Wax Museum At 3009 Post Oak Blvd.

sevfiv said:
the post oak drive-in was at 2900 south post oak, which is right about where williams (transco) tower sits now. kprc was at 3014 south post oak (which would be behind the waterwall at hidalgo street).

i have been trying to add pictures and now addresses to drive-ins.com if i have em :)

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post and I am not quite sure if this goes here, but here goes:

I remember the KPRC studio and the drive in along Post Oak and in 1967 or 68 when I was little, there was a wax museum directly across Post Oak from the drive-in. Does anyone remember the name and exact address of it? I'm curious because I work in the area and figure the museum was located where either Westlake Center or The Hampton is now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

I remember the KPRC studio and the drive in along Post Oak and in 1967 or 68 when I was little, there was a wax museum directly across Post Oak from the drive-in.

Here's a link to a website that includes a 1961 aerial photo in which you can see the old Post Oak Drive-In. http://houstonfreeways.com/preview_ch5.aspx

Scroll down for the shot that shows the Southwest Freeway-West Loop interchange under construction. It also has a drawn-in dotted line showing the route of the West Loop going north through Bellaire and farther north of Westheimer.

Look closely and you'll see the Post Oak Drive-In on Post Oak, south of Westheimer.

It appears Hidalgo St now goes through what used to be the middle of the drive-in. You can see KPRC TV just south of the drive-in. That spot is now the location of that artificial lake that's now just south of Hidalgo.

Welcome to HAIF. I went ahead and set this up as a separate topic.

I didn't know that Houston ever had a wax museum!

I remember it was absolutely CREEPY! I remember figures of Clark Gable and Carol Lombadr standing next to a Dusenburg automobile as one of the features. The area was wide open space for the most part, but I remember the drive in theatre AND the KPRC station as I asked my mom if that was where Chris Chandler lived (A popular Houston TV personality of the time). I was about 4 or 5 at the time.

I remember it was absolutely CREEPY! I remember figures of Clark Gable and Carol Lombadr standing next to a Dusenburg automobile as one of the features.

I visited once. The figures looked like who they were suppose to, and a few of them, the eyes were lined up correctly, giving them a very life like appearance.

• 2 years later...

I remember it was absolutely CREEPY! I remember figures of Clark Gable and Carol Lombadr standing next to a Dusenburg automobile as one of the features. The area was wide open space for the most part, but I remember the drive in theatre AND the KPRC station as I asked my mom if that was where Chris Chandler lived (A popular Houston TV personality of the time). I was about 4 or 5 at the time.

That is about the only thing I remember about the wax museum and it's the figures of Gable and Lombard next to the vehicle but I thought they were Bonnie and Clyde, don't ask why, hahaha

• 8 years later...

3009 S. Post Oak Road was the headquarters of Coastal Transportation, and one of the owners of that firm was R.L. Attwell.  He was an avid classic car collector and he created the Classic Showcase auto and wax museum at the same address.  I see newspaper ads for it from 1968 until 1971, and there is the mention above in Texas Monthly, April 1974.

• The title was changed to Wax Museum On Post Oak Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Wax Museum At 3009 Post Oak Blvd.

Archived