When Will Oil Hit $100 Per Barrel (Poll)

houstonmacbro

When Will Oil Hit $100 Per Barrel  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Oil's above $90 barrel right now. When do you think it will hit $100

• Before the end of October 2007
    • November 2007
    • December 2007
    • Sometime in early 2008
    • Oil's going to retreat back into the $70s or even lower
    • Not sure

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oilman T. Boone Pickens was on CNBC earlier this year and he predicted oil would hit $100 per barrel before the end of 2007. I think we'll hit it before December and that is gonna mean higher gas and energy costs for most of us.

Get ready!

I'll say November... just a guess.

I think we've all seen that crude prices arent the only factor in gasoline prices. Gas was $3/gallon a couple of years ago, and oil has steadily climbed that whole time, yet our gas prices are still under $3/gallon.

Refinery capacity is a big factor... $100 oil will not change that, instead it will lower the profits of the oil companies.

Refinery capacity is a big factor... $100 oil will not change that, instead it will lower the profits of the oil companies.

It might hurt retailers and refiners a little if higher prices for refined products force people to reduce their consumption, but gasoline consumption is fairly 'sticky' and many other refined products only contribute a little to the total cost of producing consumer goods, so the prices of those items probably wouldn't rise enough for many people to notice. The consumer response occurs over the course of many years rather than overnight.

BUT IT WILL HELP EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION (E&P), OILFIELD SERVICE FIRMS, AND MANUFACTURING!!! High oil prices are the impetus for further E&P because they mean more revenue. Without high prices, our oil companies would wither.

It might hurt retailers and refiners a little if higher prices for refined products force people to reduce their consumption, but gasoline consumption is fairly 'sticky' and many other refined products only contribute a little to the total cost of producing consumer goods, so the prices of those items probably wouldn't rise enough for many people to notice. The consumer response occurs over the course of many years rather than overnight.

BUT IT WILL HELP EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION (E&P), OILFIELD SERVICE FIRMS, AND MANUFACTURING!!! High oil prices are the impetus for further E&P because they mean more revenue. Without high prices, our oil companies would wither.

Does that also mean that higher health care costs will bring improved health care?

If plumbers are paid more for their services will the plumbing industry improve? I'm all for this one Niche! You can be my next customer.

Does that also mean that higher health care costs will bring improved health care?

Depends where the costs are coming from. If the higher healthcare costs are caused by a shortfall of doctors, then it means that the price of doctors will go up and we will get more doctors. If the healthcare costs are caused by overly-litigious patients and government regulation, then the demand for lawyers will increase, there will likely be a shortfall of lawyers, lawyers' compensation will increase, and we will get more lawyers. If you think that more lawyers will improve the healthcare industry, then yes, higher healthcare costs will bring improved healthcare.

This is, of course, assuming that government doesn't screw everything up...that is to say, improbable.

If plumbers are paid more for their services will the plumbing industry improve? I'm all for this one Niche! You can be my next customer.

If plumbers' compensation goes up as a result of increased demand, then more people will become plumbers. I can't say whether that will 'improve' the industry; that is probably more subjective. Quality of plumbing services rendered really isn't very comparable to the quality of crude that is extracted from the ground, so that'd be an irrelevant point anyhow.

Egads. $100 a barrel!

I hope it isn't a cold winter. My heating bills last year (natural gas boiler) were CRAZY and I only kept the house at 65 degrees!

Incidentally, I just read a report from the Fed that stated that heating oil inventories are at five-year highs.

Egads. $100 a barrel!

I hope it isn't a cold winter. My heating bills last year (natural gas boiler) were CRAZY and I only kept the house at 65 degrees!

My company deals with weather and we are forecasting a warmer than average winter for Houston. That's not to say it won't get cold... that just means that overall winter will be warmer than average. I would like to add, though, that I am not a fan of long-range forecasting... it's hard enough to forecast a week or two out let alone 3 or 4 months. :wacko:

Just by a couple of pennies. I have seen anywhere from $2.52 to $2.59 for regular. It was $2.46 2 weeks ago.

