Bob Casey United States Courthouse At 515 Rusk Ave.

SpaceCity

Well, if someone had any smarts, that was almost done several years ago.

McVeigh (May the Devil give him metal spiked suppositories dipped in lemon juice and inserts them with great vigor) took out the wrong Government building. He intention was to blow up the building that planned the Waco assaults, but he was too much of an idiot to know that Oklahoma probably wouldn't have been the place it was planned.

Personally I'm indifferent about the building, but it's functional and simple in its design and there is a certain elegence to it.

Ricco

I used to think this was a really ugly building, but it's grown on me. Now I think it is just a somewhat ugly building. Apparently well-built, though. During tropical storm Allison it didn't flood even though everything around it did. The building is sometimes said to have inspired Michael Graves' Portland Building:

portland.jpg

Ah, I see. That goes against the information that was given to me by people that interviewed that mental defect (May whatever devil shove something sharp and uncomfortable in every oriface).

But as far as I know, my information was good, but he DID put out alot of information, so it's possible I might have missed something.

Ricco

Ah, I see. That goes against the information that was given to me by people that interviewed that mental defect (May whatever devil shove something sharp and uncomfortable in every oriface). 

But as far as I know, my information was good, but he DID put out alot of information, so it's possible I might have missed something.

Ricco

The "Turner Diaries" is about 2 people over throwing the goverment, blowing up buildings, destroying cities, to begin earth as a pure... (White race). Yes the book is racist, and so was Tim, am I? no... I just know about it.

check this out!!

link to old story in the Chronicle Federal building stays dry amid soggy downtown

if you can't access the story, here's the best parts...

One reason it remained dry is that the building isn't connected to anything. It is "self-contained," as one court security guard put it.

For security purposes, it has no access to downtown's tunnel system and it is not connected to any underground garages.

Another reason the courthouse wasn't damaged is that it is built like a fortress. When it was constructed in 1961, at the height of the Cold War, the basement was intended to be a bomb shelter, said David Bradley, chief deputy clerk of the courthouse.

At one time, bottled water and canned food were stored in the basement.

The walls are so dense that cell phones often will not work inside the building.

The building is constructed of reinforced concrete with a limestone facade.

"This building is definitely a strong structure," Bradley said.

"I think back to Hurricane Alicia in 1983. The only damage to this building was a cracked window on the seventh floor. I can't remember any major catastrophe that we've had that has affected the building."

The courthouse, where 600 federal employees work, has 12 floors and a basement. It has square windows that look like hatches and are described by Bradley and others as "ugly."

The building houses the offices and courtrooms of 10 federal district judges and five federal magistrate judges. It also houses the offices and courtrooms of five bankruptcy judges.

Federal prosecutors do not have offices in the building.

It also has two clerks' offices, where attorneys file civil and criminal pleadings.

• 2 months later...
I used to think this was a really ugly building, but it's grown on me.  Now I think it is just a somewhat ugly building.  Apparently well-built, though.  During tropical storm Allison it didn't flood even though everything around it did.  The building is sometimes said to have inspired Michael Graves' Portland Building:

portland.jpg

Looks like his Portland building inspired his toasters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, if someone had any smarts, that was almost done several years ago.

McVeigh (May the Devil give him metal spiked suppositories dipped in lemon juice and inserts them with great vigor) took out the wrong Government building.  He intention was to blow up the building that planned the Waco assaults, but he was too much of an idiot to know that Oklahoma probably wouldn't have been the place it was planned.

Personally I'm indifferent about the building, but it's functional and simple in its design and there is a certain elegence to it.

Ricco

I have to agree to a certain extent. It may be functional and simple, and even visually appealing in a way. On the whole, it's pretty boring though...

As for the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City, it looked to be the least "Federal" looking of any of the Federal buildings out there. It had a decent sized plaza, tons of windows, and seemed more accessible than others. The transformation into the memorial grounds is remarkable though, and the plaza still looks well preserved.

It's good to see that it's replacement is still different. It's sheathed in glass, still has a plaza, and from the few looks I've had at it- it seems to look similar to the bank being built along Allen Parkway, at the very least with the colors of building materials if not in design.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I tend to disagree with the general disparagement of this building.

I do agree that it is not exactly beautiful, but I think it is unique and interesting.

Has anyone seen a similar building (square with small square extracted windows) anywhere else in the country?

The Bob Casey Courthouse is one ugly structure. I cannot stand that place. It doesn't really inspire a sense of justice in me.

Yup, been there many times (I used to be a courier, lots of attorney clients). Built like a brick outhouse and looks like one too. Our Nextel two-ways never worked once we entered its bowels (and, from what I heard, our alpha pagers sometimes/often didn't either).

All this time has passed, all these replies, and I didn't see the one that immediately popped into my mind when I read the first sentence above...

It's a courthouse, right? Of course it's ugly, justice is blind :P

The building houses bankruptcy courts, it represents a last visual vestige of debtor's prison :huh:

I have a friend who's a civil engineer from the MidWest, who now lives in Austin. Last year I showed around downtown Houston for the first time, and without seeing any signs, and before I could point them out myself, he told me which buildings were the federal courthouse, and what building was the post office. He said he can always find the federal buildings.

He also said that an engineer will design a building that will last forever, but everyone will want for it to be torn down, while an architect will design a building that people will want to last forever, but it will fall down. His words, not mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danax
it looks like a jail ... God help the people that have to work there.

The style is typical of 45 years ago. Bland. The Modernist cycle had run it's course and I suppose minimalism seemed modern in 1961.

Unfortunately, to most people the style of that era will always seem just plain ugly and, for that reason, most remaining examples, like the Central Bank building in Midtown, are likely to get demolished at some point.

So I figure this one too will eventually get tumbled. Besides, the feng shui is all wrong anyway.

Hmm..the thing about this building is..if it would be given a bit of a makeover, it would not look bad at all. Take a look at Berlin, for Example..there are several modern day structures there consisting of the same basic formula- protruding box windows, and a box shape. Of course, those have better facade materials, and such...and more details, such as awnings, etc, but, if such fixes were done to this building, it would be pretty cool.