Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

VW has designs to become a larger presence in the US (have some very lofty sales goals--the Toyota of Germany?). I sincerely hope that doesn't mean becoming bland and soulless like Toyota, though maybe if they can keep some interest and increase reliability, then it is a fair trade-off.

I think Toyota realized that soulless and bland sells. Volkswagen has never had terribly flash designs, and that may be one thing that people like about them.

Speaking of which, the new Scirocco. It looks like a Golf that was left in the microwave a few minutes.

volkswagen-scirocco.jpg

Volkswagen_Scirocco_Iroc-6.jpg

Wow. Thats is fugly. The rear looks like a Porsche Panammmara from that view. Also that is one huge grill. blah.

It seems John Q Facebook agrees with you.

Apparently trying to be "cool" and "with it" Honda introduced the Crosstour on a Facebook page, and the comments were on par with yours. Then Honda got caught removing a number of negative comments, including one defending the Crosstour by a Honda product planner. So they added some corporate PR-speak and changed the photos posted to a red car. Here is what they have to say:

Hi, Facebook fans. We're listening, and we want to address a few things you've been talking about over the past few days.

The photos: Arguably, the two studio photos we posted didn't give you enough detail, nor were they the best to showcase the vehicle. There are more photos on the way. Maybe it's like a bad yearbook photo or something, and we think the new photos will clear things up.

It's not the European wagon: We've seen a lot of comments about the desire for a wagon, but this is neither a wagon nor designed for wagon buyers. We think the Euro wagon is a cool vehicle, too, and we appreciate the feedback... but a version of that wasn't our intention here. That's another segment worthy of our consideration, but the Accord Crosstour, built on the larger, Accord platform, is meant to give you the best of two worlds – the versatility of an SUV with the sportiness of a car.

Many of you don't like the styling: It may not be for everyone. Our research suggests that the styling does test well among people shopping for a crossover.

You want further details about the Accord Crosstour: We typically can't give you details so far out from when the vehicle goes on sale for a number of reasons, including competitive intelligence and pure availability. However... we hear your frustrations, and while specs on the vehicle aren't finalized, we're trying to get some stuff together that we hope will satiate some of your curiosity and give you more to think about.

Honda associates participating in the wall comments: We didn't remove comments out of embarrassment. We removed comments that were posted contrary to American Honda's consumer-generated media policy for associates: We must first clearly state that we are Honda employees and that a posting is a personal - not Honda's - opinion. Eddie forgot to add that, so his comments were removed.

So you see, it isn't that the car is ugly. Perish the thought! The problem was that the photographs didn't do justice to its true magnificence. :lol:

Here is what they consider a more flattering shot (they're wrong on that):

crosstourred.jpg

This is the Accord 'Tourer' that the rest of the world gets instead.

ami-leipzig-2008-gallery-45.jpg

I think Toyota realized that soulless and bland sells. Volkswagen has never had terribly flash designs, and that may be one thing that people like about them.

Speaking of which, the new Scirocco. It looks like a Golf that was left in the microwave a few minutes.

volkswagen-scirocco.jpg

volvo C30 much?

volvo-c30-front-quarter-cosmic-white.jpg

flipper

volkswagen-scirocco.jpg

Volkswagen_Scirocco_Iroc-6.jpg

Thats not the interior for the Scirocco, I like it though.smile.gif

It seems John Q Facebook agrees with you.

Apparently trying to be "cool" and "with it" Honda introduced the Crosstour on a Facebook page, and the comments were on par with yours. Then Honda got caught removing a number of negative comments, including one defending the Crosstour by a Honda product planner. So they added some corporate PR-speak and changed the photos posted to a red car. Here is what they have to say:

So you see, it isn't that the car is ugly. Perish the thought! The problem was that the photographs didn't do justice to its true magnificence. laugh.gif

crosstourred.jpg

Hey, almost everyone agrees with me. Have you seen those post by people on facebook? Lol. The Tourer looks waay better than the Crosstour.

Edited by Urbannizer

So you see, it isn't that the car is ugly. Perish the thought! The problem was that the photographs didn't do justice to its true magnificence. :lol:

crosstourred.jpg

The first picture looks like an old Ford Tempo. Why is Honda going backwards in terms of style? The bottom pic is better, but I can't say for sure until I can see the front.

I wouldn't say it was the best looking car of all time, but it's a darn sight better looking than the current version. It is nowhere near as awkward, and they seemed to have done some de-Banglization and toned down the "flame surfacing".

I really like BMW's new designs. This new 5-series does looks better than ever, but it looks a little to much like the 7-series.

Bmw7exterior-1.jpg

ExteriorRear-1.jpg

New 2011 C30

2011_C30-1.jpg

I can see that. It seems that the more cars evolve, the more they look the same.

I see a design trend developing for this upcoming decade of cars. Blunt front ends with slanted headlights, no traditional protruding front bumper, large grille, 17 or 18 in stock rims, raked bodylines, more slab sided designs sweeping rear windshield, minimal trunklid, and of course LEDs galore.