Southern Trails Community In Pearland

Timnwendy

I find it interesting that you comment about the apartments in SCR. I have lived in Pearland going on 15 years and can remember when SCR was soybean fields. Then came the announcement that SCR was to be built. From day one the developers said that it was going to be a multi housing development which would be home to more than 12,000 residents living in houses, townhomes, and apartments. For someone to be surprised by the fact that apartments were built in SCR is quite frankly surprising to me. When the negotiations were occuring between Alvin and Pearlad ISD's about who would take in SCR to their district one of PISD's stumbling points were they did not want it because of the planned apartments. I will try to find some of the old initial announcements about SCR, but can assure you that if someone did not know apartments were coming it is only because the builder they bought from never mentioned it to them because SCR's original developers were very upfront about the type housing that was going to be part of the development.

brerrabbit, I am in agreement with you. Somebody didn't do their homework when they picked out that lot in SCR. I was merely sharing an example of the dangers of residential areas being built right next to retail.

Also, to clarify: before I typed this, I reread the post I was referring to. It was from Houston456, not HoustonRealtor. The house in question was a foreclosure, but it lost even more value due to its proximity to the apartments (which you could see in the HAR photos of the property, which have since been removed).

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was working in the area at the time Shadow Creek was built as that area flooded very easily when it was a pasture...

the original plan called for townhomes on 2234 as the apartments you see on the eastern end of the neighborhood were no way even thought of..the sign, I wonder if its still there, said luxury townhomes

that was a late night decision fueled by success new apartments are having right off 288

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../18/story5.html

Read the above article from June of 2001. On page 2 is says "Multi-family and senior housing units will be constructed as well." If you are not familiar with real estate speak multi-family housing units means apartments. They did not make a late night decision fueled by the success of new apartments off 288. They planned from day one to have apartments as part of the development, so I say once again nobody should be surprised that ther are apartments in Shadow Creek Ranch as they have planned for them since day one.

I have lived in Pearland for 15 years and have seen the SCR plans from the beginning. I attended City Council meetings and school board meetings during which the entire SCR Master Plan was discussed. There have always been plans for apartments. Part of the discussions during the school board meetings was if the city included SCR would the school district have to incorporate the students from the apartments. Given the rapid growth of the west side of Pearland and the ever increasing number of students it was stated that if SCR was to be in PISD then there would have to be rapid accelerated growth and mega bond issues to cover the cost of the new schools. Thats on top of the schools that were already needed to cover the expansion outside of SCR. At the time I knew several board members personally and they were given several presentations by the developers of SCR and every presentation included apartments exactly where the apartments are today in SCR. At the time I was the President of the Pearland Area Dads Club and we knew that with the growth we would be needing additional playing fields for Little League Baseball, Girls Softball, and Youth Football. As such I contacted the developers to see what their master plan was and to see if we could possibly arrange long term, low cost leases for sports fields within SCR. During my meeting with the developers in 1999-2000 I saw the original site plans for SCR. Included in those plans were apartments. I was also told that no recreational areas were available for negotiations because as part of the overall deal cut with the City of Pearland that all available green space was commited to the Pearland Parks Department and that any negotiations of the construction and use of the areas would have to go through them. Say what you want but I believe today and will always believe because I was told by numerous people associated with the developers, school board members, city council members, and other city officials that apartments were always on the plan, plans I saw as early as 1999.

if it was they sure hid it to the average person as the first map that was on the web site contained nothing but a townhome community..the developers knew but it wasn't easy to find as the townhomes they mentioned that haven't came yet

I saw first hand how though how Sienna and the city of Missouri City fought over apartments seven years ago and they finally are being built....

Well two reasons I think I was aware of the apartments, first when I saw the original plans the area was marked as multi family units. Since they saw me as some dumb hick from Pearland looking for a baseball field for kids to play on I flat out asked them, "does that mean apartments?" and they said yeah. Second for all the flowery literiture and flyers they put out advertising the plans for SCR once they got to the zoning guys and city council they were asked point blank, "does the plan include apartments?" and they had to answer honestly to get the deal they wanted with the city. At the time the city was and still is very anti apartments but legally they can't say no. But what they can do is limit the number of units per acre, which effectively pushes the initial rents way up.

