Southern Trails Community In Pearland

Timnwendy

I just purchased an Ashton Woods home at ST (Auburn Trail Lane) and am extremely excited about living in such a wonderful community. I can only image how great it will look once it is all built out. I worked with twgreen (Wayne), and he's awesome. I highly recomend anyone who is looking for a home in Pearland to stop by and talk to him. He's fair, honest, and will work with you. He even helped me get my money back from a deal that I previously walked away from because of poor build quality. My home inspector found only minor flaws and remarked that the build quality was just as good as any of the higher end homes such as Trendmaker. The quality is night and day from the other builder I was working with. This has been been the best overall purchasing experience I've ever had - so far : ) Only problem is that closing date seems to be an eternity away. (not really, but we are so excited, it seems like forever!)

ST is in an unbeatable location; Pearland is booming; The size of the subdivison is optimal (not too big, not too small); No cheap homes except in the Enclave (but that as a seperate section with its own entrance, across the road); the homes are georgous (make sure you check out Ashton Wood's 'Heritage' floorplan); it's not close enough to the landfill to matter (like Shadow Creek); and no apartments around (like SCR). The only thing that keeps Southern Trails from being the perfect subdivision is the lack of tennis courts or a basketball court, but that can change later, maybe.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's not close enough to the landfill to matter (like Shadow Creek); and no apartments around (like SCR). The only thing that keeps Southern Trails from being the perfect subdivision is the lack of tennis courts or a basketball court, but that can change later, maybe.

First off, congrats on your purchase and we're pleased to meet you, neighbor!

However, I don't think we should ignore what's happening west of us with that landfill. As the crow flies, we're only about 2 miles away from it. It seems harmless now, but if its expansion goes through, it could affect us (although Shadowcreek is definitely going to be crippled much worse - in negative name-recognition if nothing else).

I am also in love with ST, but there is room for improvement. For example, the wooden fences along the main streets should be painted or stained. In their current state, they don't carry enough appeal. But if you've read this whole thread you know I've beat that horse pretty good. :)

They should have already built the perimeter brick. I see Firethorne (the neighborhood I live in, in Katy) and Southern Trails as very similar neighborhoods, but Firethorne did it right. Maybe it is because Firethorne has more competition.

In North Katy even, Lennar built a neighborhood called "Lakecrest", and they had the nice-looking brick perimeter already set up, while building the homes. Looks very nice and Southern Trails should have did this.

First off, congrats on your purchase and we're pleased to meet you, neighbor!

However, I don't think we should ignore what's happening west of us with that landfill. As the crow flies, we're only about 2 miles away from it. It seems harmless now, but if its expansion goes through, it could affect us (although Shadowcreek is definitely going to be crippled much worse - in negative name-recognition if nothing else).

I am also in love with ST, but there is room for improvement. For example, the wooden fences along the main streets should be painted or stained. In their current state, they don't carry enough appeal. But if you've read this whole thread you know I've beat that horse pretty good. :)

Same here, neighbor! Regarding the landfill, a quick google research points to a study which shows empirical evidence that a distance over 2 miles from a landfill has negligible effect on home values. Secondly, I doubt that the vertical expansion of the landfill will be permitted due to the radar towers; they should only be able to expand westward. While the looming possibility of landfill expansion may cast a "shadow" on our community, in the long term I don't believe we should be overly concerned. I've never smelled anything while at ST or west SCR. Consumer demand has not been affected, as twgreen advised that they sold 5 homes in the last two days (and that's just Ashton Woods). In fact, I brought a family friend last week to take a look, and she's already under contract! It is a very impressive neighborhood and an easy sell, I think.

About the fences, I think they are only obvious because the build-out is not complete. Once all the lots are fronted by nice shiny new houses, and some landscaping, and once the fences fade and blend to a uniform color, I don't think we will continue to notice too much. Besides, I think our entrance with the lakes is grand enough to impress most home buyers. I didn't really notice the fence issue until I read this thread. But, yes, some paint would be nice; brown would be best probably. Maybe we can push the issue with the HOA.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0023-7639...%3E2.0.CO%3B2-A

Still, they could have did that before. I have seen a ton of neighborhoods in Katy build the brick/fences around first before the houses are there, and then add in the houses afterwards (landscaping would happen while the bricks/fences were going up).

With what I am reading, I don't think they did it right in Southern Trails and it brings down the neighborhood's value if you have different sized fences everywhere.

Even then, I think this is just a minor issue that can be fixed quickly once the neighborhood gets going.

