HAIF Happy Hour!

musicman

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've gone to Big Top before shows at the Continental, and have always enjoyed it. Oh, while I'm here, a little promotion for friends: if you're a fan of white-boy ska with a great horn section, The Suspects (local band from the 90s that was really popular) are playing at the Continental Club on Nov 21st.

Reeeally...

(RedScare strokes his chin as he ponders a night of ska,)

I must agree on Poison Girl. Have only been in the early evening, precisely because my days of elbowing through a crowd to get a drink are long over.

I've gone to Big Top before shows at the Continental, and have always enjoyed it. Oh, while I'm here, a little promotion for friends: if you're a fan of white-boy ska with a great horn section, The Suspects (local band from the 90s that was really popular) are playing at the Continental Club on Nov 21st.

Is that the band that Bob Schneider played with?? Im still voting for Big Star. Cheap lone star and they play old country on wed nights.

Oh, while I'm here, a little promotion for friends: if you're a fan of white-boy ska with a great horn section, The Suspects (local band from the 90s that was really popular) are playing at the Continental Club on Nov 21st.

Dang it, Cruch, why do you have to do these things on my Love Child nights? Can they reschedule for the 22nd?

Re Lola's - I've been a few times. Every time I've gone has been a bit of an adventure. It's that kind of a place. Worth considering.

Looked at the list to which Red linked. With our trip to Lone Star, I've now been to all of them. Most aren't what I'd call dives.

ok crunch i don't believe you've never been. can be potent drinks but somewhat limited options in # of liquors.

Believe it or not, there a still a few bars in this city I haven't been to. (3 on red's list to be exact) Of course I was also gone for 12 years......

.....ah, the old days of getting cross eyed at the Marquis II on those long island teas....

So, we need confirmation on whether Big Star Bar serves liquor. We HAIFers hit the hard stuff. lol!

Dang it, Cruch, why do you have to do these things on my Love Child nights? Can they reschedule for the 22nd?

Doh! Hey, at last year's show the guitarist brought his kid. Or is it still too early to take the love child out to bars?

Margokorin, no not Bob S's former band. The guy who started the band is one of my BF's best friends and was his roommate in college.

Red, you should go. Good band!

Is that the band that Bob Schneider played with?? Im still voting for Big Star. Cheap lone star and they play old country on wed nights.

No sir, that would be The Scabs, and they are still doing shows together. In fact bob just played up here in Austin two weeks ago.

Believe it or not, there a still a few bars in this city I haven't been to. (3 on red's list to be exact) Of course I was also gone for 12 years......

.....ah, the old days of getting cross eyed at the Marquis II on those long island teas....

So, we need confirmation on whether Big Star Bar serves liquor. We HAIFers hit the hard stuff. lol!

Always liked going to the Marquis II then somehow finding my way over to The Galant Knight. OOOOOOOOOHHHHhhhh, to be young again !!!

great to see everyone. dbig thx for the music.
Crunch, thank you for your facilitating this. And yes, thank you DJ Dbigtex.

It was good to see you again / meet you at last, all.

Good venue. It got even better when the pour measure broke. ^_^

Wow - so many HAIFers that I didn't even get to talk much to some of y'all! That's a first, at least for me. We'll just have to do it again sometime! A HAIF holiday happy hour, maybe.

Great to see those of you I already knew, and it was so nice to meet those of you I hadn't met before.

And DBig - yeah - don't know if LSS has a great jukebox or you're a jukebox master (maybe a little of both), but the music was perfect.

Thanks for your kind remarks (although I'm still cringing from my accidental foray into David Cassidy territory.) As tmariar mentioned, there were so many interesting discussions going on that I didn't have enough time to spend with every one. We have some great conversationalists (even RedScare, once you coax him out of his shell.) :D

I actually made it out there but waaaay late. Unless there were stragglers in the form of a couple of guys commiserating to the tunes of lynyrd skynyrd (or something like it), I assume all had left.

Sorry to have missed you; I assure you that Lynyrd Skynyrd was not included in my play list. When I discovered that I no longer minded whacking my head on that damn thing hanging from the ceiling (a/c ductwork?), it was time to go.

Several of us from the last happy hr are wanting to have a happy hr before Christmas. Those that i spoke with said their Saturdays were already booked in Dec so the 5th, 12th or 19th is probably better.

Were we leaning towards Big Star?

Several of us from the last happy hr are wanting to have a happy hr before Christmas. Those that i spoke with said their Saturdays were already booked in Dec so the 5th, 12th or 19th is probably better.

Were we leaning towards Big Star?

Good call on doing a Friday. I am free 12th or 19th. Open on the bar, although I do lean toward downtwon or midtown. Hopefully Meme can come on a non-love child Friday.

edit:

I just read through this thread on trying to plan for last year's Christmas HH. lol, did it ever happen? ?

It was interesting how someone was talking about a much older HH and was disappointed that people were just talking about old threads. My experience has been that forum posts come up, but the context of the conversation is much broader. It is a lot of fun meeting people in person after speculating what they might be like. This group is full of great conversationalists. Add in some very twisted senses of humor and a LOT of liquor. Good times.

This Christmas hopefully even more of you will come out to meet and greet!

Good call on doing a Friday. I am free 12th or 19th. Open on the bar, although I do lean toward downtwon or midtown. Hopefully Meme can come on a non-love child Friday.

edit:

I just read through this thread on trying to plan for last year's Christmas HH. lol, did it ever happen? ?

It was interesting how someone was talking about a much older HH and was disappointed that people were just talking about old threads. My experience has been that forum posts come up, but the context of the conversation is much broader. It is a lot of fun meeting people in person after speculating what they might be like. This group is full of great conversationalists. Add in some very twisted senses of humor and a LOT of liquor. Good times.

This Christmas hopefully even more of you will come out to meet and greet!

Wow, I completely missed this thread. It looks like they ended up at Warren's last year. I'd love to attend and my preference would be downtown or at least centrally located.

yeah i wanted to see some of the pearl harbor reenactment by the santas but after warren's got packed, we went to catbirds.

so 12th or 19th?

Oh for gods sake!

Want ME to just pick something?

I swear, getting you people together is like herding cats!

Herding cats is easy, you just have to lead them a little with the pellet gun. ;)

Galleria Area, AMERICAS, and they can even quardine off a room for us, they have the technology. I want to say the drinks were reasonably priced and they have food also. This really isn't OUR style though, is it my fellow HAIFers ? I submit for your approval, the Roll'n on San Felipe at the railroad tracks.

yeah i wanted to see some of the pearl harbor reenactment by the santas but after warren's got packed, we went to catbirds.

Yeah, but we did see the reenactment first, I remember. That was fun. I have some photos too, I think, somewhere.

As of now, I don't have a preference on date. I'm good with downtown, Montrose, Heights, midtown, etc. Roll-n wouldn't be a bad choice - I don't remember ever thinking one way or another about the drinks there (unlike Lone Star). Warren's might be fun as a tradition. Big Star would be cool b/c it's new. I do like trying new spots - and it's especially nice having a group to meet when trying out somewhere like Happy Days or Lone Star.

Regardless - if someone's organizing, and willing to get there early and get us a table, etc., I think they should get to make the final pick.

• 3 weeks later...

I think downtown is the place to be.

Rather than just talk about bums, green lights, DG and the new mall, we can get all liquored up, enjoy the decorations and holiday ambience provided by all the other people getting liguored up at Friday happy hour before Christmas, and then do some exploring after if anyone wants.

Archived