HAIF Happy Hour!

musicman

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lone star may be another option. it's divey and located at travis and st joseph's pkwy. haven't been recently.

looks like it got house press's best bar atmosphere/decor for 2008.

This venerable downtown dive is home to a bar, a pool table, a country/classic rock jukebox and not much else, and that's okay. The clientele is primarily blue-collar, the beer is cheap and very cold, the shots are stiff, and it opens early in the afternoon. What the hell else do you need to get your drink on? A Golden Tee machine? And now you can get your drink outside -- they've just added a brand-new deck.

lone star may be another option. it's divey and located at travis and st joseph's pkwy. haven't been recently.

This venerable downtown dive is home to a bar, a pool table, a country/classic rock jukebox and not much else, and that's okay. The clientele is primarily blue-collar, the beer is cheap and very cold, the shots are stiff, and it opens early in the afternoon. What the hell else do you need to get your drink on? A Golden Tee machine? And now you can get your drink outside -- they've just added a brand-new deck.

I'd be down with that.

Your friendly HAIF drunkards have decided that this Friday after work would be a grand time for another HAIFY Happy Hour. In an effort to broaden our horizons, RedScare and I were contemplating a downtown bar. He suggested GRAB, which I hear is closed now. Of course there's Warren's. I thought of Big Top (on Main next to the Continental Club). Also, Lucky's is quite the happening place these days.

Yays? Nays? Other Suggestions? Preference is for a full bar, (not a beer bar) and one with drink prices not in the stratosphere.

is Six Degrees Lounge still around?

My plans for Friday night are a little up in the air, but I will try hard to join y'all. Not being 100% sure, though, I won't get into the bar-choosing - looks like there are some good minds already devoted to the task.

So moved

I'd be down with that.

Second

All those who say 'Aye?'

Aye

Oh, wait what's a quorum here :rolleyes:

So moved

Second

All those who say 'Aye?'

Aye

Oh, wait what's a quorum here :rolleyes:

ha, I think you're right. Plus it has the musicman stamp of approval from the olden days.

But, isn't Travis and St Joseph the back side of the Metra building? I must consult the map. Never seen this place.

ha, I think you're right. Plus it has the musicman stamp of approval from the olden days.

But, isn't Travis and St Joseph the back side of the Metra building? I must consult the map. Never seen this place.

it's across travis. kinda reminds you of a trailer.

kinda reminds you of a trailer.

this is sounding better and better! Less access-road-motel-bar than the Happy Days, yet more 'urban' then The Shiloh.

Not sure about the Houston Press intel, but I do find that the best bars are the ones that have patrons drinking at 2 in the afternoon.

this is sounding better and better! Less access-road-motel-bar than the Happy Days, yet more 'urban' then The Shiloh.

Not sure about the Houston Press intel, but I do find that the best bars are the ones that have patrons drinking at 2 in the afternoon.

So maybe we need to meet there at 2 pm then?

I think it means that only customers may pee on the wall.
.....and this is where I wonder, why do I choose to drink in the company of men? :lol:

Who needs a wall? Headed to BR this weekend, brother-in-law scored suite tickets to the LSU-Bama game. Sweet!!

well, I believe it's settled. I drove by on my way home tonight. It is indeed a shed-like structure on St. Joes & Travis. It looked like it even had a small parking lot. Since I work for the govmint, I'll be ready for drinks as early as five. y'all let me know when you're coming. And G--I think it's high time you showed up again. Seriously.

20th St Dad, I can understand your anticipation of manly pissing at the LSU game, but the HAIF drinks are tomorrow . The only appropriate state to be in when driving across the river for a game is with a ripping hangover, abiding the dog that bit you, lol! :D

I think it means that only customers may pee on the wall.

Years ago, I was told that the Lone Star was a favorite hangout for off-duty cops. Any truth?

If so, can wall-peeing be defended as a political commentary protected by the First Amendment? Will you offer discounted rates for HAIF members?

.....and this is where I wonder, why do I choose to drink in the company of men? :lol:

This confirms and fortifies my choice to drink in the company of men. :lol:

Years ago, I was told that the Lone Star was a favorite hangout for off-duty cops. Any truth?

If so, can wall-peeing be defended as a political commentary protected by the First Amendment? Will you offer discounted rates for HAIF members?

Not sure if cops hang there, off duty or on duty. However, the free speech question reminds me of a Supreme Court case I read in law school. A student of politics was arrested for peeing in the snow. He claimed that since he was actually writing with his pee, it was protected speech. So, my considered legal opinion is that as long as you are writing something, you are protected.

Archived