Southern Trails Community In Pearland

Timnwendy

My wife and I are very interested in Southern Trails, one of the newer master-planned communities along the Hwy 288 corridor, just west of 288 off FM 518.

The builders seem to be some of the best, including Newmark, Ashton Woods, David Weekly, Imperial, Trendmaker, and Trophy, and and the location seems great too (only 1.5 miles from 288 and the soon-to-come Pearland Towncenter), and not too close to the Blue Ridge landfill - which lies approx. 2 miles northwest, along the west side of FM 521. (Sidebar: The close proximity of the landfill to the final phases of Shadowcreek Ranch is the main reason we elected not to build there.)

We checked the mileage from Southern Trails to the Texas Medical Center, and it is only 12.5 miles. You can't beat that if you work there (which we both do).

The early phases are almost built out, but Ashton Woods still has a dozen or so lots available in the section near the main entrance, with a price range of $200K-250K.

I would appreciate any comments any of you have about Southern Trails and/or Ashton Woods. Ashton Woods is the builder we would probably be contracting with for our home, since Weekly has closed out there and Newmark is located too far back in the complex.

Thanks!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I live in the section of Southern Trails that you are considering -- we bought a Weekley home. We've been very happy with the neighborhood! I think that it's the best location in the community, because we're right by the amenity center, and most streets are cul-de-sac streets.

We've found that the families are mostly young families with young kids (like us). We also have a few retired couples. If you have young kids, they will go to the brand new Wilder Elementary. My son went to Mary Marek last year and moved over to Wilder this year. I don't know if it's a difference in teachers or administration, but we have been a lot happier with Wilder!

I don't know if you had the same experience we had, but we were so pleased to find Southern Trails. We looked in Shadow Creek Ranch, but couldn't find the warm-fuzzy there. When we finally made it over here, it felt more quaint and homey. It's a really beautiful neighborhood, and will be stunning as the trees grow in and the builders move out.

I don't really have any negatives. Well, maybe. It's a bummer that we have a much higher property tax than those in Silverlake and Silvercreek. I don't like being so far from good retail therapy, but that will be getting better soon! I'm a little worried about the traffic that the new mall will bring to our area, especially during the holidays. I wish they would have opened the pool earlier in the year, and closed it later, but I bet that will change next year. Building in our section has slowed down, and it seems like it will be a long time before they're done on our street. I think that's about it.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me. Good luck! I know how hard it is to make that decision!

Hi Tammy, I do have one question. Have you heard anything about the developer and/or the Homeowners Association replacing the wooden fences along the main road (Southern Trails Drive) with brick walls? The first section of Southern Trails Drive looks great with the brick walls, but then it changes to wood fences when you get further south towards the community center. The wood fences are not even painted a uniform color. It's a bit unappealing, but not a show-stopper for making a purchase.

Thanks for all the other info you gave.

I was once looking at Southern Trails (based on TammyB's suggestion early this year or late last year).

I was itching to move, but I was predicting prices would come back. Combine that with the HIGH taxas and HOA fees, and I was content to sit in my little house in Houston and save some money. Between the HOA and Taxes, that was an extra $8k - 10k a year, which is quite a bit for having to deal with 518, IMO. Other than that, if I were going to build in the area, I'd go to ST before SCR... I like ST and may still pull the trigger on it, but not in the next year or so.

Hey,

I'm glad you're considering Southern Trails. We moved to the community this summer (David Weekly home), and it has been great. The easy in-out access is definitely a plus (when compared to SCR's maze-like street layout), as is the smaller feel of the community. Its growing very rapidly (just drive through it, there's new homes coming up everywhere). All our neighbors are terrific, they're primarily young couples.

I know that Ashton Woods is a terrific builder, and their designs are very upscale, though I've heard their prices are equally high.

There's a user on this forum that is a Realtor working in Southern Trails. He'll probably respond when he sees the post...

But if you have any specific questions, please go ahead and ask. There are a few posts on the development in this forum, so feel free to do a search.

Congratulations! Which side will you be on (the left side or the right side)?

The great thing about Southern Trails is that they have a considerable amount left to build, so they won't be "abandoning" the community's aesthetic needs anytime soon.

Glad to have another HAIF neighbor!

• 2 weeks later...

