Cranespotting

There is such a building boom in the Houston metro right now, let's attempt to count the number of cranes currently up. Reply with a list of projects and number of cranes for each. Then increment the total from the previous post. I'll start us out.

Cosmopolitan - 1 crane

Houston Pavilions - 3?

One Park Place - 2 cranes

Sugar Creek Baptist Church (Sugar Land) - 1 crane

Sugar Land Town Square - 1 crane

Energy Corridor - 1 crane

TOTAL: 9

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how many are at each site, but don't forget about West Avenue, 2727 Kirby, Mosaic Tower 2, Memorial Hermann HQ, Smithlands parking garage, Baylor teaching hospital. I drove past the BP campus in the energy corridor last night, and they've got lots of cranes but I don't remember if they were all tower cranes. I also don't remember whether the second Trammell Crow office building at I-10 and Dairy Ashford had a crane up yet or whether the crane that used to be over the Shell campus has been taken down.

I saw a crane today from the Rice campus that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if it is part of the dorm construction, or the medical center across the street at Rice Blvd and Cherokee.

I think there are too many cranes to count! :)

There are a lot, that's why I thought it'd be cool to count them. Here's a preliminary listing of projects and assumed number of cranes. Feel free to edit and reply.

Cosmopolitan - 1 crane

Houston Pavilions - 3?

Energy Corridor - 1 crane

Rice's Collaborative Research Center - 2 cranes

Methodist Outpatient Center - 2 cranes

HCC - 1 crane

West Avenue - 1 crane

2727 Kirby - 1 crane

Mosaic Tower 2 - 1 crane

Memorial Hermann HQ - 1 crane

Smithlands parking garage - 1 crane

Baylor teaching hospital - 1 crane

CURRENT TOTAL: 20

There are 1 or 2 more in the medical center on Holcombe south of Main (between Main and Greenbriar), I forget what the project is. Does anybody remember? Also I saw a crane in the Medical Center near the Texas Heart Institute, and another at TCH (Feigin Center), and at the MD Anderson Garage that's being built on the edge of the Bayou, and at another Garage on the other side of the bayou near Fannin and Greenbriar. And I'm probably missing some...

I went downtown to take pictures of the cranes and a cop threatened to arrest me, under the city's "Ban on Photography of Freestanding Buildings," which curiously does not exist anywhere in the City of Houston codes.

Oh well, you all miss out on the photos.

As for me, I guess I'm through with this ____ing country asap.

I went downtown to take pictures of the cranes and a cop threatened to arrest me, under the city's "Ban on Photography of Freestanding Buildings," which curiously does not exist anywhere in the City of Houston codes.

If a cop ever tells you that again, just keep on taking pictures. They cannot arrest you for taking photos of anything so long as you're standing on public property.

Weird, I've been shooting photos downtown for years. Not even when I'm getting a photo of their HQ in front of a few bike cops do they seem to bat an eye.

It's the rentacops for each building that usually seem to get uppity or whatever, and most times even that is them just giving a speil they don't even seem to get. Just shoot away dude.

Yeah I've had the rentacops bug me. One guy told me I couldn't take a picture of Wells Fargo Plaza unless I was at least 3 feet from the building, so I stepped back and then he went back inside. I've never had a problem like you mentioned though, that totally sucks.

So, "no photos freestanding buildings"? Does that mean buildings with wires supporting them are okay to photograph? Does that mean no houses or university buildings? What a ridiculous thing for somebody to say.

Actually now that I think of it, a cop by the old courthouse building told me I was only allowed to take pictures of it from a distance once. I thought that was strange. I had a telephoto at the time so it didn't really make a difference in my photo, I just zoomed in from a distance.

This has happened many times before, but this is the first time a copy has made up a law that did not exist after I asked him specifically if this was the case.

I made a thread here

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=13568

We should organize a protest, in conjunction with the Houston Flickr groups.

It's probably because I have a beard.

Here are the current totals:

Cosmopolitan - 1 crane

Houston Pavilions - 4 cranes

BP Campus (Energy Corridor) - 2 cranes

Rice's Collaborative Research Center - 2 cranes

Methodist Outpatient Center - 2 cranes

HCC - 1 crane

West Avenue - 2 cranes

2727 Kirby - 1 crane

Mosaic Tower 2 - 1 crane

Memorial Hermann HQ - 2 cranes

Smithlands parking garage - 1 crane

Baylor teaching hospital - 1 crane

Granite Tower (Sugar Land) - 1 crane

Methodist Hospital Expansion (Sugar Land) - 1 crane

Medical Center near the Texas Heart Institute - 1 crane

TCH (Feigin Center) - 1 crane

MD Anderson Garage (edge of bayou) - 1 crane

Garage near Fannin and Greenbriar - 1 crane

Medical tower on the site of the old Towers Motor Hotel - 4 cranes

Park 8 - 1 crane

West dallas garage/tunnel site next to Allen Center - 1 crane

In (or near) HBU - 1 crane

CURRENT TOTAL: 37

and another in Southampton (Sunset Blvd and Cherokee) for the medical clinic.

I was wrong, that crane was actually part for the construction of another dorm at Rice, so there are two tower cranes at Rice now besides the 2 at the CRC.

• 1 year later...

This might be the wrong place to post this, but it does relate to projects "going up".

With the recent projects going up around Discovery Green in Downtown-

One Park Place

Discovery/Hess Tower

Embassy Suites

I started to wonder how would one prefer to see them going up-

cluster of cranes- all of them going up at the same time

sort of like the Texas Medical Center

or

one at a time- currently it seems as one project finishes up another one begins

example OPP, then D/H Tower

Right now, obviously Disco Tower isn't done, but its a lot closer to finishing then Embassy Suites.

Would three projects going up make this side of Downtown Houston ( i know im excluding MainPlace)

look like TMC, which i think would be cool, or does the timing of these projects seem ok.

Because if all three started together that means the period of time that there's construction work in Downtown would be cut short vs. if they're all starting at different times, Houstonians would see cranes for a longer time.

These projects signify change to downtown that we need, so maybe always having construction work is better than a lot of projects finishing up, because then we don't see cranes for another couple of years.

What is your opinion-

cluster of cranes or not?

If an opinion of which scenario is what you're looking for, then for sure I would say a cluster of cranes just because it makes it seem more like a boom of new construction and the city growing and all that. Like, "Welcome to Houston... Recession? What Recession?"

Although the difference in the Med Center and Downtown may be nothing more than coincidence, Downtown is having projects starting at different times, where as the Med Center had a boom of new buildings all at once. I don't think it was by choice, but that assumption would need further verified to be either confirmed or debunked. I simply don't know if it was planned like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, i like seeing the cranes. i know many want to see the finished product (referring to an Austin post......many want to see Austin as a finished product). But as was said above, to me, cranes mean progress. Like a spit in the recession's eye. Both cases make a great aesthetic statement. A cluster of cranes like in MT is cool because it connotes, "my God......they must be doing great over there!" and also gives those of us who love this sort of thing a sense of , "i can't wait to see what it will look like when it all comes together." On the other hand, i think i prefer to build skyscraper #1 then when the crane comes down (while cladding the sucker) another goes up for skyscraper #2 and so forth....therefore a constant image of growth and building.

m. B)

• 4 years later...

Anyone know approximately how many highrise cranes are now erected in Houston? Also, what determines how many cranes will work on any given site? For example I see some high-rises that have two cranes per tower, while others the same height only have one.

Archived