Intro To The Forum

strangelight

Hello everyone,

I found this forum because my wife and I are finally going to buy our first house. When I described what I wanted in a house I said "an older house that looks futuristic". I've been looking on HAR.com and we've gone around to see some places nearby, mostly townhomes (Bering, Westhaven, Hammersmith), to mixed results, just seeing what's out there in our price range and area. Anyway, after a little research we decided to take a tour of a bit of Houston today and it was a blast!

We live in the Galleria area (Chateaux Dijon apts, for those in the know) so we started out down Rice and went to find some mods in Bellaire South/Westbury, using the HoustonMod.org "mods available" as our guide, finishing up at 10920 Willowisp. What a house that would be to buy, but it looked pretty run down from what we could see. However, the house across the street was a work of art (10911?? Willowisp) and really made my day. From one angle you could see all the way through the house. If that house belongs to one of you, thanks for keeping it up and for making my day! Hope we weren't prying...

From there we took a little drive out I-10 to Memorial Bend. We crept around and around the neighborhood in our car just oohing and ahhing at all the modern houses/works of art. What a brilliant little neighborhood. Too bad all the trads are mixed in there! Ha ha...

Anyway, then we made our way up to Tall Oaks road to see the Wright House, but it was tough to see from the road and we didn't want to pry. The house across the street is for sale, for $2.5 Mil... Then we drove through Rivercrest just for a little flair. It's fascinating how huge those lots are there, right off Westheimer. It's fascinating how many amazingly rich Houstonians there are around, especially since we didn't even go to River Oaks today.

After that we drove around Briargrove and saw the few mods that are in there. I think that would be our location if we found the right place. Noticed one of the places mentioned (not pictured) in the Ag Guide was gone for a new house.

Thanks for the forum. I'll email everyone again when we get our house, and we'll plan on getting out to the upcoming events, esp. the house tour.

Jason Smith

Welcome to the forum.

Funnily enough I did much the same as you yesterday but also throw in the area just north of Hobby (loved the homes... very unsure of the neighborhood). I had a blast. I didnt go by the Wright home though, but I pull friends of mine over there every chance I get. Just wish it was more visible from the street.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

Funnily enough I did much the same as you yesterday but also throw in the area just north of Hobby (loved the homes... very unsure of the neighborhood). I had a blast. I didnt go by the Wright home though, but I pull friends of mine over there every chance I get. Just wish it was more visible from the street.

Cheers.

It has been pretty dormant around Hobby for the last several years, but it is really poised for a comeback. The location is too close in and the architecture too interesting, (and the prices too good) for it not to turn around. I have high end clients looking in there right now. If there were more mods available, especially north of Bellefort, I could sell them as quick as I could get them!

It was a good day to do it. Most people were inside at Super Bowl parties so traffic was not too bad. It was close to raining, but we only got a few sprinkles, so it was very nice. We'll definitely hit another area of town next weekend, between home shopping in our area...

Does anyone have a website dedicated to the various Houston architects of that era? I found the Memorial Bend site, which is what made me go over there in the first place, but that doesn't cover everyone does it?

Thanks for the info!

Jason

It has been pretty dormant around Hobby for the last several years, but it is really poised for a comeback.  The location is too close in and the architecture too interesting, (and the prices too good) for it not to turn around.  I have high end clients looking in there right now.  If there were more mods available, especially north of Bellefort,  I could sell them as quick as I could get them!

I can imagine. I might go back next weekend and spiral out a little and see whats going on around there. There were some very interesting homes in there... including one beautiful mod that reminded me of something out of "My fat greek wedding" with all the statues of olympian gods out front. I laughed, then cried.

I also went looking in Timbergrove Manor. Was the street address 9111 for the mod that popped on and off the market within a day? I liked a few homes in there but 95% of the area is pretty vanilla. I like the stuff butting up against bayou (am i stupid?).

Another home I liked was: 2 Gessner. Right on the bayou. I heard its been on the market awhile. Thats about a mile from where I work.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

Looks like rps & I will have to organize a tour of Glenbrook Valley for all you guys cruising on Sunday afternoons.

I can imagine. I might go back next weekend and spiral out a little and see whats going on around there. There were some very interesting homes in there... including one beautiful mod that reminded me of something out of "My fat greek wedding" with all the statues of olympian gods out front. I laughed, then cried.

I also went looking in Timbergrove Manor. Was the street address 9111 for the mod that popped on and off the market within a day? I liked a few homes in there but 95% of the area is pretty vanilla. I like the stuff butting up against bayou (am i stupid?).

Another home I liked was: 2 Gessner. Right on the bayou. I heard its been on the market awhile. Thats about a mile from where I work.

6234 Queenswood was the one in Timbergrove. The one at #2 Gessner is a Floyd design, one he won awards for design excellence. Last I checked it has a contract on it unless the deal fell apart in the last couple of days.

6234 Queenswood was the one in Timbergrove.  The one at #2 Gessner is a Floyd design, one he won awards for design excellence.  Last I checked it has a contract on it  unless the deal fell apart in the last couple of days.

Ah ok I saw that one on Queenswood, I think the other one I saw must have been 6111 not 9111.

I think the HAR site does have #2 Gessner with something working on it. Just not taken down yet. Interesting location, kinda shoved in there on the bayou and next to the bridge. I wonder how much traffic noise youd get there.

Your website is a big help looking around, thanks.

I actually spent all my time south of Bellfort, not knowing this part of town at all. Streets like Glenvista, Glenbrae and Glenheath off of Glenloch.

The nicest section is north of Bellefort next to the Bayou. Both sides of Broadway. On the East side check out Arletta, Stony Dell, Glen Dell, & Santa Elena, on the West, Santa Elena, Glen Forest, Deleon, Lakewind streets. Not to be missed!!

Hello everyone,

Then we drove through Rivercrest just for a little flair.  It's fascinating how huge those lots are there, right off Westheimer.  It's fascinating how many amazingly rich Houstonians there are around, especially since we didn't even go to River Oaks today.

I was in Rivercrest today as well and, wow, those lots are gigantic and some of the mansions on them are indeed jaw dropping. It does remind you of River Oaks.

You are right, there is surely no dearth of wealthy folks in this town. One can gawk at their impressive homes all the way along Memorial and San Felipe, not to mention those who live outside Houston city limit.

Archived