Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

I've always loved station wagons/hatchbacks too. You can't beat the practicality. With small cars, it seems to me that the proportions of a hatchback look a lot better than sedans with stubby little trunks.

I agree, though I can't get Niles' (from Frasier) term out of my head :P

The rental agency didn't have a single luxury car left. They stuck me with some vehicle I think they call a hunchback.

I recently purchased one, though, and I am quite happy - it is a fugly car, but it grows on you. Good gas mileage, comfortable, and every seat (except driver's) folds flat for extra cargo room.

I think the "five door" is the V40.

That's at least a size bigger.

What would be the advantage of AWD on a car like the C30? For that matter, I'm not sure of the advantage of AWD in Houston. Snow and ice are few and far between. Is it for the road-handling as you sit in traffic on the Katy Freeway?

As far as the Buick, the Chinese apparently LOVE Buicks, it is THE luxury brand there. http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/04/2008-...hinese-get.html

Perhaps an S-Class/7-Series would be a more appropriate comparison.

Yeah, it's mostly older Chinese men in their 70's. They like the trunk space for their golfclubs. As soon as these geezers start keeling over like the market here has, the Buicks will cool off. B):lol:

The AWD on my Subaru saved my butt once last summer, on 45 during a torrential downpour. I was doing 55 or so, and hit a patch of highway that was pretty much submerged in a couple of inches of water. I felt the back end of the car get loose, I started to skid, and I felt the AWD kick in (transferred more power to the wheels with traction) and was able to maintain control.

That said, the car came with me from the snowy north (Montana, where you have a Subaru or a pickup) and it's probably not something I'd purchase again if I was planning on staying in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
That's at least a size bigger.

What would be the advantage of AWD on a car like the C30? For that matter, I'm not sure of the advantage of AWD in Houston. Snow and ice are few and far between. Is it for the road-handling as you sit in traffic on the Katy Freeway?

Better traction/control in messy conditions, and better handling in dry conditions.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Blazing new trails in ugliness, I give you the Hummer H3T pickup truck.

hummer_h3t_concept.jpg

Who would buy one of these things?

doesn't seem this has been released a 1/2 year later (or if it has, i'm not up to date) ... but i have to disagree with your 'Blazing new trails in ugliness' comment. although i do think it looks a little "lego"ish, i do kinda like it.

Cheers

I heard those X6s have problems with oil burn.

BMW became lost after the fugged-up the 5 Series.

BMW became lost even before that with the Bangle-ized fugly Z5. And around the same time with the hated i-Drive. BMW lost their way when they decided to stop focusing on agile and sporty and instead focus on over-styled land barges.

doesn't seem this has been released a 1/2 year later (or if it has, i'm not up to date) ... but i have to disagree with your 'Blazing new trails in ugliness' comment. although i do think it looks a little "lego"ish, i do kinda like it.

Cheers

If you like Hummers now is the time to buy one. GM announced yesterday they are putting Hummer on "strategic review", meaning probably selling the brand or shutting it down. I'm sure the dealers will be practically giving them away today.

Americans still make a better truck than Toy(ota). The Toy wants to be an F150 so bad you can see it in the design. Remember the commerical when "they asked how to make American trucks better"?

It's not like Toy has great MPG unless you drive 52.5 in the slow lane late at night.

Real truck buyers never bought Toyota to begin with, which is why you see a 4% decline vs. the American trucks.

Real truck buyers never bought Toyota to begin with, which is why you see a 4% decline vs. the American trucks.

Perhaps you should read the article closer. Toyota overall sales are down 4% versus May 2007 sales. Chevy trucks are down 42% versus May 2007. Ford trucks are down 31% versus May 2007.

"Real truck buyers" dropped 42%. Fake truck buyers only dropped 4%.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

hello everyone,

Yeah, I think it is very ugly too!! I like the American trucks better than the Toy(ota) ones----good play on words!!

Edited by ChrisP

Well, technically, Toyota Tundra IS an "American truck", as they are built in San Antonio. But, the Nissan Titan, destroys ALL in class. The Titan is also built in America NOT Japan.

Edited by TJones

Well, technically, Toyota Tundra IS an "American truck", as they are built in San Antonio. But, the Nissan Titan, destroys ALL in class. The Titan is also built in America NOT Japan.

That's true, but I've been seeing a number of Titans and Tundra trucks being used as "work trucks" by contractors.

That's true, but I've been seeing a number of Titans and Tundra trucks being used as "work trucks" by contractors.

If I wasn't hauling anything over 8000 pounds, Titan would be my truck in a heartbeat.

Red, if you ask if that is with or without ME in the truck, YOU will catch a serious beatdown the next time I see you !!!! <_<:lol:

Edited by TJones