Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

• 4 weeks later...

Here are more vehicles expected to be availabe soon.

2010 GMC Terrain-Looks really great but, it has the tailights of a toyota Sienna.

7526422.jpg

4495091.jpg

604685.jpg

2010 Kia Forte Koup- Another Honda Accord coupe anyone? :P There will be a four-door version as well.

751620.jpg

4668460.jpg

4555315.jpg

2010 Subaru Outback- Ok to say the least, not a fan of Subaru's. blah.

3822280.jpg

3368528.jpg

2034223.jpg

Acura ZDX- Concept car currently but should be available in 2011 or 2012

945406.jpg

800452.jpg

1320946.jpg

360219.jpg

2011 Grand Jeep Cherokee- Yuck! What were they thinking?! :angry:

6625222.jpg

3733472.jpg

5728447.jpg

Additional info here

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/

Thoughts?

What's up with the hatchback comeback (the Acura)? I'm not a big fan. I think they're trying to make cars look like a Prius so people look earth-friendly even if they're not.

I agree that the Grand Cherokee doesn't look good. I think Jeep should stick to Wranglers and ditch everything else. Could you make a more feminine vehicle than the Liberty? Maybe they did that on purpose, maybe not.

Where does the GMC Terrain fit into their lineup (Trailblazer-Tahoe-Suburban equivalent or separate altogether)?

I agree that the Grand Cherokee doesn't look good. I think Jeep should stick to Wranglers and ditch everything else. Could you make a more feminine vehicle than the Liberty? Maybe they did that on purpose, maybe not.

Where does the GMC Terrain fit into their lineup (Trailblazer-Tahoe-Suburban equivalent or separate altogether)?

Ditto. Jeep hasn't been "Jeep" in a long time.

I think the GMC Terrain is equivalent to the new 2010 Chevy Equinox, exteriors slighty different, interiors the same. The Terrain has more options; standards than the Equinox and they ride on the same chassis.

2010 Equinox

10Equinox.jpg

10Equinoxrear.jpg

equinoxinterior.jpg

Edited by UpuPUp!

Thanks for posting the photos.

The Acura is a pretty blatant attempt to copy the BMW X6, although why they would want to copy one of the most grotesque cars on the road is beyond me.

To me the Terrain looks like just another overdone SUV to cruise mall parking lots. What's with the jumbo fenders?

The Outlook is a bit of a disappointment imo.

Thanks for posting the photos.

The Acura is a pretty blatant attempt to copy the BMW X6, although why they would want to copy one of the most grotesque cars on the road is beyond me.

To me the Terrain looks like just another overdone SUV to cruise mall parking lots. What's with the jumbo fenders?

The Outlook is a bit of a disappointment imo.

I like it.

Something I found today, the 2011 Chrysler 300. A very popular car.

112_0903_02lfuture_chrysler_300rend.jpg

112_0904_01znext_generation_chrysle.jpg

I dropped our XC70 off at Star for a checkup yesterday and had a chance to drive the new XC60. It's a very nice crossover, and I hope it does well. Fast, luxurious interior (though the materials still aren't as nice as what VW and Audi use), and I love the City Safety option, though I don't know when I would use it. The City Safety camera is actually in the windshield, so here's hoping it doesn't have to be replaced!

This, the Passat CC, and the MB C350 are on my short list for next year.

2009_volvo_xc60_0_430.jpg

Interesting..

It's been reported in the last week that there are rumors that GMC and Pontiac will be terminated like Saab, Hummer and Saturn. Makes sense, doesn't it? Isn't GMC just clones of Chevy trucks?

Yes, this is what I understand to be true. The GMC line are all Chevy's but with different trim. I don't think GMC has any models without a Chevy counterpart. Typically the GMC version is slightly nicer, or so I thought, but I am not sure that applies to all of their trucks. There might be commercial lines they have that I don't know anything about.

Interesting..

It's been reported in the last week that there are rumors that GMC and Pontiac will be terminated like Saab, Hummer and Saturn. Makes sense, doesn't it? Isn't GMC just clones of Chevy trucks?

More or less, but they hope to keep GMC because it is a highly profitable "professional" brand, relegate Pontiac to niche status, and sell off Saab.

I dropped our XC70 off at Star for a checkup yesterday and had a chance to drive the new XC60. It's a very nice crossover, and I hope it does well. Fast, luxurious interior (though the materials still aren't as nice as what VW and Audi use), and I love the City Safety option, though I don't know when I would use it. The City Safety camera is actually in the windshield, so here's hoping it doesn't have to be replaced!

This, the Passat CC, and the MB C350 are on my short list for next year.

I was intrigued by the Passat CC until I read this review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-vo...agen-passat-cc/. Still, I think the CC at least looks great.

Edited by barracuda

Yes, this is what I understand to be true. The GMC line are all Chevy's but with different trim. I don't think GMC has any models without a Chevy counterpart. Typically the GMC version is slightly nicer, or so I thought, but I am not sure that applies to all of their trucks. There might be commercial lines they have that I don't know anything about.

I was always told that GMC were more heavy duty than a standard Chevy and that's why they tend to cost a little more. They were only in the truck biz until recently, then they introduced some SUVs.

I was always told that GMC were more heavy duty than a standard Chevy and that's why they tend to cost a little more. They were only in the truck biz until recently, then they introduced some SUVs.

