Color choices for resale

We are soon to be painting the exterior of the house (standard 1939 2 story) for resale..currently the house is yellow with bright white trim. I picked the colors from a sherwinn williams card that had them grouped together...the big question is should I use a off white color? I have NEVER seen another house with bright white trim. I think it looks great, but I dont seem to have the same taste of the majority. Oh ya...I also had bright white trim in interior and softened it up and it looks ALOT nicer.

We are soon to be painting the exterior of the house (standard 1939 2 story) for resale..currently the house is yellow with bright white trim. I picked the colors from a sherwinn williams card that had them grouped together...the big question is should I use a off white color? I have NEVER seen another house with bright white trim. I think it looks great, but I dont seem to have the same taste of the majority. Oh ya...I also had bright white trim in interior and softened it up and it looks ALOT nicer.

Each to his/her own taste, but frankly, the yellow would scare me off if I were a potential buyer. "Standard" houses of the period often had colonial, prairie, craftsman or art moderne influences. Sensitivity to the architecture of the house when choosing paint colors would make a big difference in its curb appeal.

I personally think yellow for a house is terrific. I recall reading some realtor survey that said yellow houses sell faster (found it: http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Color-Psyc...me&id=4263).

With that said, I always go with a more muted color on the outside. My experience has been that a great looking color on a paint ship will be too bright on the outside. If you think about how much sun your house will see, even what might appear to be a soft color will intensify during the day. As opposed to the interior, which sees less light, and where you can get away with a brighter color. I used Sherwin-Williams Peace Yellow on my prior home and it turned out quite nice.

As for the trim, I would go with a creamy white, not a bright white. A creamy white is more natural and will brighten up outside. A bright white will just be too much, and will create a rather stark contrast to the yellow, intensifying it. I used a standard white and then mixed in some of the Peace Yellow to 'tint' it.

Don't forget to buy a quart and test on a section of house. Live with it for a few days before making a decision.

My two cents.

There is a new construction house on Nicholson, between 9th and 10th with bright white trim. It is definitely too white.

Archived