Eastwood Baptist Church At 1315 Dumble St.

EastEnd Susan

Wracking my brain but can't remember where Eastwood Baptist Church was. Was it on Dumble between Telephone and Polk? Help! I can't remember. Thanks in advance.

EE Susan, hubby says you are correct, it was N of Telephone on Dumble. We don't remember if it is still standing? Or? By the way, I have a house for sale in Sunnylan[d] subdivision. See classified's for 5603 Truett. Thanks

EE Susan, hubby says you are correct, it was N of Telephone on Dumble. We don't remember if it is still standing? Or? By the way, I have a house for sale in Sunnylan[d] subdivision. See classified's for 5603 Truett. Thanks

Thanks. Its good to be right every now and then.

Thanks. Its good to be right every now and then.

Susan,

This church/school is still there (red bricks). Not sure if same name though. Just look for the tilted crucifix on top of the steeple (bent after Hurricane Alicia). Its between Jack in the Crack & the Shell station on Polk. across the street from the Eastwood house on the corner everyone was fighting over on this forum. Notice the sidewalk is still like a roller coaster on both sides. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I took my Profession of Faith there as a seven year-old during the church's last days. Now it's Eastwood Academy, and remains on 1315 Dumble. They've bought up the empty lot on Dumble for future expansion. My first time in that building in 17 years was to vote last year!

That reminded me of that strange army barrack looking bldg next door. Like what Gomer Pyle used to hang out in? The whole area was recently cleared after more than 35-40 years. Really that section of Dumble should have been wided years ago. Its just too tight for the heavy traffic flow. I often wondered what Eastwood Academy does? Seems so out of place in that area. Like a lamb in the middle of a wolf pack.

I heard Eastwood Academy is a "very good" charter school. Seems residents in area are not wanting their children to attend Austin Hi. There is a KIPPS School on Lawndale near Dismuke. Seems it, too, is charter school. Not sure @ these schools, just "hearsay".

That reminded me of that strange army barrack looking bldg next door. Like what Gomer Pyle used to hang out in? The whole area was recently cleared after more than 35-40 years. Really that section of Dumble should have been wided years ago. Its just too tight for the heavy traffic flow. I often wondered what Eastwood Academy does? Seems so out of place in that area. Like a lamb in the middle of a wolf pack.

• 1 month later...
That reminded me of that strange army barrack looking bldg next door. Like what Gomer Pyle used to hang out in?

FYI: Those old WWII style army barracks that looked like a big half pipe were called "Quonset Huts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

They were made of molded corrugated steel, and the army loved them because it was easy to ship them anywhere in pieces and they could be assembled and put into use quickly.

Edited by FilioScotia

FYI: Those old WWII style army barracks that looked like a big half pipe were called "Quonset Huts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

They were made of molded corrugated steel, and the army loved them because it was easy to ship them anywhere in pieces and they could be assembled and put into use quickly.

I wonder if Susan or any other local Eastwoodian recalls this parculiar building situated just next to the Jack In The box? in the open field next to Eastwood Babtist Church? Simply bizarre, I imagine the owner may have been an ex GI and had it assembled on site after returning from tour of duty? Even more strange would be to find out what was stored in it all these years? I am spellbound :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if Susan or any other local Eastwoodian recalls this parculiar building situated just next to the Jack In The box? in the open field next to Eastwood Babtist Church? Simply bizarre, I imagine the owner may have been an ex GI and had it assembled on site after returning from tour of duty? Even more strange would be to find out what was stored in it all these years? I am spellbound :ph34r:

Resale shop, I think?? I'll have to ask my father.

Resale shop, I think?? I'll have to ask my father.

I never recall seeing it opened as anything? Just a weed and tall grass surrounded old shack. Now I could be mistaken. Cant remember every bldg around of course. The problem with the vicinity is the TOO narrow Dumble street alongside it. That should have been widened 30 plus years ago. Same story, no one complains so city leaves as is. I avoid the area by all costs. -_-

• The title was changed to Eastwood Baptist Church At 1315 Dumble St.
  • 2 months later...

I went to kindergarten and first grade at the Eastwood Baptist Church school in  1978-1980.  My grandparents  were from the East End simce 1920. They went to church there up until 1973. Then they moved to Friendswood.  Some mornings the church would have the back gate open, the one across from Jackson Middle School. The preacher and principal was Mr. Head. He could do some damage with the paddle.

Edited by Jason Forbes