HAIF Happy Hour!

musicman

NO! Check with CLAIF. :D

Not the least bit amusing.

There are east enders, Glenbrook Valley-ites, people in Sagemeadow/Kirkwood (or whatever that is called), people in Pearland, Clear Lake, Galveston, League City, Dickinson, San Leon, etc., etc., etc., Every once in a while, we should be considered.

We never are.

For that, I am unhappy.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one is stopping you from either suggesting a Clear Lake location or setting up a Clear Lake happy hour. But, as a participant in many of the previous happy hours, I don't recall you ever showing up. So, it appears that while you never make the effort to drive into Houston for a happy hour, you are unhappy that none of us has offered to drive to Clear Lake to accomodate you. I am not sure I understand why you feel we should all drive to your neighborhood when you have never bothered to drive to ours.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the reason we owe this to you.

EDIT: FWIW, I've never seen kylejack at one either, so his comment is not being adopted by me. TJones used to drive in from Katy, and we did consider doing one out there. Now, that he is in Austin, I'll consider one there.

No one is stopping you from either suggesting a Clear Lake location or setting up a Clear Lake happy hour. But, as a participant in many of the previous happy hours, I don't recall you ever showing up. So, it appears that while you never make the effort to drive into Houston for a happy hour, you are unhappy that none of us has offered to drive to Clear Lake to accomodate you. I am not sure I understand why you feel we should all drive to your neighborhood when you have never bothered to drive to ours.

EDIT: FWIW, I've never seen kylejack at one either, so his comment is not being adopted by me. TJones used to drive in from Katy, and we did consider doing one out there. Now, that he is in Austin, I'll consider one there.

Ok. you asked, I'll fess up. I have five debilitating diseases and cataracts which keep me, unfortunately, around the home front much more than I would like. I would have loved to have gone to all of the past happy hours, but can't drive there. My husband is not fond of happy hours, so I wouldn't ask him to take me. Can't afford a taxi, so here I am, having the nerve to ask for a happy hour in Clear Lake.

Honestly, I didn't mean to insult anyone. When I have posted personal information in the past, I was criticized, so I stopped. So there is no way you could have known that I was disabled and Clear Lake-bound.

I hope you all have a great happy hour. If you ever get in this area, I'll be happy to attend!

You can still make suggestions. Since none of us live there, we are at a disadvantage in picking a spot. Rather than complain that we did not consider your situation, you should take a proactive approach by submitting a location that we might enjoy visiting. After all, this is a HAPPY hour we are planning. We intend to be HAPPY when we arrive.

You can still make suggestions. Since none of us live there, we are at a disadvantage in picking a spot. Rather than complain that we did not consider your situation, you should take a proactive approach by submitting a location that we might enjoy visiting. After all, this is a HAPPY hour we are planning. We intend to be HAPPY when we arrive.

Wow.

Ok, let's make it hard for everyone. That's it, you ALL have to come to Austin now.

Not the least bit amusing.

There are east enders, Glenbrook Valley-ites, people in Sagemeadow/Kirkwood (or whatever that is called), people in Pearland, Clear Lake, Galveston, League City, Dickinson, San Leon, etc., etc., etc., Every once in a while, we should be considered.

We never are.

For that, I am unhappy.

PW - I'd be with you on this if there were an official HAIF HH-planning committee. But there isn't, and the people who've shown the initiative to plan HH's in the past have generally (if not exclusively) been from inside the loop. I know it's harder for people in other areas to make those, just as it would be harder for me to make something outside the loop. But I bet that, if someone proposed/planned a Bay Area HH, they would have the same experience we've had up here: a handful of folks would show up to hang out with people they'd never met before - mostly people from close by, and maybe one or two who'd made the trek from a little further out. I'm sure there's also a demand for Woodlands HAIF get-togethers, for Sugarland HAIF get-togethers, for family-friendly HAIF get-togethers, for hipster HAIF get-togethers, for non-alcohol-focused HAIF get-togethers, etc. And I hope that people wanting those will start proposing/organizing them. But if the few people who've planned HH's to date are expected to take all those interests into consideration, the number of HH's will go down, not up.

Just my opinion, of course...

Speaking of which: I'm not so big on the Hilton as a meeting point. Somewhere like Warren's (or Leon's or Big Star, etc.) makes more sense to me, at least for the first stop, b/c it's not as big of a commitment. If y'all choose the Hilton, though, that's cool - the people matter most to me, and that bar does have a great view.