I think that's right - with the trim comment I was thinking Tahoe-Yukon comparison, although I think the GMC stuff is both nicer and more heavy duty even in the pick-ups. It may be a whole different ball game with full size vans and commercial/bigger trucks. They had the GMC Safari since the 80's, which I think was slightly nicer than its counterpart Astro - which, by the way, is a crappy car to learn to drive with when it's raining. It is a great car (mini-van) for a group of teenage boys up to no good though.

I read that GMC got a reprieve. Even though they are rebadged Chevys they can sell for more and have better brand loyalty. Overall more profitable than the Chevy versions. Also, when people switched from GMC they were going to Ford, not Chevy.

What is the City Safety option?

With Volvo I would still always go with the wagon option. A friend just bought a nice V50.

Interesting..

Its not in their immediate plans, GM is only considering killing those two brands to prevent filing for bankruptcy.

More upcoming vehicles

Cadillac CTS coupe

Edited by UpuPUp!

Hyundai is definitely going for the Mercedes and BMW look (too bad for the conspicuously consuming Mercedes and BMW buyers!).

As much as I am not a fan of large vehicles, the Spark is just unattractive in a roller-skate kinda way (did the Ford Festiva start that look?).

And geez - I hope the Volvos with the City Braking feature come with rubbermaid rear bumpers :P

The Equus I believe has been sold for years in South Korea with a Mercedes knock-off look. They are thinking they can undersell existing luxury brands.

I would be willing to bet that the interior of the Spark has been drastically cheapened for Americans. Cars like this sell for more in other countries and consequently they can spring for nicer interiors. That may be the case with the Fiesta as well.

The Fiesta has one design trend I really dislike - sloping the windshield straight down to the front bumper so that small windows are necessary at the front of the doors.

Wild Rides: The Toyota Prius Isn't the Angel Everyone Thinks It Is

On a rainy night last fall, a couple months after Riner bought her Prius, she was driving toward the Galleria for a sales meeting. She hated driving in the rain because a car wreck in college catapulted her through the windshield and doctors almost had to amputate her leg.

Traffic near the mall was congested but moving, and Riner kept the Prius pegged at 60 mph, constantly looking at the console to manage her fuel consumption.

Suddenly, she felt the car hydroplaning out of control, and when she glanced at the speedometer she realized the car had shot up to 84 mph. Riner wasn't hydroplaning; quite simply, her Prius had accelerated on its own.

:blink:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-04-23/news/wild-rides/

Wild Rides: The Toyota Prius Isn't the Angel Everyone Thinks It Is

:blink:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-04-23/news/wild-rides/

Sorry, but I'm calling bogus on this. There was an "unintended acceleration" scandal about Audis back in the 1980s or so. There were breathless news reports just like this one, but eventually it just turned out to be uncoordinated drivers. History repeating itself..

Sorry, but I'm calling bogus on this. There was an "unintended acceleration" scandal about Audis back in the 1980s or so. There were breathless news reports just like this one, but eventually it just turned out to be uncoordinated drivers. History repeating itself..

I wouldn't rule it out completely. The Prius relies on a HUGE amount of computing power and software to control hardware that is an order of magnitude more complex than what's on the road in most cars. All of that complexity dictates that failures and unintended system behaviors are more likely to occur.

Oh this brings back memories. I vividly recall my parents bringing home a shiny new 86 Audi 5000S from the dealer in San Antonio just one day before the 60 Minutes episode ran. The car depreciated like a rock after that. Loved that car too!

Any other afficionados of really small, inexpensive cars? I'm all about a 5 door with great gas mileage, currently driving a Scion. I'm getting about 32 in the city and can't justify a $25K new car hybrid for a bump in mileage. But, My BF saw a new Kia Soul up close and was fairly impressed. I also noticed the new Suzuki AWD compact/crossover, but I'm guessing the mileage is crap.

I love that Kia ad with the gerbils.

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule it out completely. The Prius relies on a HUGE amount of computing power and software to control hardware that is an order of magnitude more complex than what's on the road in most cars. All of that complexity dictates that failures and unintended system behaviors are more likely to occur.

While it is true that the propulsion system and the battery recharge system are pretty advanced, the accelerator and brake linkage are fairly standard stuff. With the number of Priuses on the road, I would expect more than just a couple of stuck accelerators to be reported. Few vehicles have as high a customer satisfaction rating as the Prius, so while I wouldn't rule it out completely, at this point, it wouldn't stop me from buying one either. The 2010 model is supposed to have a battery pack that lasts the life of the car.

Any other afficionados of really small, inexpensive cars? I'm all about a 5 door with great gas mileage, currently driving a Scion. I'm getting about 32 in the city and can't justify a $25K new car hybrid for a bump in mileage. But, My BF saw a new Kia Soul up close and was fairly impressed. I also noticed the new Suzuki AWD compact/crossover, but I'm guessing the mileage is crap.

I love that Kia ad with the gerbils.

I have always loved small cars, ever since I first drove an MG Midget. My current tiny fave is the MINI, but I like the Smart. I'm starting to see more of the Smarts on the freeway. Guess it took a few months to get their nerve up.

I'm still waiting for the next generation with the big mileage.

• Like 1