Pennington Buick Company At 1309 Tremont St.

rreini

When I was down in Galveston recently pedaling along the seawall and through town, I passed by what used to be an old Buick dealership at Avenue M and 23rd Street (Tremont). It's now a T-shirt store, and it's across the street from O'Connell High School. The old Buick name and logo are still quite visible on the building.

Does anybody know what dealership used to be there?

When I was down in Galveston recently pedaling along the seawall and through town, I passed by what used to be an old Buick dealership at Avenue M and 23rd Street (Tremont). It's now a T-shirt store, and it's across the street from O'Connell High School. The old Buick name and logo are still quite visible on the building.

pennington1.jpg

Pennington Buick...here is a link to its listing on the endangered deco site:

http://www.houstondeco.org/1950s/pennington.html

When I was in high school (O'Connell) in the late 1960's the Buick logo was covered up and it was Bill Brown Chevrolet. If I would not have sat in the window and fantasized over every new Malibu SS396, Rally Sport Camaro, or big block Corvette that drove in and out of that place I would have learned so much more. Besides the deep fried biscuits at Sheps Little Chicken Shack (across from the dealership, now "El Patio") watching those cars was my favorite part of high school.

It is a wonderful building. I hope it can be rescued and turned into something wonderful someday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I pass by the old Buick dealership almost every weekday, theres two garages, located on both sides of the building that face the street (one on Tremont, and the other on M); both are still in use. I don't know if the T-Shirt store is still open though, I don't pay attention.

• 11 years later...
  • The title was changed to Pennington Buick Company At 1309 Tremont St.

Archived