Group-Im the Sale Manager for Ashton Woods. Being that we are also he developer, I will be devoting probably 75% of my time there for the next 90-120 days as a lot is happening. Ive been in the bsiness and this area for 15 years. Please do not hesitate to stop by and visit or ask any questions you may have. We have a new Land Director who is the best Ive seen. He has the community looking better than it has is awhile. And the front lake is near complete. I will do what I can to help all (including thos with othe builders :) ). You all should see the frontage of the church properrty knocked down this week or early next. Our goal is to clean up "our"side of 518 even if we foot the bill. Somebody mentioned gated area. That will be a (im not gonna say active adult) low maintenece section of new product that has some incredible design. Id say 60 days out on that and 45 on the next 60's. Please dont hold me to exact as lots of factors play a role (contractors, weather, the city etc). Thanks to those who live their and those considering (again, even the other builders), ask. Thanks

I'm not aware of any website. I haven't been able to find them with a search either.
Group. Here is link:http://www.pcmi-us.com/
Hi Tammy, I do have one question. Have you heard anything about the developer and/or the Homeowners Association replacing the wooden fences along the main road (Southern Trails Drive) with brick walls? The first section of Southern Trails Drive looks great with the brick walls, but then it changes to wood fences when you get further south towards the community center. The wood fences are not even painted a uniform color. It's a bit unappealing, but not a show-stopper for making a purchase.Thanks for all the other info you gave.
Working on this one. Cant guarantee but it has been discussed
My wife and I are very interested in Southern Trails, one of the newer master-planned communities along the Hwy 288 corridor, just west of 288 off FM 518. The builders seem to be some of the best, including Newmark, Ashton Woods, David Weekly, Imperial, Trendmaker, and Trophy, and and the location seems great too (only 1.5 miles from 288 and the soon-to-come Pearland Towncenter), and not too close to the Blue Ridge landfill - which lies approx. 2 miles northwest, along the west side of FM 521. (Sidebar: The close proximity of the landfill to the final phases of Shadowcreek Ranch is the main reason we elected not to build there.)We checked the mileage from Southern Trails to the Texas Medical Center, and it is only 12.5 miles. You can't beat that if you work there (which we both do). The early phases are almost built out, but Ashton Woods still has a dozen or so lots available in the section near the main entrance, with a price range of $200K-250K. We are down to about 11 lots which we purchased from Weekly. Id say first of year we will start building in new section which is +/_ 90 lots. We are going to split in half. 1/2 70' and 1/2 60'I would appreciate any comments any of you have about Southern Trails and/or Ashton Woods. Ashton Woods is the builder we would probably be contracting with for our home, since Weekly has closed out there and Newmark is located too far back in the complex. Thanks!

post-4942-1194581676.jpg

post-4942-1194581715.jpg

<br /><b>twgreen</b>, thanks for all the information. Question: I went to the PCMI website link you gave, and is there a reason why Southern Trails doesn't appear in the <a href="http://www.pcmi-us.com/directory.asp?id=127334&page=2&dir=7" target="_blank">PCMI directory</a> ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My politically correct answer would be I'm not sure. I noticed that too. another reason I'm gonna be devoting 75-80% of my time out there. I'm working close with mark, our land vp and we r proactivly going to address these things. I'm driving the entire community daily not only monitoring job sites but homeowner yard maintenence. I've alreay had several discusions with HOA about some of the yards (most look great, which is why I will not allow a few to bring those down). Back to your question, they prob jjuust haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the alert and I'm addressing as I type. Thanks

<br /><br /><br />

My politically correct answer would be I'm not sure. I noticed that too. another reason I'm gonna be devoting 75-80% of my time out there. I'm working close with mark, our land vp and we r proactivly going to address these things. I'm driving the entire community daily not only monitoring job sites but homeowner yard maintenence. I've alreay had several discusions with HOA about some of the yards (most look great, which is why I will not allow a few to bring those down). Back to your question, they prob jjuust haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the alert and I'm addressing as I type. Thanks

I just sent this to them:

Results for search on "southern trails":- No Matching Records -I guess we dont exist.

twgreen, thanks for all the information. Question: I went to the PCMI website link you gave, and is there a reason why Southern Trails doesn't appear in the PCMI directory ?

Finally got someone. Our contact was off today but i brought to their attention and i informed our land guy whois in constant talks with them. It should be up soon.

Thanks twgreen!

Do you know if the large lake in the front-right of Southern Trails Dr. will be raised? I'm not talking about the lakes with the Southern Trails signs

Thanks again!

Ive asked that too. Im told mother nature, when active again will bring it up.

Thanks twgreen!

Do you know if the large lake in the front-right of Southern Trails Dr. will be raised? I'm not talking about the lakes with the Southern Trails signs

Thanks again!