That's how Sienna and Mo. City fought...Sienna wanted apartments and asked for high-end ones to be approved but the city said no as they council stated the lack of apartments are a reason people are drawn to the city....that led to a nasty fight between the developer and the city as compromise after compromise had to be made....I see the apartments in Sienna are quite aways from the actual community

I can see how the deveopers could mask that in Pearland.....they stressed the townhomes so much that it made you overlook potentially what else could come..and those apartments came fast...I mean fast as we're waiting on the townhomes still...

but I see 288 is now apartment city...as that's all you see being built in the Houston part with no zoning

That's how Sienna and Mo. City fought...Sienna wanted apartments and asked for high-end ones to be approved but the city said no as they council stated the lack of apartments are a reason people are drawn to the city....that led to a nasty fight between the developer and the city as compromise after compromise had to be made....I see the apartments in Sienna are quite aways from the actual community

I can see how the deveopers could mask that in Pearland.....they stressed the townhomes so much that it made you overlook potentially what else could come..and those apartments came fast...I mean fast as we're waiting on the townhomes still...

but I see 288 is now apartment city...as that's all you see being built in the Houston part with no zoning

As an FYI, the townhomes are in the process of being built on FM 2234 (Shadow Creek Pkwy) between Reflection Bay and Kirby. The infrastructure is being installed as we email. Any viable community needs apartments to sustain itself/grow. There are a number of jobs in the local community that are "entry" level positions and the people filling those positions will be looking to rent until they save enough to purchase a home.

As an FYI, the townhomes are in the process of being built on FM 2234 (Shadow Creek Pkwy) between Reflection Bay and Kirby. The infrastructure is being installed as we email.

Any idea on who is building the townhomes and at what price point? I haven't been able to find much info on them, but I know some people that may be interested depending on the timing, product and price.

As an FYI, the townhomes are in the process of being built on FM 2234 (Shadow Creek Pkwy) between Reflection Bay and Kirby. The infrastructure is being installed as we email. Any viable community needs apartments to sustain itself/grow. There are a number of jobs in the local community that are "entry" level positions and the people filling those positions will be looking to rent until they save enough to purchase a home.

Does anyone know what is going up next to the townhomes? It looks to me that the townhomes are on the right side (if you are facing North) and there is another taller building on the left side. Just wondering.

In an attempt to steer this thread back on topic, take a peek at this large home for sale in Southern Trails. It is a (new) inventory home by Ashton Woods. It's on my street, at the end of the cul-de-sac, and I'm looking for some good neighbors to move in! :P

Looks good except for the brick indoors..but i guess some folks like it.

Nice floor plan too, like most Ashton Woods plans.

Woah..it has 50k in upgrades! You can expect at least 30k off that asking price.

Woah..it has 50k in upgrades! You can expect at least 30k off that asking price.

Agreed. They had it listed for 5K less a couple of months ago. I suspect they raised the price knowing they'd have to come down alot to find a buyer.

They have a running 'open house' on this home every weekend, and I walked through it recently. One thing the realtor's pictures don't show is the huge media room that this house has (upstairs). It is complete with french doors and cinemaesque column molding from floor-to-ceiling at points along the walls. It fairly screams to have a monster HD TV put in it. In addition to this, they still have an upstairs game room too. So there are really only 4 'pure' bedrooms. A very interesting house, but these features might narrow the pool of prospective buyers to those with specific tastes and lifestyles.

In an attempt to steer this thread back on topic, take a peek at this large home for sale in Southern Trails. It is a (new) inventory home by Ashton Woods. It's on my street, at the end of the cul-de-sac, and I'm looking for some good neighbors to move in! :P

why even put a covered back porch on it? it is about 5x10. ridiculous.

