Engineering Disasters. From The Houston Area

Hunter

Here are some pictures that I took on May 14, 2004 when the Houston area was getting so much rain. Thanks to the rain all kinds of interesting things were popping up.

This happened on Park Place Blvd at the Phillips 66 station near Hwy 45.

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

Amazing what the power of water can do. The backfill around the storage tank was probably not properly installed to allow groundwater to move freely around it.

Surprise nothing worse happened

Hey Thanks. Now I can move forward with that nightmare I've been looking forward to about giant worms popping up from the ground to eat me. Just last week, I had a dream that consisted of my new office building where all our cubicles featured blue-shag carpeting for desktop surfaces.

Amazing what the power of water can do.  The backfill around the storage tank was probably not properly installed to allow groundwater to move freely around it.

Surprise nothing worse happened

I remember when this happened....it was on the news....and as I recall the station had been having drainage problems for a while before that happened.

I saw another local man-made disaster on The History Channel a few weeks ago. It happened back in the 80s, when a guy wire broke on one of those huge radio towers in Missouri City. The entire, 1000 ft.+ structure crumpled and killed a couple of people, I believe. I'm sorry I can't remember more, but I wasn't really paying attention until I heard the local angle. Does anyone remember this? It was surprising to see a local story I had never heard of on "Engineering Disasters".

Edit: I found a report on the disaster here:

http://ethics.tamu.edu/ethics/tvtower/tv3.htm

It's lengthy, but includes a jerky video of the collapse, if you scroll down.

I remember the incident quite well.

It was a new tower for the (then) new Ch. 20. It took that channel off the air for awhile, but I can't remember the duration of the outage. The length was significant as I can recall.

There has been a few engineering faux pas here in Houston. Most don't occur during construction or just after completion, but rather after restoration or demolition it's just a matter of tracking it them down. (The Market square facade collapse comes to mind)

Ricco

I saw another local man-made disaster on The History Channel a few weeks ago. It happened back in the 80s, when a guy wire broke on one of those huge radio towers in Missouri City. The entire, 1000 ft.+ structure crumpled and killed a couple of people, I believe. I'm sorry I can't remember more, but I wasn't really paying attention until I heard the local angle. Does anyone remember this? It was surprising to see a local story I had never heard of on "Engineering Disasters".

Edit:  I found a report on the disaster here:

http://ethics.tamu.edu/ethics/tvtower/tv3.htm

It's lengthy, but includes a jerky video of the collapse, if you scroll down.

Man I remember that. A good friend lived in view of it and called me to tell me it was gone one day. It was supposedly amazing more people werent killed.

I forget what but there was something significant about that tower too.. like tallest structure in texas or something like that... hmmm

I forget what but there was something significant about that tower too.. like tallest structure in texas or something like that... hmmm

I remember that as well. And I think you were right. they were tryignt o make it the tallest structure around so they could reach a wide grouping of people (Precable days). It was poorly designed and not enough support cables or something like that.

I remember that as well. And I think you were right. they were tryignt o make it the tallest structure around so they could reach a wide grouping of people (Precable days). It was poorly designed and not enough support cables or something like that.

If I remember right they were using the wrong kind of u-joint or something while lifting the last portion up to the top. The joint failed and it fell severing a support stay which made the whole thing collapse. I know the people riding the thing up were killed. I forget if anyone on the ground was.

Archived