Where you live, perhaps. I have seen it at $2.59 to $2.62 for weeks around me. Just filled up at $2.61, but the price appears to be going up slightly. Since the summer driving season is over, it is hard to raise prices, so the oil companies have to settle for reduced profits right now. But, if you look at prices over the last 3 years, every year is up substanially over the previous year. For instance, in the winter of 2004, the price dropped back to about $1.75, in 2005, it dropped back to around $2.00, last year to about $2.25, and here we are today thinking $2.50 to $2.60 aint too bad. There is nothing to suggest that next spring will not see another record high well above $3.00.

Where you live, perhaps. I have seen it at $2.59 to $2.62 for weeks around me. Just filled up at $2.61, but the price appears to be going up slightly. Since the summer driving season is over, it is hard to raise prices, so the oil companies have to settle for reduced profits right now. But, if you look at prices over the last 3 years, every year is up substanially over the previous year. For instance, in the winter of 2004, the price dropped back to about $1.75, in 2005, it dropped back to around $2.00, last year to about $2.25, and here we are today thinking $2.50 to $2.60 aint too bad. There is nothing to suggest that next spring will not see another record high well above $3.00.

I had to fill up the tank this week. Luckily, I only fill up about once every two months since I hardly drive anymore. That said, 89 at the Chevron station in Braintree, MA was at $3.01.

Looks like it is heading that way in early November, unless it pulls back drastically.

Oil Surpasses $93 A Barrel

SINGAPORE -- Oil prices surpassed $93 a barrel Monday in Asian trading to hit a new trading high amid concerns about political tensions in the Middle East and the weakening U.S. dollar.

Full article

Looks like it is heading that way in early November, unless it pulls back drastically.

Oil Surpasses $93 A Barrel

SINGAPORE -- Oil prices surpassed $93 a barrel Monday in Asian trading to hit a new trading high amid concerns about political tensions in the Middle East and the weakening U.S. dollar.

Full article

I have a Ford F250 diesel, and I'm paying $3.05 at a minimum. Most stations are charging at least $3.15. It's absolutely rediculous!!!!

I'm gonna have to go look at some hybrids next weekend.

I just filled up and it was $2.65. This morning, the same station was $2.60 and it was the cheapest one around.

I have a friend at work who is contemplating an SUV purpose. I told her flat out she must be crazy and that she should really consider getting something smaller like a Civic or a something. She just laughed, but when I quizzed her on her driving habits she indicated that she is already filling up once a week and she is in a mid-sized Mazda.

Doing some quick math it would be apparent that a 15-20 gallon tank in an SUV would be setting her back anywhere from $45 - $60 a week with the coming $3/gallon prices.

That's an extra $180 - $240 month on top an SUV note and insurance!

Gawd bless America.

It's the death knell for the US auto industry who thought they could ride the SUV gravy train forever.

Yeah, even GM who is promoting its 'new' line of SUVs and how fuel efficient they are still have numbers in the teens. Are these people crazy!

The price of gasoline is never coming back down!

My car (on average) gets about 30 mpg and I am trying to alter my driving habits and group trips to improve the amount I spend on transportation. I am still filling up and it bites when you are pumping $30 for 12 gallons of gasoline.

I literally see the day when people essentially abandon their vehicles on the sides of the roads.

My car (on average) gets about 30 mpg and I am trying to alter my driving habits and group trips to improve the amount I spend on transportation. I am still filling up and it bites when you are pumping $30 for 12 gallons of gasoline.

is that with the new EPA standards? my mazda3 (2007) was listed something like 25/28. now its 22/25 for 2008. same exact car, but based on the EPA's listing for that model...

It's the death knell for the US auto industry who thought they could ride the SUV gravy train forever.

I think the price of oil will drop back down again - there's no reason to think it would continue increasing indefinitely - and when it does SUV sales will rebound. That said, I certainly don't expect that a fall in price will wipe out the gains of the past couple of years.

Yeah, given that nearly 25% of world oil production comes from Russia, Venezuela and Iran, and given the US government's cozy relationship with all 3 countries, I expect the oil spigots to be wide open any day now. We'll be swimming in the stuff. Two Suburbans in every garage. <_<

Archived