Cypress To Get New HEB Concept

bailey

From the Houston Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ml?surround=lfn

H-E-B is launching a first-of-its-kind grocery store concept in Cypress on Oct. 24.

H-E-B Cypress Market, located at 24224 Northwest Fwy., on the corner of U.S. 290 and Barker Cypress, is designed to combine the best of H-E-B food and drug stores with the best of Central Market in a 112,000-square-foot store that is larger than most area retailers.

H-E-B Cypress Market will feature the largest meat market and one of the largest seafood departments in the area, more than 900 different fruits and vegetables, at least 2,000 varieties of wines, a bakery and a cheese shop stocking more than 400 specialty and imported cheeses.

In addition, Central Market's Cafe on the Run will offer take-out and catering services featuring a large assortment of Central Market products including a sushi bar, a coffee roast area, a healthy living department and a tortilleria.

Cyndy Garza-Roberts, director of public affairs for H-E-B's Houston Region, said H-E-B Cypress Market incorporates years of research, planning, testing and community input and insight.

"Our future customers helped us create their ideal destination grocery store," said Garza-Roberts.

My wife and I drove by last night around 8pm and there was not a single parking space available in the HUGE parking lot. I thought this thing opened today. Does anyone know what was going on last night? I want to know what we missed out on. Also, I hope this doesn't mean this place is going to be that crowded on a regular basis. There were 4 cops directing traffic!

My wife and I drove by last night around 8pm and there was not a single parking space available in the HUGE parking lot. I thought this thing opened today. Does anyone know what was going on last night? I want to know what we missed out on. Also, I hope this doesn't mean this place is going to be that crowded on a regular basis. There were 4 cops directing traffic!

There was some type of "event" going on there last night. They were not open for business.

I went there today. They had a special event last night but today was the first day they were open. It is backwards from The Woodlands Market HEB (veggies on right/frozen, milk on left)

The differences:

Bigger store

Aisles are more spaced out

2 cooking connections

cheese deli (like meat deli)

Sushi bar is bigger

expanded area of pots, pans, etc (I don't get this stuff at grocery stores so I didn't go that way)

I drove down Cypress Rosehill and it took around 25 minutes to get to 290.

The parking lot was a madhouse. It was like trying to park at UH. There were sheriff's deputies everywhere directing traffic. It will let Cypress have a bigger selection of organics since Randall's and Walmart are the only options out there.

I personally wouldn't make the drive again. It didn't have anything that was that different from The Woodlands Market HEB. It really came off to me as just a really big HEB. I saw the head manager who came from The Woodlands Market HEB and he wanted my impressions of the store when I was done. I told him it looked really nice and I hoped that he had a good turnout!

I was there last night. They had a grand opening event that was open to the public...

Basically they had two bands and it was catered with some small samples of food and wine and some drawings.

Though the event wasn't really publicized apparently the word was out because the entire parking lot and store were completely full. There were 30 people in line for a couple of meatballs. It's amazing how long people will stand around for free stuff.

Nonetheless the store is very nice. As expected, like the Woodlands location, just bigger, with larger meat/fish/produce sections, with a torilla area, etc... Hopefully when the other HEB opens in a couple of weeks it won't be as crowded...

I drove down Cypress Rosehill and it took around 25 minutes to get to 290.

Were you coming from the Woodlands? I would recommend Telge from 2920 next time, then cut over to Barker Cypress on Jarvis. Should be much faster than going all the way to Cypress-Rosehill and then back down 290 if you ever do decide to come back.

I live west of the woodlands. After Cypress Rosehill I just went straight down Decker Prairie Rosehill road. Then Hardin Store Rd. It's a nicer drive!

eta - I had to look in on my dad's rent house in Cypress too. I know most all of the backroads. My friend lives in Stone Gate and her hubby works at HP and takes Jarvis.

I checked the place out yesterday (Saturday.)

The parking lot was a madhouse, the aisles were nearly impossible to navigate. Why do some parents feel that it OK to allow each one of their children to push a cart and not pay attention to them at all -- especially when a store is as busy as this one was? I ended up getting in a short fight with one "father" who claimed I shouldn't have been there because his kids had the right to block aisles and run around unattended while he sampled soda. The family had two shopping carts with virtually nothing in them...the cart was just being used as a toy. Geez!

Anyhoo, I noticed something that I found quite disturbing. They opened on Oct. 24, correct? Why do they have food that expired in June? I was about to purchase a can of mandarin oranges, but am thankful I checked the date. I find it odd that they have food that expired months before they opened.

