Sign in to follow this  
Timnwendy

Southern Trails

17. One HOA rep told us that a hidden camera in one of the homes under construction had caught one of the contractors stealing copper from the house. The contractor was arrested. Since this has happened, the thefts at the construction sites in ST has decreased.

Awesome, I'm glad they finally caught one of the thieves!

Ike caused considerable damage to the infrastructure at Southern Trails. Trees were overturned, fences were downed, and the flag poles at the entrance were knocked down. Ashton Woods has done a commendable job of recovery. Those trees which were saveable were uprighted by work crews in time to save them, and fences along the public steets are being repaired (and paid for by AW). I still don't know when (and even if) the flag poles will be repaired. I will pass on what I find out.

As for home damage, it seems about 25% of the structures in ST had some type of roof damage. That includes everything from a few shingles gone (most common) to serious holes (only about 1 in 10). All things considered, we were very fortunate in ST. We ended up being on the 'weak' side of Ike's winds. Also, we only lost electricity there for about 21 hours.

EDIT: According to my contact at AW, the two flag poles will be repaired. Work on that is supposed to begin in a week or so.

Edited by Timnwendy

EDIT: According to my contact at AW, the two flag poles will be repaired. Work on that is supposed to begin in a week or so.

Looks like the flag poles are now fixed! Faster than I was told.

Ashton Woods is currently evaluating several different colors of wood stain, before making the final choice to use for all the border fence lines in the subdivision. So this staining project is still moving forward, albiet slowly.

Yesterday I spoke with the AW sales rep at the models inside the ST

Garden Estates section (those models are gorgeous, by the way). He

told me that AW had made the first two sales of lots inside Garden

Estates.

I walked around and found the SOLD signs; they are on the north side

of the section. They are side by side, and feature back yards that

view the beautiful fountain in the lake. With that view, it seems

logical those lots would sell first.

We'll see how soon AW breaks ground on these homes. At least it's a

sign of progress in that empty section.

Yesterday I spoke with the AW sales rep at the models inside the ST

Garden Estates section (those models are gorgeous, by the way).

I went to see those two models. I was very impressed with both. No doubt they will keep sales up for that new section.

They look like a great alternative for smaller families or people looking to downsize. Attention to detail is what made me buy my current home and I saw a lot of the same by AW.

Sundown Glen is the new section of 60' lots Ashton Woods has opened. This section is on the east edge of Kingsley Dr (Co. Rd 48), and has an entrance directly onto Kingsley. I was driving by and noticed some SOLD signs on a few of the lots there. So we may see the very first start ups there soon.

Edit: there is only one SOLD sign in Sundown Glen (so far). This was confirmed by an AW Sales Rep.

Edited by Timnwendy

There are still 3 empty lots available for building in the Sage Meadows section of ST. Sage Meadow is the original 60' section. I wanted to mention this in case anyone looking in ST would prefer building in the more established section. Sundown Glen is the new 60' lot section, and has only sold one lot, so there are many more lot choices there.

It's so easy to focus on all the new builds at ST that we can forget about other options like this listing which I found on the www.har.com website. It is a foreclosure; a David Weekley home that is in my section of ST. It's less than 3 years old and is listed at $244K, which seems pretty good considering what the new homes around it are being listed at.

The photos don't show it, but the upstairs balcony will overlook part of the new lake they are building for the Garden Estates section, and will have a view of the new fountain they put in that lake (the fountain is a new design with more nozzles, and is now the prettiest fountain we have at ST so far).

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone is looking for a nice foreclosure to pick up. I have met many of the folks living on that street, and they are good people, so you'd have nice neighbors.

Edited by Timnwendy

I heard today from a inside source at ST that Imperial Homes is going to be replaced as a builder at ST. This information is in line with other sources I've found that say Imperial is in (financial) trouble in Houston, so I tend to believe it. No word yet on who the new builder will be, or when the change will happen (in fact, it might just be that AW picks up all of Imperial's lots - that's what they did when D. Weekley pulled out of ST).

Bottom line is: I'd advise folks to check out Imperial very carefully before signing a contract for them, whether it is for a start-up or the purchase of an inventory home.

I noticed that the selection of Ashton Woods homes being built on the 60' lots at Sundown Glen had their start-up base prices reduced by $10-20K recently. This was confirmed to me today by an AW sales rep. This price reduction only occurred on the 60' homes, not the bigger ones.

We have interest in a Community Watch program, and are attempting to organize one for ST.

Just wanted to share that, since I'm sometimes pm'd by folks with an interest in ST, who have questions about this kind of stuff.

Edited 02/25/2008: Still making good progress on the Neighborhood Watch program. HOA is now on board.

Edited by Timnwendy

I talked with our HOA prez today, and the plans are moving forward to apply a uniform stain color to the common fencelines along the main streets and the borders of Southern Trails. Over the next couple of months, the fences will be powerwashed and then the stain will be sprayed on. The color is a combination mocha/rust that looks ok (there is a sample applied on a fence back in the new Sundown Glen section).

