Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

The grill makes it look even more aggressive than without one. Don't you think, puUPpup? I mean, just look at it. One sad thing I must say is that coupled with the station wagon look, this acura will never get off the ground.

Does'nt look agressive to me. Well on their cars it do'nt. The grill does look ok on the 2010 MDX and RDX though.

Perhaps they are making a comeback due to the negative press surrounding SUV's coupled with the bland looks and anemic performance of mini-vans. Thoughts?

Well in all fairness any car can have anemic performance, not just minivans, but minivans have been falling out of favor for years. Part of it may be that automakers are gearing up for higher mileage requirements and realize some people need more room than in a sedan. It might also be just changing fashion that their marketing wizards have sussed out. Or they could be wrong and the wagons will bomb.

I've always been a wagon fan. Compared to a lot of SUVs wagons score higher for safety, performance and gas mileage, and in many cases have just as much interior room. Granted they had a bit of the geezish image, but apparently Cadillac, Acura and Mercedes are betting that will change.

^Lets hope they realize that grille is hideous and don't add it to the TSX Wagon.

How can they not realize? Every Acura car review says it!

Well, I'm officially in the market for a new car (well, new to me, I'm done with the new car depreciation hit, especially on more expensive cars). I could go test driving new cars all day long, I just love it, but I guess I'm nerdy that way. I'm not sure if I will go the CPO from a dealer, or save some bucks and go private party (knowing that the standard warranty is probably plenty for how long I will own the car). I'm pretty proud of myself, as I kept my 2006 GLI for over three years, some kind of record. What I'm looking at, and y'alls feedback is certainly welcome:

2008/9 BMW 335i sedan: drove a sport/premium yesterday and enjoyed the way it drove (much quieter than my GLI), but not wild about the interior finishes and design (my GLI has a better interior). This one didn't have iDrive.

2008/9 M-B C350: Plan to drive one today (Carmax has one, and is my preferred place to test drive cars). Fewer on the road than the BMW, and it is a newer design.

2008/9 Lexus IS350: Not sure why this one is on the list, I have never really paid attention to them. BUT I do like the look of them, and like the idea of an ultra-reliable car.

2008 Acura TL: Old version, standard or boy racer Type S.

2009 VW CC: Still loving the looks of this one, and the discounts on VR6 models are substantial (this would be the only new car I am considering).

Might also consider the 328i sport/premium (sedan or wagon), C300, or IS250 to save a few bucks.

Hopefully my current car won't take too long to sell!

Anyone here like the new Dodge Challenger? I've been seeing them on the road more often and I think I like em.

I'm not sure I like it. It's got such a bug butt. I like big butts as much as the next bloke but sometimes too much is too much. And it looks seriously underwheeled. Needs wider and larger wheels/tires. My friend's Taurus has got wider tires.

The new Dodge Challenger reminds me a little of an old Camaro but I hate the tail lights...

I think the newer Dodge cars look more refined than ever, but they are a constant target for cheesy bling upgrades which, imo, take it all a notch down.

As for the VW CCs, they look too much like Hondas on the front..

I kind of like the Dodge Challenger, even though I don't typically like muscle cars. It looks menacing, and the fact that it's kind of rare make it more interesting (vs. the Mustang which is everywhere). It does look a little bloated though - I would try to make it a little skinnier.

The problem I have with the VW CC is it's essentially just an expensive cosmetically altered version of the Passat. It has the front end of a Passat and the rear end of a Benz. The two don't seem to go together well - the front end looks too pedestrian for the overall look they're going for. If you primarily need functionality, the Passat is a fine car, but if you want something flashy, you might as well get an actual used benz.

2009_VW_CC.jpg

medium_2961250133_92c60989e1_o.jpg

Anyone here like the new Dodge Challenger? I've been seeing them on the road more often and I think I like em.

Its quite wide. Also don't like rear tailights. The Camaro looks better imo. There will be a conversion kit available soon to turn a Chevy Camaro to a Trans Am.

takm_lead.jpg

Link

It seems to me that the CC at $44K is WAY overprice. Plus the back seat is smallish. I would skip it entirely and maybe go for the IS.

As was noted, the 2.0T CC starts in the upper 30's, and is considered the volume leader. The upmarket VR6 and VR6 model with AWD is getting hit with huge discounts. People are actually reporting picking them up in the very low 30's, which is a great price considering the style and interior amenities.

I agree, however, about the practicality of it.