Group- just talked wirh PCMI and we will be added. Thanks for bringing to our attention. Good Teamwork!

twgreen, thanks for all the information. Question: I went to the PCMI website link you gave, and is there a reason why Southern Trails doesn't appear in the PCMI directory ?
Here you go Tim:Name: Southern Trails RAI E-Mail: customercare@pcmi-us.com Thanks for the heads up.
My wife and I are very interested in Southern Trails, one of the newer master-planned communities along the Hwy 288 corridor, just west of 288 off FM 518. The builders seem to be some of the best, including Newmark, Ashton Woods, David Weekly, Imperial, Trendmaker, and Trophy, and and the location seems great too (only 1.5 miles from 288 and the soon-to-come Pearland Towncenter), and not too close to the Blue Ridge landfill - which lies approx. 2 miles northwest, along the west side of FM 521. (Sidebar: The close proximity of the landfill to the final phases of Shadowcreek Ranch is the main reason we elected not to build there.)We checked the mileage from Southern Trails to the Texas Medical Center, and it is only 12.5 miles. You can't beat that if you work there (which we both do). The early phases are almost built out, but Ashton Woods still has a dozen or so lots available in the section near the main entrance, with a price range of $200K-250K. I would appreciate any comments any of you have about Southern Trails and/or Ashton Woods. Ashton Woods is the builder we would probably be contracting with for our home, since Weekly has closed out there and Newmark is located too far back in the complex. Thanks!
timIf you have any specific questions about ashton woods, email me at twgreen@aol.com. although id love to sell all of this group homes, i find it inappropriate to use this forum as a advertisement. I will simply use it to update and anwer what i can.

I found out yesterday that the 60' lots sold by Ashton Woods at Southern Trails included fully-sodded lawns in the standard landscape package. Also oak trees, not pine. I'm not sure what the bigger lots include as standard.

With the money AW seems to be putting into the infrastructure at ST, I wonder why they don't do something about those unpainted wooden fences along Southern Trails Drive? If they want to attract more of the upscale buyers away from Shadowcreek Ranch, they should seriously consider replacing them with brick walls. Just my opinion. :)

With the money AW seems to be putting into the infrastructure at ST, I wonder why they don't do something about those unpainted wooden fences along Southern Trails Drive? If they want to attract more of the upscale buyers away from Shadowcreek Ranch, they should seriously consider replacing them with brick walls. Just my opinion. :)

I agree!

You kinda answered your own question. Look, im not saying brick fences all the way around wouldnt be appealing, but we are spening massive amounts of money in infrastructure (1.5 million dollar rec area, 1.7 million last count to convert that front lake). And we want to try to keep our base pricing (and lot costs) at some sort of equilibrium with the market. When you plan a community, you have focus groups and these things are brought up. Then you prioritize and commit and get going. The Water amenities, rec center, and a reasonable lot cost won out. With our product and design in the 60's coming in around 250k ish with reasonable upgrades and what this community offers is a darn good buy. again, the aesthetics of the fencing is nice, but the question i ask is "will the consumer pay $270k instead of $250k for the same home because the fence is brick on the perimeter? Some might, our opinion is most wont.

"will the consumer pay $270k instead of $250k for the same home because the fence is brick on the perimeter? Some might, our opinion is most wont.

twgreen, I appreciate your candid reply. Certainly there were alot of tough decisions you guys have to make, and you have done fine. But let's be realistic. Southern Trails is competing with that 'giant' Shadowcreek for buyers, and as you know first impressions are very important to buyers. Let me share my experience, as an example. I drove through Shadowcreek Ranch and I saw the brick walls everywhere. They are very, very appealing. Then I drove through Southern Trails and the brick-walled entrance quickly gave way to those unpainted fences. Immediately I thought 'second-class subdivision'. I turned around and went back to searching in Shadowcreek.

It wasn't until a few months later that I took a second look at Southern Trails. I dug deeper into ST and saw it was indeed superior to the phases 3 and 4 of Shadowcreek. I was very glad I did this due diligence, of course, but will the majority of buyers? Or will they be sold on Shadowcreek's eye-appealing extras?

At ST you are pricing homes in the same range (or higher) as builders in sections of Shadowcreek, so you've got to match up in all ways possible, especially in ways that leave an initial impression. I know it's tough when they obviously have more resources and $$$ available for infrastructure. However, if it comes down to sacrificing a lake or playground at ST to get brick walls (at least along the main drive), I think it would be worth it, to bring in the buyers.