Just my opinion, of course...

Speaking of which: I'm not so big on the Hilton as a meeting point. Somewhere like Warren's (or Leon's or Big Star, etc.) makes more sense to me, at least for the first stop, b/c it's not as big of a commitment. If y'all choose the Hilton, though, that's cool - the people matter most to me, and that bar does have a great view.

You have just been uninvited to my Big RedScare Christmas Hoedown and Hannukah Celebration.

I'm kinda new. I mean yeah, I registered last year but I didn't really read HAIF much. Anyway, I bike-commute and I sold my car a long time ago so I'm only interested in places I can get to reasonably. Clear Lake is out of the question. That, and I have a general policy of never leaving the Loop because I rarely find anything in the suburbs that redeem all the horrible qualities (nothing personal to the suburbanites).

Anyway Wyngs, you get emotional when your question is "ignored" and when you get a straight answer you find it "not the least bit amusing". You seem to be trying to be the spokesperson for a displeased demographic that doesn't exist (if they did you would have received a more positive response). You speak of East-Enders, yet I am an East-Ender.

Downtown/Rice Village/The Heights is cool. Clear Lake is dull. Clear Lake is a place to resign one's self to living, not a destination. ;)

I know I know, not the least bit amused, etc.

I'm kinda new. I mean yeah, I registered last year but I didn't really read HAIF much. Anyway, I bike-commute and I sold my car a long time ago so I'm only interested in places I can get to reasonably. Clear Lake is out of the question. That, and I have a general policy of never leaving the Loop because I rarely find anything in the suburbs that redeem all the horrible qualities (nothing personal to the suburbanites).

Anyway Wyngs, you get emotional when your question is "ignored" and when you get a straight answer you find it "not the least bit amusing". You seem to be trying to be the spokesperson for a displeased demographic that doesn't exist (if they did you would have received a more positive response). You speak of East-Enders, yet I am an East-Ender.

Downtown/Rice Village/The Heights is cool. Clear Lake is dull. Clear Lake is a place to resign one's self to living, not a destination. ;)

I know I know, not the least bit amused, etc.

That comment reminds me of my attitude living in Montrose in the 80`s/ 90`s...Heights is ok if you are ok with the Austin wannabes. The rest of the places are what I consider for people with a bit of money. I make more than the avg haifer but couldnt live in any of those areas. I live outside the loop and dont mind driving. I used to bike everywhere, but as you soon realize it controls your life, (what clothes, what do I really need at the store, etc) In my opinion Warrens was played out when power tools closed. I dont mind going for a party though..but it is a little frilly.

Not trying to be an ass, but livin inside the loop isnt anything new nor is it that different anymore.

Soooo can we meet back at the Happy Lounge next time.

That comment reminds me of my attitude living in Montrose in the 80`s/ 90`s...Heights is ok if you are ok with the Austin wannabes. The rest of the places are what I consider for people with a bit of money. I make more than the avg haifer but couldnt live in any of those areas. I live outside the loop and dont mind driving. I used to bike everywhere, but as you soon realize it controls your life, (what clothes, what do I really need at the store, etc) In my opinion Warrens was played out when power tools closed. I dont mind going for a party though..but it is a little frilly.

Not trying to be an ass, but livin inside the loop isnt anything new nor is it that different anymore.

Soooo can we meet back at the Happy Lounge next time.

I'm paying rent of 1700 for a 3 BR new construction townhouse 4 blocks from Toyota Center, soooo.

Anyway, I'm not even talking about for living, I'm talking about for going to a bar. Warren's and La Carafe are diamonds in the rough. 1820 is nice. Warren's prices on drinks are what I would call "normal", certainly not cheap, HOWEVER it is a very hefty pour and one drink is really more like 2.

So will you join us, since you're close?

Yeah, I think so.

I'll try to bring a snack of some sort. Think we're going to be about 5 in number? 10? 15?

If any first-timers are considering coming, please do. It might be a little awkward at first identifying the group (if in doubt, ask a bartender) but, once you've done that, it's smooth sailing. Everyone I've met from HAIF is friendly, and you've got many obvious conversation starters: what's your screen name, what posts of yours might I remember, what's your favorite thread, etc.

If any first-timers are considering coming, please do. It might be a little awkward at first identifying the group (if in doubt, ask a bartender)

It sucks that TJ left us for Austin. Our Mr Adonis is like a beacon of haify goodwill in the middle of a bar crowd--no identification issues there!

Archived