We took a drive through ST yesterday, exploring parts we had not visited before. We noticed quite a bit of new construction moving forward. New infrastructure is going in too. The builders are really putting in some big homes.

One thing that did catch our eye is that Imperial seems to be lagging behind Ashton Woods and Trendmaker in both new construction and 'sold' signs on existing homes. Something to file away, for those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

The wooden fence that backs to CR 48 is down and the wrought iron has been removed from the brick wall. There were bricks being delivered before 7:00 a.m. today. I assume they are going to make solid brick walls for the houses that back up to the street. I liked the wrought iron look, but I think the brick will be better for homeowner privacy and will prevent more homeowners from "creating their own privacy".

We drove past there yesterday and I noticed that too. You beat me to the post. :)

I think the brick wall will look better.

Oh, one other thing I found out recently is that Ashton Woods is now offering 20K discounts on their homes at ST. I think this incentive, plus the news of interest rates falling, is what is helping sales there now.

We drove past there yesterday and I noticed that too. You beat me to the post. :)

I think the brick wall will look better.

Oh, one other thing I found out recently is that Ashton Woods is now offering 20K discounts on their homes at ST. I think this incentive, plus the news of interest rates falling, is what is helping sales there now.

Thanks for that info, Timnwendy... we are still considering Southern Trails but it's been just beyond our reach... that discount might help. I'll keep it on the table!

I live in Southern Trails and love it. Nice, family-friendly...great people around. My only issue is that there is a drill (?) located nearby (in between us and the soon-to-be-completed Macy's) and some nights it's really, really loud.

Glad you mentioned that!

Are you referring to the large yellow tower with flags on top? I've been wondering what that was. It certaintly looks like some kind of drilling tool.

It's outrageous to think they're allowed to construct something like that in a strictly residential/commercial area...

It's outrageous to think they're allowed to construct something like that in a strictly residential/commercial area...

Did you folks see them build it after you moved in? I suspect that (like many things in west Pearland) it was there first, and Southern Trails came along after it.

If that land between ST and the towncenter is really planned for more residential development, I don't see how that yellow tower can remain there. But then again, here in the greater Houston area, I guess anything is possible. They might just build around it!

Did you folks see them build it after you moved in? I suspect that (like many things in west Pearland) it was there first, and Southern Trails came along after it.

If that land between ST and the towncenter is really planned for more residential development, I don't see how that yellow tower can remain there. But then again, here in the greater Houston area, I guess anything is possible. They might just build around it!

It was definitely constructed recently, as I recall seeing it for the first time in Jan. or Dec.

But yeah, Houston does have ridiculous zoning laws...

It was definitely constructed recently, as I recall seeing it for the first time in Jan. or Dec.

But yeah, Houston does have ridiculous zoning laws...

You mean, zero zoning laws, and isn't that in the City of Pearland to begin with?

I had a good chat with twgreen at the Ashton Woods model yesterday. I learned some new info (at least new to me).

The construction to widen 518 west of Kirby is moving forward. I guess that's why they are currently laying in the new (bigger) drainage pipes along the 2-lane. No ETA on it's finish yet, though.

The land east of ST is zoned for residential, except for a chunk along 518 adjacent to the ST main entrance (a parcel of land on the left as you face the ST main entrance). That chunk of land will have a church built on it.

twgreen had a new ST site plan printed out and he gave me a copy, it shows much more detail than what can be found on the ST website. Many new roads and sections of the development are shown. It is a very nice map, and I hope he can convert it to a pdf document and replace the old pdf that is shown on the ST website. (hint, hint)

Hint? I can take a hint. :) Also, here's a neat 288 map i just got. Dang, files too big

I believe they are drilling a well for a water tower for the area; it might probably look like the one at cullen and broadway adjacent to the fire station. Because Pearland is planning to build a water storage site on kirby south of broadway/518. This tower seems to match the location of the would-be water tower.

I believe they are drilling a well for a water tower for the area; it might probably look like the one at cullen and broadway adjacent to the fire station. Because Pearland is planning to build a water storage site on kirby south of broadway/518. This tower seems to match the location of the would-be water tower.

If that's the case, it seems to me there should be some sort of public notice or planning documents on the City of Pearland web site. That is, unless it's being built by a MUD instead of the city -- I don't know a lot of about how that stuff works. I tried looking on the city web site just now, but came up with nothing.