Our Neighborhood Watch program is off the ground. Our HOA supports it, and we are officially sponsored by the Pearland Police Dept. We have set up monthly meetings at the rec center.

Just wanted to share this to those of you who might be looking for a home on the south side of Houston, within easy commute of downtown or the med center, where the residents are taking an active role in their neighborhood security.

The city responded to our request for speed limit signs on Southern Trails drive. There are now 30mph speed limit signs posted at the entrance to Southern Trails Drive at 518, and at the entrance to it from County Rd. 48.

The city responded to our request for speed limit signs on Southern Trails drive. There are now 30mph speed limit signs posted at the entrance to Southern Trails Drive at 518, and at the entrance to it from County Rd. 48.

Thanks for spearheading this effort. If there were others involved, thanks to them as well. Nice to see that our voices can actually get things done around here.

The developer has begun staining the fences along the streets. The stain color is a mocha/rust and looks fairly good (IMHO). You can see the early results on the fences along Southern Trails Drive, over by County Rd. 48.

I've got a quick question. We're far off from doing anything, but starting to think about a 2 story around 200k range.

I had a friend that had a David Weekley home in Sienna that he sold for 190 about a year and a half ago and it was a great 2 story house. Granite counters, upgraded kitchen, covered patio and plenty of other extras.

Looking in ST Enclave, we found Trophy homes that were in that range easy, but the Newmarks were way over our budget. Are the Weekley homes in ST proper closer to the Newmark homes, or are they a little more reasonable?

I've got a quick question. We're far off from doing anything, but starting to think about a 2 story around 200k range.

I had a friend that had a David Weekley home in Sienna that he sold for 190 about a year and a half ago and it was a great 2 story house. Granite counters, upgraded kitchen, covered patio and plenty of other extras.

Looking in ST Enclave, we found Trophy homes that were in that range easy, but the Newmarks were way over our budget. Are the Weekley homes in ST proper closer to the Newmark homes, or are they a little more reasonable?

Weekley isn't building any more new homes in ST, but there are some coming back on the market now that are only 1 or 2 years old, like this one, which I believe are more reasonably priced.

Also: be very careful of signing a contract with Newmark or Trophy now, they announced last month that they were stopping operations in Texas sometime this year, and are actively looking for another builder to buy them out. To my mind, that's just too volatile a situation to risk doing a start up with them, or even buying an existing home, since they may not be around to do any warranty work later. To each their own on that.

Weekley isn't building any more new homes in ST, but there are some coming back on the market now that are only 1 or 2 years old, like this one, which I believe are more reasonably priced.

Also: be very careful of signing a contract with Newmark or Trophy now, they announced last month that they were stopping operations in Texas sometime this year, and are actively looking for another builder to buy them out. To my mind, that's just too volatile a situation to risk doing a start up with them, or even buying an existing home, since they may not be around to do any warranty work later. To each their own on that.

I saw that about Newmark in the Enclave thread after I made my post.

We're probably two years away from doing anything regardless, so I'm guessing we'll probably buy an existing home the next go around. Just looking around and comparing and dreaming you know? :)

Our Neighborhood Watch program has now deployed its first signs (see attached photo).

For the record, we have very low crime in ST/Enclave. We just want to keep it that way. Plus, it is much easier to get a NW program off the ground while an HOA is small, rather than later when it is large. That's why we organized now.

post-4743-1242075830_thumb.jpg

The developer has begun staining the fences along the streets. The stain color is a mocha/rust and looks fairly good (IMHO). You can see the early results on the fences along Southern Trails Drive, over by County Rd. 48.

The fence-staining project is completed. I think it looks pretty good. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

We are working with our HOA to get distinctive car decals for ST residents, similar to what our Big Neighbor SCR has done. We hope the decals can be deployed to our residents before this summer ends.

Edited by Timnwendy

We are working with our HOA to get distinctive car decals for ST residents, similar to what our Big Neighbor SCR has done. We hope the decals can be deployed to our residents before this summer ends.

Yesterday we were began receiving letters containing the vehicle identification decals.

This is another successful project spearheaded by our Neighborhood Watch program.

With the help of our HOA, I put together some stats on occupied rooftops in Southern Trails and the Enclave at Southern Trails. They are shared here for those who have wondered about the growth of these two communities during the recent tough economy.

FEBRUARY 2009

ST - 236 occupied homes

Enclave - 98 occupied homes

Total - 334 occupied homes

MARCH 2010

ST - 314 occupied homes

Enclave - 147 occupied homes

Total - 461 occupied homes

Some derived metrics:

ST has experienced a growth of 33% in the past 13 months

Enclave has experienced a growth of 50% in the past 13 months

ST/Enclave has experienced a growth of 38% in the past 13 months