually driving it was completely out of the question unless I could somehow manage to do so with the bottom of the steering wheel jammed into the tops of my thighs.

Same here. I didnt fit in my friend's TSX? The little acura car... nor in a civic either. Ugh.

2011 Ashton Martin Rapide

astonmartinrapide046.jpg

astonmartinrapide051.jpg

astonmartinrapide017.jpg

astonmartinrapide010.jpg

astonmartinrapide054.jpg

A couple of days after announcing U.K. pricing for the the new Rapide, Aston Martin has now also priced the North American version of its slinky four-door. When Aston starts deliveries of its newest model next spring, U.S. customers will have to pony up a minimum of $199,950. Aston Martin dealers will doubtless provide clients with the opportunity to substantially elevate that price tag via costly personalization options. After all, when you're dropping that kind of coin, you don't want to see yourself coming and going all the time.

http://www.autoblog....-950-in-the-us/

Edited by Urbannizer