Sign in to follow this  
musicman

HAIF Happy Hour!

I'm game, as long as I'm in town that evening. Friday nights are often good for me, provided I'm not off to Atlanta for the weekend.

I'd object to downtown. It is a pain to get to and from.

The galleria/uptown area I think would be more fitting. It is far easier than downtown with a better selection of decent places.

I'd object to downtown. It is a pain to get to and from.

The galleria/uptown area I think would be more fitting. It is far easier than downtown with a better selection of decent places.

i'm there to see the people myself....

i'm there to see the people myself....

I understand that. I'm just saying that downtown is a logistical nightmare compared to just parking in front of a place in the Galleria area or Uptown. I'd likely not attend if it is downtown.

^what would Galleria-area suggestions be? (i rarely go anywhere there).

my first vote would be a downtown location, though - i guess i am just used to street parking (or public transport if possible).

^what would Galleria-area suggestions be? (i rarely go anywhere there).

my first vote would be a downtown location, though - i guess i am just used to street parking (or public transport if possible).

Depends on what kind of place people are hoping for.

Los Cucos has a nice bar/lounge area.

Pappa's Steakhouse has a really nice bar/lounge.

There is Sullivan's, Grand Luxe Cafe, Fox Sports Bar, Champp's, Smith & Wollensky, Ra Sushi.

All are nice and have nice bar areas.

If you want a regular bar there is always the Hideaway on Dunvale, Vito's Deckhouse on Bering (both right off Richmond), the Richmond Arms (great pub with a ton of beer selections).

If a bar was your ultimate choice, I'd say Hideaway or Richmond Arms.

Oh for gods sake!

Want ME to just pick something?

I swear, getting you people together is like herding cats!

Oh for gods sake!

Want ME to just pick something?

I swear, getting you people together is like herding cats!

:lol: Where's Morris?

pappas steakhouse? i'd go broke. grand luxe sux. i guess i don't drive past the west loop frequently.

I didn't suggest you buy a T-Bone. Chilling in the lounge is fine. The drinks are the same prices at anywhere decent. They might not have happy hour specials though.

I say we make it Richmond Arms. I am friends with the manager and could possibly get us some specials if we get a decent turn out.

I agree with the steakhouse. You can always just drink water if you want.

I don't care where it is. Just pick a spot.

There's always the Kelvin Arms, Shanghai River, The Flying Saucer, Slantie, The Skyline bar (Hilton Americas), etc...

everyone is not going to agree on a spot, a time, or a date.

I really don't want it to be downtown. I have a hard time paying for parking in Houston. If I wanted to pay for parking, I'd have never left NYC.

I nominate Richmond Arms (Richmond and Fountainview).

All in favor, say Aye."

I really don't want it to be downtown. I have a hard time paying for parking in Houston. If I wanted to pay for parking, I'd have never left NYC.

I nominate Richmond Arms (Richmond and Fountainview).

All in favor, say Aye."

it's free after 6pm, so that excuse is out of the water. Richmond Arms is great, but it's a pain to get to considering the traffic on Richmond.

ricco had a good idea idea last time, of some place where you can play games like pin balls and junk.

Near or in Midtown?

A place where you could eat and "cling, cling" works good too. Not everyone boozes (I think) :ph34r::lol:

it's free after 6pm, so that excuse is out of the water. Richmond Arms is great, but it's a pain to get to considering the traffic on Richmond.

Traffic on Richmond? It is virtually non-existent. And certainly far less than trying to get in to downtown at happy hour.

And street parking might be free after six, if you can find it. Lot parking costs.

Traffic on Richmond? It is virtually non-existent. And certainly far less than trying to get in to downtown at happy hour.

And street parking might be free after six, if you can find it. Lot parking costs.

The whole Galleria area is a traffic nightmare.. especially at happy hour, especially on fridays.

I live there and deal with it every day.. IT sucks.

There are other places that dont have downtown parking isues or uptown traffic nightmares.

How bout the Village Area...

How bout something off Washington.

How bout The Tavern or Sherlocks West Gray..something in the middle.

I'm putting forth my "Nay" to Richmond arms or anything else that involves galleria traffic.

ricco had a good idea idea last time, of some place where you can play games like pin balls and junk.

Near or in Midtown?

A place where you could eat and "cling, cling" works good too. Not everyone boozes (I think) :ph34r::lol:

Then I recommend 3 different places and we'll. argue it for a week and then pick one.

Kelvin Arms: Drinking joint in the Village.

The Flying Saucer, drinking joint with games and foods on Capital @ Main.

Shanghai River, Eating establishment with a decent bar and a quiet environment.

