HAIF Happy Hour!

musicman

Haha!

I don't know if I'll make it, but if I did my vote would be for downtown as well. I've never had to pay to park (except once during the day by the courthouse and only because I was in a hurry). Now I just ride the metro rail anyways. There are a lot of places downtown with more "architectural" value than uptown - at least I think so. Why are people so afraid of downtown? People are always nervous about going downtown for some reason.

I'm not sure the surrounding architecture will be the focus during a happy hour.

I'm not afraid of downtown at all. It is just tough to get around, hard to find parking, and overpriced in pretty much every since.

The reason I suggested Richmond Arms is because of its relative easy to get to (in spite of the traffic situation), all age friendly jukebox, huge beer selection and overall atmosphere. That and I might be able to score us discounts or something.

I suppose we should all quit complaining about what we don't like and try to start finding some common ground.

We could always do a Happy Hour at a place like Numbers. </sarcasm>

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could always do a Happy Hour at a place like Numbers. </sarcasm>
i'd be game for that

Cool. You can go there. Last time I was there (at the age of 25), I felt like I was a child molester with all those kids walking around.

I'd have to get my TB, Tetnis, Meningitis, Diphtheria and Flu vaccinations as well as wrap myself in a full body safe suit before I enter that place again.

How the city lets it stay open is beyond me.

seen some great concerts there.. we should do lola's.

It's Numbers, not NASCAR.

ROFLMAO

zimm's, prive, mo mong all have one or more semi private areas. the houston chapter of yelp recently enjoyed the ginger man in the village quite a bit. if you call ahead, they'll save an area for you. the same goes for the first three i mentioned.

i won't touch ricco's sentiment about numbers. LOL

Near downtown without paying for parking....any number of places along Washington Avenue would work.

Consider the Corkscrew at 1919 Washington if you like wine. They really know their stuff. They also carry a number of bottled beers, and they have a number of cheese and meat plates available if you aren't looking for full meal.

Dharma Cafe recently opened a larger outlet than their downtown location, which is on Houston Avenue above Washington Avenue, but before you reach the I-10 overpass, and they have a full bar and great food. They are directly across from the old Hynes Bakery building.

Both places have free ample parking nearby, and both places are near downtown, but without the traffic headaches of the Galleria area. Both are located in great old buildings with lots of character and atmosphere.

The whole Galleria area is a traffic nightmare.. especially at happy hour, especially on fridays.

I live there and deal with it every day.. IT sucks.

There are other places that dont have downtown parking isues or uptown traffic nightmares.

How bout the Village Area...

How bout something off Washington.

How bout The Tavern or Sherlocks West Gray..something in the middle.

I'm putting forth my "Nay" to Richmond arms or anything else that involves galleria traffic.

if you think the traffic and parking is bad in the downtown and galleria area, I wouldn't recommend the village. Especially with the construction in Kirby. Trust me, I live out there.

if you think the traffic and parking is bad in the downtown and galleria area, I wouldn't recommend the village. Esspecially with the construction in Kirby. Trust me, I live out there.

I dont think downtown has parking issues... I certainy don't mind paying a few bucks at a meter.

i was noting that someone else had mentioned that.

Yes, parking can be iffy in the village, but there's always somewhere to park eventually.

How about the FOX sportsbar in the Galleria ?

I could walk there.

However.. i think that is way too mundane and generic a choice for the majority of haifers..... It has no flavor !

And it still puts everyone on the nightmare that is westheimer during rush hour.

I wasn't really a fan of the old Sherlocks, but the new and improved location is pretty good. It's nicer with a little better crowd and it is really big and they have pretty good food and happy hour specials.

West Gray is accessible and right between downtown and the Galleria.

Just a thought. I probably can't even go.

Have you guys picked a date yet?

Wow. Hadn't checked this thread in a while, but it seems to have gone the way of every other HAIF meet-up discussion.

No choice will make everyone happy. To some, midnight Jager shots at Poison Girl will not only not sound fun, it will sound like something they affirmatively do not want to do. Substitute "early evening glass of vino at the wine bar" or "light lunch at the neighborhood cafe" - again, some will affirmatively not want to do it, no matter how inoffensive it may sound to you.

If someone is gracious enough to "host" a happy hour (i.e. propose it, and promise to show up at the start time, give the heads-up to the bartender, and hold a table), I think that person should be able to choose the location/time he or she likes best for that event. (And Musicman likes downtown - esp. the Market Square bars.)

If someone else wants to host another get-together in a different neighborhood, at a different kind of place, on a different day, or whatever, that's great - there have been a lot of good suggestions - we're a diverse group with diverse interests, so that makes sense. I'm certain Musicman would not take it as an affront. More get-togethers is a good thing. (And, if someone wants to host an event at a "consensus" location in the future, I'd suggest using a poll.)