I just finished a successful google search and I think you are right. I found this pdf document which is a map showing some of Pearland's capital projects for 2007 (I guess 2008 too.) Open that map and look at the Southern Trails area and you will see a project for a well at the site we're discussing. Interestingly, it also shows a water treatment plant there. Does this mean sewage treatment? Somebody please tell me I'm wrong about that interpretation. :( If not, it might get a bit smelly when the wind blows from the east. Or the folks shopping at the new Towncenter might get a whiff of unpleasantness from time to time. :P

Other interesting projects on the map are the Hwy 288 feeder roads and the new Firestation #6 coming to Kirby, near the well/water treatment plant.

I cut out a piece of the pdf map showing these projects, and will attach it to this reply.

I think your okay with the water well. Even though the well water is probably okay to drink straight from the well, state law requires treatment and testing hence a water treatment facility. Usually the other type plant is listed as a sewage treatment facility. That and they generally don't like to have those two things so close to one another.

thanks for clearing it up! glad to see that a fire station will be arriving soon!

On an unrelated note, does anyone know our HOA's stance on political yard signs? Are they banned entirely, or do they have time-limits? Anyone know?

Thanks,

I used to manage HOA's. My recollection is that political signs are considered part of your freedom of speech and cannot be banned. However, there may be reasonable limits as to when they can be displayed, such as a certain number of days before an election. Otherwise, some clown would have his candidate's sign up forever.

I used to manage HOA's. My recollection is that political signs are considered part of your freedom of speech and cannot be banned. However, there may be reasonable limits as to when they can be displayed, such as a certain number of days before an election. Otherwise, some clown would have his candidate's sign up forever.

Just looked at the Shadow Creek Ranch restrictions. Signs can go up 2 weeks prior to an election and must be removed the day after the election.

Just looked at the Shadow Creek Ranch restrictions. Signs can go up 2 weeks prior to an election and must be removed the day after the election.

Southern Trails deed restrictions section 9.21 reads as follows:

"9.21 Signs. No signs, flags or flag poles shall be displayed to the public view on any Lot without the prior written approval of the Architectural Control Committe, with the following exceptions: (i) Declarant and homebuilders may erect and maintain one or more signs or flags for the construction, development, operation, promotion and sale of the Lots: (ii) the patriotic display of flags not exceeding 4N x 6N in size shall be permitted on customary holidays; and (iii) signs of customary dimentions (3N x 4N maximum) advertising said property or portions thereof for sale. Notwithstanding anthing herein contained to the contrary, any and all signs, if allowed, shall comply with all sign standards of the City of Pearland, Texas, as such standards may be applicable to the Properties."

Southern Trails deed restrictions section 9.21 reads as follows:

"9.21 Signs. No signs, flags or flag poles shall be displayed to the public view on any Lot without the prior written approval of the Architectural Control Committe, with the following exceptions: (i) Declarant and homebuilders may erect and maintain one or more signs or flags for the construction, development, operation, promotion and sale of the Lots: (ii) the patriotic display of flags not exceeding 4N x 6N in size shall be permitted on customary holidays; and (iii) signs of customary dimentions (3N x 4N maximum) advertising said property or portions thereof for sale. Notwithstanding anthing herein contained to the contrary, any and all signs, if allowed, shall comply with all sign standards of the City of Pearland, Texas, as such standards may be applicable to the Properties."

Thanks. That's truly a shame. I'm surprised to see no reference of election signs... Anyone know how to get in contact with this "Architectural Control Committee"?

Thanks. That's truly a shame. I'm surprised to see no reference of election signs... Anyone know how to get in contact with this "Architectural Control Committee"?

I'm finding it a real quest to get any answers about the ST HOA. Here is what has been happening to me: I send an email to the Southern Trails HOA care of the PCMI site, then (if I'm lucky) someone from the PCMI replies a few days later and says they are forwarding my email to the person on the ST HOA. Then it seems to fall into a black hole, cuz I never hear from anyone.

I really want to find out when the HOA next meeting is, so I can attend it, meet everyone, and get some direct email addresses. Wish me luck. :huh:

I'm finding it a real quest to get any answers about the ST HOA. Here is what has been happening to me: I send an email to the Southern Trails HOA care of the PCMI site, then (if I'm lucky) someone from the PCMI replies a few days later and says they are forwarding my email to the person on the ST HOA. Then it seems to fall into a black hole, cuz I never hear from anyone.

I really want to find out when the HOA next meeting is, so I can attend it, meet everyone, and get some direct email addresses. Wish me luck. :huh:

Please forward or at least copy me on questions and issues so i can follow up or possibly answer and/or resolve. Wayne

Archived