Would you trust this?

lockmat

This is a part-time job I found on craigslist.

It seems a little sketchy for reasons I'll point out, but at the same time it seems like it could be legit. It's clean cut, punctuated correctly and is orderly. But I'm still a little skeptical.

I responded to the ad and this is what they emailed me(bold letters besides headlines and emphasis are mine):

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the online processing position. Here's a brief overview:

Job Description:

You will be processing responses to online advertisements. When people respond to an ad, you will process their reply by recording their information and following up with response emails. Everything is written out step by step in the training materials with easy guidelines to follow.

Requirements:

Computer and e-mail address

Competent typing ability

Basic internet knowledge

Self Motivation

Details:

You can choose to work full or part time and the hours are set by you. You will be processing responses from advertisements, which is explained to you in the training materials. You are your own boss, you set your own hours and determine how much you want to make. This is all explained in the training materials, which will be sent to you via your email account if you are still interested. There is no contract to sign and no minimum requirement; the amount you choose to process is entirely up to you. As with any job, you must be able to handle the responses in a timely manner.

Compensation:

You will collect $10.00-$20.00 for each response you process. Therefore, the amount of money you make is determined by how many responses you process. If you process 30 responses a week, you'll make $300.00-$600.00 a week! This is not hard to do, and most people average around $500-600 per week.

Training:

The training materials you receive will give you step-by-step instructions on how to get started. When you receive your training materials, you may begin working the same day. There are no special software requirements for this position.

Payment for work completed:

You will receive your payments through PayPal for each application you process. There is a ONE TIME non-refundable processing fee of $10.00 USD. This cost covers the training materials and resources sent to you, pay pal fees, and helps keep our costs down by not sending training materials out to applicants that are not serious about a position. If you do not agree with the fee or are skeptical because of this fee, please disregard this email. Once you process your first response, you will have made back this fee. The training materials and information will be sent to your email after your payment is received; you can then start immediately. If you do not have a PayPal account, please open a free account at PayPal.com so you can get paid for your work and purchase your training materials. If this sounds like an opportunity you would like to pursue please complete the following:

1-Send me an email confirming you are interested in the position.

2-Submit your materials/processing fee using PayPal. This is a completely free service and it is a verified secure website. When making your payment, please enter goods/services in the Product/Service area. Please send your payment through PayPal to PayPal account address hluck13@hotmail.com

3-You will receive your materials back from me within twenty-four hours. If you do not, please email me with your PayPal address so I can confirm receipt of payment and get your materials to you ASAP.

The name attached to the email address is "hard luck."

What do y'all think? Real or scam? Was he smart enough not to make it sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity and he's slowly reaping in ten dollars a sucker?

Is there some website I could check with to find out if he's legit?

Thanks

My gut reaction is that this "job" is worthless. Is there a website associated with it? You can always look that up on ARIN Whois (unless it has private registration).

I would guess that you have to place the ads or depend on your promotion of them to get users to respond to them - also, $10 to defray costs of sending you electronic materials? Just doesn't sound right. But this type of thing never does.

My gut reaction is that this "job" is worthless. Is there a website associated with it? You can always look that up on ARIN Whois (unless it has private registration).

I would guess that you have to place the ads or depend on your promotion of them to get users to respond to them - also, $10 to defray costs of sending you electronic materials? Just doesn't sound right. But this type of thing never does.

That's my gut reaction too. I want to believe it because it's semi-easy money, and it looks believable b/c it's not like the normal muck scammers put out. But with a name like Hard Luck emailing me the info and that statement I put in bold just doesn't seem like something a legitamite company would do or represent themselves as.

What is ARIN Whois? I guess I'll just google it. Thanks for the info.

Here is the craigslist ad. I guess any time a company throws in exclamation points after the compensation, one should worry.

Job Opening for online processing. Work at home; earn

an extra $300-$500/week! We have several openings

available in the area earning $300-$500 per week. We

are seeking only honest, self-motivated people with a

desire to work in the home typing field. You can work

from home, full time or part time. The preferred

applicants should be at least 18 years old with

Internet access. NO experience is needed. Training is

provided. However, the following skills are desirable:

-Basic computer and typing skills

-Ability to spell and print neatly

-Ability to following instructions