Happy Hour (6-7pm) + Richmond + Friday = Shoot me in the head.

I drive this area quite a bit, while I agree during parts of the day it flows quite smoothly, at this particular hour it's a nightmare.

Then I recommend 3 different places and we'll. argue it for a week and then pick one.

Kelvin Arms: Drinking joint in the Village.

The Flying Saucer, drinking joint with games and foods on Capital @ Main.

Shanghai River, Eating establishment with a decent bar and a quiet environment.

We should keep Richmond Arms on the table at this point to be fair.. and keep it included for debate.

I would also like Sherlocks West Gray on the list.

Keep Sherlocks on the list? Didn't realize it was even on the table.

The only reason why I'm picking what I'm picking is because we can be relatively isolated.

Either that or we'll walk around saying, "HAIF! HAIF! HAIF" to see where the others are.

I have a pretty strong aversion to all locations of Sherlock's because of how ridiculously packed it gets. Not to mention loud.

NickS is doing stuff with Live downtown.

The traffic in the village isn't any better than Richmond. Face it, anywhere people want to be at 5-7pm on a Friday isn't going to be completely traffic free.

If we are including the Village, Under the Volcano should be considered I think.

If the Flying Saucer is in the Village and it has Aventinus, I could tolerate that as a second choice.

Edited by gwilson

Let's just all pitch in and buy a bottle and share it under a tree by Greyhound Bus Lines?

Can't beat em join em!

Houston Proud! :blush:

Haha!

I don't know if I'll make it, but if I did my vote would be for downtown as well. I've never had to pay to park (except once during the day by the courthouse and only because I was in a hurry). Now I just ride the metro rail anyways. There are a lot of places downtown with more "architectural" value than uptown - at least I think so. Why are people so afraid of downtown? People are always nervous about going downtown for some reason.

Haha!

I don't know if I'll make it, but if I did my vote would be for downtown as well. I've never had to pay to park (except once during the day by the courthouse and only because I was in a hurry). Now I just ride the metro rail anyways. There are a lot of places downtown with more "architectural" value than uptown - at least I think so. Why are people so afraid of downtown? People are always nervous about going downtown for some reason.

I'm not sure the surrounding architecture will be the focus during a happy hour.

I'm not afraid of downtown at all. It is just tough to get around, hard to find parking, and overpriced in pretty much every since.

The reason I suggested Richmond Arms is because of its relative easy to get to (in spite of the traffic situation), all age friendly jukebox, huge beer selection and overall atmosphere. That and I might be able to score us discounts or something.

I suppose we should all quit complaining about what we don't like and try to start finding some common ground.

We could always do a Happy Hour at a place like Numbers. </sarcasm>

i'd be game for that

I'd have to get my TB, Tetnis, Meningitis, Diphtheria and Flu vaccinations as well as wrap myself in a full body safe suit before I enter that place again.

How the city lets it stay open is beyond me.

We could always do a Happy Hour at a place like Numbers. </sarcasm>
i'd be game for that

Cool. You can go there. Last time I was there (at the age of 25), I felt like I was a child molester with all those kids walking around.

I'd have to get my TB, Tetnis, Meningitis, Diphtheria and Flu vaccinations as well as wrap myself in a full body safe suit before I enter that place again.

seen some great concerts there.. we should do lola's.

It's Numbers, not NASCAR.

It's Numbers, not NASCAR.

ROFLMAO

zimm's, prive, mo mong all have one or more semi private areas. the houston chapter of yelp recently enjoyed the ginger man in the village quite a bit. if you call ahead, they'll save an area for you. the same goes for the first three i mentioned.

i won't touch ricco's sentiment about numbers. LOL

If you want, I can call up Shanghai River and they can have an exclusive spot or they can seal off the bar for us.

It's quiet and out of the way and the owner LOVES me.

Near downtown without paying for parking....any number of places along Washington Avenue would work.

Consider the Corkscrew at 1919 Washington if you like wine. They really know their stuff. They also carry a number of bottled beers, and they have a number of cheese and meat plates available if you aren't looking for full meal.

Dharma Cafe recently opened a larger outlet than their downtown location, which is on Houston Avenue above Washington Avenue, but before you reach the I-10 overpass, and they have a full bar and great food. They are directly across from the old Hynes Bakery building.

Both places have free ample parking nearby, and both places are near downtown, but without the traffic headaches of the Galleria area. Both are located in great old buildings with lots of character and atmosphere.

The whole Galleria area is a traffic nightmare.. especially at happy hour, especially on fridays.

I live there and deal with it every day.. IT sucks.

There are other places that dont have downtown parking isues or uptown traffic nightmares.