Drove a M-B C350 today, and was disappointed. While I like the exterior styling and the engine is terrific, the interior materials left a lot to be desired. I'm not sure I will keep it on my list.

Edited by travelguy_73

That makes me want to throw up. That car isn't worth a damn thing. It is the most generic piece of crap, I don't understand anyone who drives it unless they get stuck with a rental.

You mean the old one, right? The new one is likely to be a huge hit, and not just with fleets. The SHO, while pricey, will be a sleeper hit. I LOVE the Fors Sync system.

You mean the old one, right? The new one is likely to be a huge hit, and not just with fleets. The SHO, while pricey, will be a sleeper hit. I LOVE the Fors Sync system.

Historically I've never liked any Fords, but I'm coming to like a few like the Edge and another one I can't remember. If they are redoing the Taurus that much, they should just give it a new name. The name Taurus carries too much from its history.

Historically I've never liked any Fords, but I'm coming to like a few like the Edge and another one I can't remember. If they are redoing the Taurus that much, they should just give it a new name. The name Taurus carries too much from its history.

Actually it went the other way around. The last generation Ford Taurus started out as the Ford Five Hundred. The name was later changed to Taurus because management felt the Taurus name had a lot of "brand equity".

If Ford would bring back the SVT (or whatever they call the performance package now) 5-door Focus for a little under 20 grand, they might not completely suck.

I totally agree! The Focus we have in the US is just terrible. I had a rental Focus (forget the model, it was a 5-door hatch) in Ireland and it was very pleasant to drive. They have a newer model than we have, though. Another problem is that Americans see small cars as cheap, and so the automakers make them cheap. In Europe, they don't mind small, but want luxury, and so they have all these great little cars.

I totally agree! The Focus we have in the US is just terrible. I had a rental Focus (forget the model, it was a 5-door hatch) in Ireland and it was very pleasant to drive. They have a newer model than we have, though. Another problem is that Americans see small cars as cheap, and so the automakers make them cheap. In Europe, they don't mind small, but want luxury, and so they have all these great little cars.

I dont know about that... I think smaller cars are just riskier to drive. I would imagine one would get injured easier in them...

I dont know about that... I think smaller cars are just riskier to drive. I would imagine one would get injured easier in them...

Don't know about what, that the Focus in Europe is nicer than here? And yes if you are hit by a large SUV, you will certainly have a greater risk of injury, but there is nothing inherently unsafe about small cars, only the differential in size between them and the largest passenger trucks and SUVs.

VW CEO Says Phaeton Will Return to the U.S.

In an interview with the Detroit News, Volkswagen CEO Stefan Jacoby confirmed that the Phaeton will eventually return to the U.S.

When asked about Volkswagen's new strategy for sedans, Jacoby said that a new midsize sedan built in the company's new plant in Tennessee will replace the Passat. It will offer both gas and diesel engines and eventually a hybrid drivetrain.

"Above the midsize new sedan, we'll have another product, like the Avalon for Toyota," Jacoby continued.

"That's our strategy, to have a lineup ending with the Phaeton (luxury sedan). We will bring the Phaeton back to the market."

Jacoby said Volkswagen is also looking at adding a subcompact to the lineup as well as another U.S. built SUV.

http://blogs.edmunds...-to-the-us.html

Lets hope VW does'nt bring back that high price tag too.

Speaking of near-luxury Japanese cars, I drove a 2008 Lexus IS350 today. Loaded up with navigation, backup camera, bluetooth, and a luscious 306 HP engine. I wasn't sure what to expect, as Lexus isn't my cup of tea. But in my short test drive, I came away very impressed. For me, it has a nice combination of luxury and sport. Unlike the BMW 335, which is sport, then luxury, the IS350 is more the opposite. The interior materials felt terrific, and the acceleration was strong. Not too firm. The only thing I didn't care for was the back seat. It was very comfortable, but the gun slit rear windows combined with a black interior, makes for some claustrophobia. A tan interior would help.

This car has moved up to the top of my list, with the 335i second, and the C350 a distant third.

Edited by travelguy_73

Don't know about what, that the Focus in Europe is nicer than here? And yes if you are hit by a large SUV, you will certainly have a greater risk of injury, but there is nothing inherently unsafe about small cars, only the differential in size between them and the largest passenger trucks and SUVs.

True, but there are trade-offs. Those large SUVs have higher centers of gravity and are much more prone to rollovers.