I'll go back, but I'm checking the dates on every item because management obviously cannot be trusted to be sure that their products are fresh!

Checked out the new store for the first time yesterday. It was still a madhouse, but I was surprised by how quickly we got in and out, and we had a pretty hefty list. I was also impressed with how well they've kept the store stocked. The place has been a madhouse nonstop, morning to night, since Wednesday and no issues with running out of stuff.

One thing HEB is always good at: they always have a bunch of checkout aisles open when they're busy. Walmart would have had three aisles open with that type of crowd.

FYI - There was an article in the chronicle today about HEB and Vintage Park. One of the restaurants being added that I haven't seen on the website is Fish City Grill. It also mentions the hotel will be a Westin company hotel...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/spr...ws/5277678.html

I can only assume this is the same Fish City Grill: http://www.fishcitygrill.com/index.htm. Never been to any of the Houston locations before.

Also looking at the Westin website, there is a hotel called Element Vintage Park scheduled to open in Jan 2009. Looks like a new concept for Westin, and more of a long-term stay kind of hotel...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promotions/p...ementhotels_com

Matt Waller, Interfin's senior vice president of management and development, said about 100,000 square feet or 30 percent of Vintage Park is leased. He said several of those businesses will open in November, and will new tenants are expected to come on board through summer 2008.

Honestly, I'm REALLY surprised at this. I'm hoping its because they're taking the time to get it right, lining up some big-name anchors...If not, perhaps they're asking for sky-high rents or need to fire their marketing staff for sheer incompetence. It's not like this should be a tough sell. Large, booming, established, but underserved market with terrific demographics. HUNGRY for better shopping, dining and entertainment alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually disappointed with the HEB Cypress Market. I know they say the store is huge, but it feels clostrophobic to me. I really dont care for the layout. I also think the ceilings are lower than other stores, which could contribute to the clostrophobic feeling. So far, I have been unimpressed with the selection of the "normal" grocery items, but this could be a side effect of the extremely brisk business they have been doing. I also wish they had done more aesthetically pleasing landscaping in the parking lot (I know this is asking a lot).

I actually like the layout/atmosphere of the HEB in Tomball or the HEB off Red River in Austin better. I also wonder why HEB will not open a Central Market restaurant like they have in Austin in Houston. Even the Central Market in Uptown does not have this. Does anyone know why???

I am actually disappointed with the HEB Cypress Market. I know they say the store is huge, but it feels clostrophobic to me. I really dont care for the layout. I also think the ceilings are lower than other stores, which could contribute to the clostrophobic feeling. So far, I have been unimpressed with the selection of the "normal" grocery items, but this could be a side effect of the extremely brisk business they have been doing. I also wish they had done more aesthetically pleasing landscaping in the parking lot (I know this is asking a lot).

I actually like the layout/atmosphere of the HEB in Tomball or the HEB off Red River in Austin better. I also wonder why HEB will not open a Central Market restaurant like they have in Austin in Houston. Even the Central Market in Uptown does not have this. Does anyone know why???

I disagree. I think between this supermarket and the one in Cypress I probably have 2 of the 10 best supermarkets in all of Texas within 5 sq miles of my houes. Central market is overrated. Yes they might have 10-15 % larger meat or seafood sections, but overall, I don't believe I'll be back to a Central Market anytime in the near future...

Compared to the HEB it replaced at Barker Cypress @ FM 529, the new HEB is a dream.

In Reply to Jimcas....I am not actually talking about a Central Market grocery store. I was talking about an actual Central Market Restaurant where you can sit and eat with a patio or get it to go. This would be in place of just a cafe on the run. There are two of these in Austin and we always enjoyed them and think they would do well here.

I guess I should wait and reserve judgement of the new HEB until the crowds die down though, I was a bit harsh earlier.

I am also really hoping we get some good things in the HEB Cypress Market retail spaces...lord knows there is enough traffic there!

I think they used brick as well to blend in more with the other retail in the area. Looks fine to me, just wish they'd plant some Cypress trees or something in the parking lot and do a bit more landscaping.

The beer selection isn't quite as grand as Central Market's. I'd like to see them work on that a bit.

I agree with Mr. Football. I think the exterior of the building is going for hill country style with the tin roof and limestone which I can appreciate even though it doesnt really "fit in". But I really wish they had done more in the parking lot as far as planting trees goes.

I also didn't like the beer selection....I was looking for a six pack of Hoegaarden (which is available in many places) or another belgian witbier like Mannequin Pis but couldn't find any....

Archived