Does anyone know what is going up next to the townhomes? It looks to me that the townhomes are on the right side (if you are facing North) and there is another taller building on the left side. Just wondering.

rem78, maybe you are referring to the construction on the north side of Shadow Creek Parkway at Reflection Bay. The taller building (6 stories?) on the corner is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn. I believe that the project east of there is a retirement community. I'm not sure if it will be a nursing home or just a "senior living facility".

rem78, maybe you are referring to the construction on the north side of Shadow Creek Parkway at Reflection Bay. The taller building (6 stories?) on the corner is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn. I believe that the project east of there is a retirement community. I'm not sure if it will be a nursing home or just a "senior living facility".

FYI, if you want info on the Senior Living Facility next to the hotel. http://cantexsc.com/centers/colonnades.php

why even put a covered back porch on it? it is about 5x10. ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? I think a covered porch, even a small one, is great. Especially for kids. A shady place to play with cars, and somewhere to keep furniture, toys, whatever out of the rain. Certainly a LARGE covered porch would be better, but I guess they wouldn't invest that much into an inventory home.

Why is it ridiculous? I think a covered porch, even a small one, is great. Especially for kids. A shady place to play with cars, and somewhere to keep furniture, toys, whatever out of the rain. Certainly a LARGE covered porch would be better, but I guess they wouldn't invest that much into an inventory home.

if you put more than 3 chairs you'd block the back door. that's ridiculous

Nice place, Timnwendy! Though these kind of pictures never really do the homes justice.

But on that note, there's a very nice Ashton Woods house that went on sale on our street. The front is fantastic, and the home itself is very spacious.

During construction, it had a buyer, but as soon as they finished it, the buyer dropped out (or so it seems), and now there's an "Available" sign.

Def. worth checking out. It's on Forest Sage Lane, towards the cul-de-sac. We'd love to have some neighbors :D

Nice place, Timnwendy! Though these kind of pictures never really do the homes justice.

But on that note, there's a very nice Ashton Woods house that went on sale on our street. The front is fantastic, and the home itself is very spacious.

During construction, it had a buyer, but as soon as they finished it, the buyer dropped out (or so it seems), and now there's an "Available" sign.

Def. worth checking out. It's on Forest Sage Lane, towards the cul-de-sac. We'd love to have some neighbors :D

Ashton Woods doesn't have this house listed on their Southern Trails site yet. The list is currently down to only 4 inventory homes, but I have noticed that they are slow on updating it. I'll check out the house on Forest Sage this weekend.

twgreen, do you know what will be built on the land due east of Southern trails, on the vacant land between ST and the new Kirby Drive extension?

sorry yall, been busy. Its single family. Thats a definite. Not apartments or retail.

what is going to be developed directly east of st?

houses- single family

TW Green said that

I said what? the schools? Im just reporting what i read.

Agreed. They had it listed for 5K less a couple of months ago. I suspect they raised the price knowing they'd have to come down alot to find a buyer.

They have a running 'open house' on this home every weekend, and I walked through it recently. One thing the realtor's pictures don't show is the huge media room that this house has (upstairs). It is complete with french doors and cinemaesque column molding from floor-to-ceiling at points along the walls. It fairly screams to have a monster HD TV put in it. In addition to this, they still have an upstairs game room too. So there are really only 4 'pure' bedrooms. A very interesting house, but these features might narrow the pool of prospective buyers to those with specific tastes and lifestyles.

This is called "not the way to build a home for profit". this thing is loaded and we will have to reduce to appraise.

I like the brick indoors. Looks like my house.

I had a good chat with twgreen at the Ashton Woods model yesterday. I learned some new info (at least new to me).

The construction to widen 518 west of Kirby is moving forward. I guess that's why they are currently laying in the new (bigger) drainage pipes along the 2-lane. No ETA on it's finish yet, though.