Once again, just my opinion. I appreciate this dialogue with you.

twgreen, I appreciate your candid reply. Certainly there were alot of tough decisions you guys have to make, and you have done fine. But let's be realistic. Southern Trails is competing with that 'giant' Shadowcreek for buyers, and as you know first impressions are very important to buyers. Let me share my experience, as an example. I drove through Shadowcreek Ranch and I saw the brick walls everywhere. They are very, very appealing. Then I drove through Southern Trails and the brick-walled entrance quickly gave way to those unpainted fences. Immediately I thought 'second-class subdivision'. I turned around and went back to searching in Shadowcreek. It wasn't until a few months later that I took a second look at Southern Trails. I dug deeper into ST and saw it was indeed superior to the phases 3 and 4 of Shadowcreek. I was very glad I did this due diligence, of course, but will the majority of buyers? Or will they be sold on Shadowcreek's eye-appealing extras? At ST you are pricing homes in the same range (or higher) as builders in sections of Shadowcreek, so you've got to match up in all ways possible, especially in ways that leave an initial impression. I know it's tough when they obviously have more resources and $$$ available for infrastructure. However, if it comes down to sacrificing a lake or playground at ST to get brick walls (at least along the main drive), I think it would be worth it, to bring in the buyers.Once again, just my opinion. I appreciate this dialogue with you.
No, its good debate. I dont see myself as competing with SCR. And thats not knocking them. I will also produce lot cost difference if youd like for a 60' lot here and a 60'-65' there (about 25k). Look at Newmarks base pricing in Arbor Lakes (65' which ill concede 5k). They have 3300 sq ft at 266k base. I know what they paid for those lots because i worked there 10 years. At 266k base, they r losing money. Also, they had to pay for each lot up front, hence 26 builers in there. Noone can keep up with takedown so they choke on lots or dump inventory. Im sorry, just not a place i would care to live investment wise. That said, everyone has their priorities. I appreciate your hot button on the fence. Those poor builders are choking over there on lots. Again, im not knocking anyone but look at TOUSA stock price (.12/share). Going bankrupt (TOUSA, not Newmark...Someone will buy Nemark and they will be ok but their parent company is on its last beath). Look at Horton (11/share). their balance sheets are so whacked out they dont know what to do. Our balance sheet is clean, inventory supply healthy, and a company extremely liquid. Might sound a little arrogant, but SCR and the brick fences are not compettion. Not to someone that knows what they are investing in. They sell discounts, we provide lifestyle. That brick fence woud cost millions. The homeowner in me (im in silverlake and wish i ad your rec center) likes the brick fence. The homeowner in me also likes driving in s trails at night and seeing 4-5 fountains lit up with beautifully designed homes as i drive thru. I will give SCR this, there is a heck of alot of brick walls over there. Also, being zoned to Willowridge HS isnt doing much for their sales velocity either. These are all just my opinion. When Ashton Woods asked me to join the team and i saw the product and the vision (city wide), i jumped on it. And im a creature of habit. Not many spend 10 yrs with same homebuilder.
twgreen, I appreciate your candid reply. Certainly there were alot of tough decisions you guys have to make, and you have done fine. But let's be realistic. Southern Trails is competing with that 'giant' Shadowcreek for buyers, and as you know first impressions are very important to buyers. Let me share my experience, as an example. I drove through Shadowcreek Ranch and I saw the brick walls everywhere. They are very, very appealing. Then I drove through Southern Trails and the brick-walled entrance quickly gave way to those unpainted fences. Immediately I thought 'second-class subdivision'. I turned around and went back to searching in Shadowcreek. It wasn't until a few months later that I took a second look at Southern Trails. I dug deeper into ST and saw it was indeed superior to the phases 3 and 4 of Shadowcreek. I was very glad I did this due diligence, of course, but will the majority of buyers? Or will they be sold on Shadowcreek's eye-appealing extras? At ST you are pricing homes in the same range (or higher) as builders in sections of Shadowcreek, so you've got to TimOnce again, just my opinion. I appreciate this dialogue with you.
TimStop by the sales office sometime. Id enjoy meeting you and visiting some more.

Well, I certainly agree about a buyer saving money on a lot at ST. I know I did. And you are right about Newmark at Arbor Lakes in SCR; the sales agent I talked with there last summer made it clear that their lots were sold at an extra price on top of the home price. The cheapest lot Newmark had was $4K and those with a backyard bordering the lake were $30K. That was too steep for us.

I hear what you are saying about not competing with SCR, but put on your homeowners hat again and think about it. To a buyer, you ARE competing. The entrance to ST is right across 518 from an entrance to SCR. People out house-hunting (like I was) are going to see the two subdivisions side-by-side and probably take a peek at both. ST competes with SCR by default, simply due to it's close proximity.

You have to find a way to get the house-hunters out of their car and into your sales office. Then you can show them why ST is better. However, without enough eye-appealing extras of the same level as SCR, many folks will just drive on by.

Archived