Hope I didn't offend anyone, and that you'll all come to my Montrose happy hour whenever I finally propose it!

Edit: M - Were you proposing Warren's on 12/7 or did I just imagine that? Oh, I see - 12/7 is in the title. And I probably thought the Warren's part was implied...

I wasn't really a fan of the old Sherlocks, but the new and improved location is pretty good. It's nicer with a little better crowd and it is really big and they have pretty good food and happy hour specials.

West Gray is accessible and right between downtown and the Galleria.

Just a thought. I probably can't even go.

Have you guys picked a date yet?

What's really funny is by the time Dec 7 gets here, everyone will be fighting again! Ha! :lol:

Pearl Harbor day!

Edit: M - Were you proposing Warren's on 12/7 or did I just imagine that? Oh, I see - 12/7 is in the title. And I probably thought the Warren's part was implied...

12/7 yeah, not necessarily warren's but they'd accomodate.....mkt square bar and grill has a nice patio.

Wow. Hadn't checked this thread in a while, but it seems to have gone the way of every other HAIF meet-up discussion.

No choice will make everyone happy. To some, midnight Jager shots at Poison Girl will not only not sound fun, it will sound like something they affirmatively do not want to do. Substitute "early evening glass of vino at the wine bar" or "light lunch at the neighborhood cafe" - again, some will affirmatively not want to do it, no matter how inoffensive it may sound to you.

If someone is gracious enough to "host" a happy hour (i.e. propose it, and promise to show up at the start time, give the heads-up to the bartender, and hold a table), I think that person should be able to choose the location/time he or she likes best for that event. (And Musicman likes downtown - esp. the Market Square bars.)

If someone else wants to host another get-together in a different neighborhood, at a different kind of place, on a different day, or whatever, that's great - there have been a lot of good suggestions - we're a diverse group with diverse interests, so that makes sense. I'm certain Musicman would not take it as an affront. More get-togethers is a good thing. (And, if someone wants to host an event at a "consensus" location in the future, I'd suggest using a poll.)

Hope I didn't offend anyone, and that you'll all come to my Montrose happy hour whenever I finally propose it!

ditto

Musicman..mkt square is terrible during happy hr....parking is a b!tch. The Volcano has a awesome tiki bar that has huge tables (but most stand) and it would be very easy for someone to just leave if they werent having a good time. What the bar behind Nit Noi in the village that kinda has mod decor? That would be great as well...I really dont think its hard to pick people out that are on the HAIF..one picked me out at the store, and the ones I have met just look like I imagined someone on the HAIf would look.

i'll think about it....i rarely go ot the village anymore because of the parking situation. last 2 times i went, someone asked me to go with her because she wouldn't be able to find a parking space. and voila, we couldn't. downtown is a piece of cake compared to the village. the only place i go in the village is benjy's because they have their own lot.

i gave up on the volcano yrs ago because of the bad drinks. i'll go check it out again though with a friend who lives arond the corner

just keep the date open...i'm thinking after 6 at the earliest.

Pace yourself. Don't want you to take a stand AND write a post with more than a single sentence at the same time. Your head might explode, or some of us might just die out of sheer surprise and lose some bets.

talkin to the doorman again?

Benjis is what I was thinking...if everyone else is like me, I need a place that I could just leave without feeling weird. A sitdown dinner or lunch is such a commitment. How can you go wrong at Volcano with the frozen scredrivers?

I could walk there.

However.. i think that is way too mundane and generic a choice for the majority of haifers..... It has no flavor !

And it still puts everyone on the nightmare that is westheimer during rush hour.

Fine.....Then we'll all just meet at Treasure's, it is a little further from the Galleria, just a little !

How bout the MArqui..Village area without the Village parking issues.Never a crowd.And each of you get one of their big arse long island iced teas in ya... y'all will probably come up with a Haify Anthem by the time ya leave.
The Village sux. How about some place further our Westheimer (maybe in Carillion or somewhere)? I've been dying to try out Yao's.Or how about LaStrada's on a Sunday. That would be cool!

Lol, and how does your imagination see someone on HAIF?

And who the hell is talking about meeting at La Strada? Why would anyone want to do that? I can't imagine anything weirder.

Musicman..mkt square is terrible during happy hr....parking is a b!tch. The Volcano has a awesome tiki bar that has huge tables (but most stand) and it would be very easy for someone to just leave if they werent having a good time. What the bar behind Nit Noi in the village that kinda has mod decor? That would be great as well...I really dont think its hard to pick people out that are on the HAIF..one picked me out at the store, and the ones I have met just look like I imagined someone on the HAIf would look.

Archived