How bout the Village Area...

How bout something off Washington.

How bout The Tavern or Sherlocks West Gray..something in the middle.

I'm putting forth my "Nay" to Richmond arms or anything else that involves galleria traffic.

if you think the traffic and parking is bad in the downtown and galleria area, I wouldn't recommend the village. Especially with the construction in Kirby. Trust me, I live out there.

Edited by holden

if you think the traffic and parking is bad in the downtown and galleria area, I wouldn't recommend the village. Esspecially with the construction in Kirby. Trust me, I live out there.

I dont think downtown has parking issues... I certainy don't mind paying a few bucks at a meter.

i was noting that someone else had mentioned that.

Yes, parking can be iffy in the village, but there's always somewhere to park eventually.

How about the FOX sportsbar in the Galleria ?

I could walk there.

However.. i think that is way too mundane and generic a choice for the majority of haifers..... It has no flavor !

And it still puts everyone on the nightmare that is westheimer during rush hour.

Edited by Highway6

If wine is what you want, my cousin is a party coordinator for Salud! (recently featured on ABC13 news). I'm sure I could get us a pretty decent deal there.

I wasn't really a fan of the old Sherlocks, but the new and improved location is pretty good. It's nicer with a little better crowd and it is really big and they have pretty good food and happy hour specials.

West Gray is accessible and right between downtown and the Galleria.

Just a thought. I probably can't even go.

Have you guys picked a date yet?

Wow. Hadn't checked this thread in a while, but it seems to have gone the way of every other HAIF meet-up discussion.

No choice will make everyone happy. To some, midnight Jager shots at Poison Girl will not only not sound fun, it will sound like something they affirmatively do not want to do. Substitute "early evening glass of vino at the wine bar" or "light lunch at the neighborhood cafe" - again, some will affirmatively not want to do it, no matter how inoffensive it may sound to you.

If someone is gracious enough to "host" a happy hour (i.e. propose it, and promise to show up at the start time, give the heads-up to the bartender, and hold a table), I think that person should be able to choose the location/time he or she likes best for that event. (And Musicman likes downtown - esp. the Market Square bars.)

If someone else wants to host another get-together in a different neighborhood, at a different kind of place, on a different day, or whatever, that's great - there have been a lot of good suggestions - we're a diverse group with diverse interests, so that makes sense. I'm certain Musicman would not take it as an affront. More get-togethers is a good thing. (And, if someone wants to host an event at a "consensus" location in the future, I'd suggest using a poll.)

Hope I didn't offend anyone, and that you'll all come to my Montrose happy hour whenever I finally propose it!

Edit: M - Were you proposing Warren's on 12/7 or did I just imagine that? Oh, I see - 12/7 is in the title. And I probably thought the Warren's part was implied...

Edited by tmariar

I wasn't really a fan of the old Sherlocks, but the new and improved location is pretty good. It's nicer with a little better crowd and it is really big and they have pretty good food and happy hour specials.

West Gray is accessible and right between downtown and the Galleria.

Just a thought. I probably can't even go.

Have you guys picked a date yet?

What's really funny is by the time Dec 7 gets here, everyone will be fighting again! Ha! :lol:

Pearl Harbor day!

Edit: M - Were you proposing Warren's on 12/7 or did I just imagine that? Oh, I see - 12/7 is in the title. And I probably thought the Warren's part was implied...

12/7 yeah, not necessarily warren's but they'd accomodate.....mkt square bar and grill has a nice patio.

Wow. Hadn't checked this thread in a while, but it seems to have gone the way of every other HAIF meet-up discussion.

No choice will make everyone happy. To some, midnight Jager shots at Poison Girl will not only not sound fun, it will sound like something they affirmatively do not want to do. Substitute "early evening glass of vino at the wine bar" or "light lunch at the neighborhood cafe" - again, some will affirmatively not want to do it, no matter how inoffensive it may sound to you.

If someone is gracious enough to "host" a happy hour (i.e. propose it, and promise to show up at the start time, give the heads-up to the bartender, and hold a table), I think that person should be able to choose the location/time he or she likes best for that event. (And Musicman likes downtown - esp. the Market Square bars.)

If someone else wants to host another get-together in a different neighborhood, at a different kind of place, on a different day, or whatever, that's great - there have been a lot of good suggestions - we're a diverse group with diverse interests, so that makes sense. I'm certain Musicman would not take it as an affront. More get-togethers is a good thing. (And, if someone wants to host an event at a "consensus" location in the future, I'd suggest using a poll.)

Hope I didn't offend anyone, and that you'll all come to my Montrose happy hour whenever I finally propose it!

ditto