The land east of ST is zoned for residential, except for a chunk along 518 adjacent to the ST main entrance (a parcel of land on the left as you face the ST main entrance). That chunk of land will have a church built on it.

twgreen had a new ST site plan printed out and he gave me a copy, it shows much more detail than what can be found on the ST website. Many new roads and sections of the development are shown. It is a very nice map, and I hope he can convert it to a pdf document and replace the old pdf that is shown on the ST website. (hint, hint)

Yesterday I was driving by the stepchild of Southern Trails (The Enclave at Southern Trails, all by itself across CR 48) and noticed that one of the new homes that backs up to CR 48 has a newly installed wood fence across the rear property line. Not only is the fence visible through the wrought iron that sits atop the brick wall, it is taller than both of them combined. I would hope that the HOA addresses this ASAP, and hope even more that they didn't authorize it in the first place. While the fence is nice and new today, it will age and deteriorate over time. The fact that it is so visible detracts from the uniformity that was intended when the developer built the wall around the community. And even if this homeowner takes meticulous care of the fence, what is to prevent his neighbor from installing one and not maintaining it? And the guy two doors down might put one up and paint or stain it. Before you know it, what the developer intended to be appealing, could turn into an eyesore created by homeowners.

If the HOA for that 'enclave' section is the same as the HOA up in the main part of ST, I would expect they will notify the owner. I was talking to a resident up in the main part of ST and he said he got a letter from the HOA for the minor infraction of leaving a couple of storage bins on his porch for more than 2 days.

Yesterday I was driving by the stepchild of Southern Trails (The Enclave at Southern Trails, all by itself across CR 48) and noticed that one of the new homes that backs up to CR 48 has a newly installed wood fence across the rear property line. Not only is the fence visible through the wrought iron that sits atop the brick wall, it is taller than both of them combined. I would hope that the HOA addresses this ASAP, and hope even more that they didn't authorize it in the first place. While the fence is nice and new today, it will age and deteriorate over time. The fact that it is so visible detracts from the uniformity that was intended when the developer built the wall around the community. And even if this homeowner takes meticulous care of the fence, what is to prevent his neighbor from installing one and not maintaining it? And the guy two doors down might put one up and paint or stain it. Before you know it, what the developer intended to be appealing, could turn into an eyesore created by homeowners.

Who's great idea was it to have that kind of brick/fence wall? Their backyard is visible to whoever drives along that road. There is zero privacy!

I think I remember a wooden fence there, until it was replaced by this...I bet those homeowners were pissed. I would have put up something also.

Who's great idea was it to have that kind of brick/fence wall? Their backyard is visible to whoever drives along that road. There is zero privacy!

I think I remember a wooden fence there, until it was replaced by this...I bet those homeowners were pissed. I would have put up something also.

I admit that I'm not a fan of the wall, but only because of privacy. The wall itself is attactive enough, I just wouldn't want it to be at the edge of my backyard.

If the buyer started this house before the wall was there, the Newmark salesperson probably told the buyer that there would be a brick wall as their back fence. True...but misleading. My only concern at this point is uniformity, as others are sure to follow suit in creating their own privacy.

I always love these discussions where homeowners actions seem to prompt the reaction of the HOA and the supporters who come out in favor of the HOA saying "oh they are just protecting the value of my property!"

Get real people! First off who in their right mind would buy the house at the entrance or exit to the neighborhood and regardless of what fence is there expect any level of privacy? Then when they attempt to fix the situation not expect the wrath of the HOA? People are so quick to grab onto the latest trend and move to the fastest growing areas where all sorts of these things are gonna happen, as well as problems with the fast growing retail centers, roads, crime and overcrowding. I have said it before and will say it again, thank God I live in east Pearland where the growth is not driving me crazy.

And in that regard the rapid growth of west Pearland has spread the enthusiasm all the way across town and I fear will lead to vacant buildings and decline of my once tranquil hometown. Developers and lenders have got caught up in the rush of money to Pearland and are rapidly overbuilding the retail infrastructure. Drive east on 518 sometime and notice the number of retail centers planned, being built and already built. The notice the occupancy rate of the retail centers. It falls proportionately the farther east you get. The extra space built in front of the movie theatres at McClean Rd hvae not been occupied since they built them five years ago. The industrial building turned retail center at Galveston Street has never had any tenents. Further past Lowes behind the new Chili's that center has been built for over a year with one tenent, a nail salon. Now further past Dixie Farm Road next to the skating rink they are building retail and a sign just across the street where a huge house on ten acres sits they just put up a sign announcing more retail space. While I enjoy the retail and dinning opportunities in west Pearland the additional growth it has spawned further east is not welcomed and simply turning my once small little town into what will become an area of urban blight.

Archived