Houston Chronicle Building At 801 Texas Ave.

MidtownCoog

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooops. It's spelled B-a-r-n-a-c-l-e!

It looks like they tried to bolt on the tiles on one side.

I akesd Ken Hoffman via email, but I guess his editor does not let him answer real questions.

I figured he's have some kinda of cutesy answer for me. Me Mo said they are laying gold leaf on the building.

Remember the hostage crisis of the late 70's? Every night on the news they'd report "Day number x....America held hostage."

Maybe our friends at the Houston Press could start a similar running tally of the number of days the Chron has held the Texas Avenue sidewalk hostage. City Hall sure as hell doesn't seem very interested.

Maybe our friends at the Houston Press could start a similar running tally of the number of days the Chron has held the Texas Avenue sidewalk hostage. City Hall sure as hell doesn't seem very interested.

Excellent idea! I think I'll contact them.

No wonder Ken Hoffman never got back with me.

Is this used to hold the building together?

If that's all that is holding it together its time to disassemble the scaffolding.

Edit: i got a subscription what am i talking about. :wacko:

It'd be fine if they were at least working on it.

I've drove by it twice a day for two years (in on Milam, out on Travis) and NEVER see any sign of work in progress.

It wss just put up to make it look like "progress" when the superbowl was intown... Kidna like the parking garage that is going up on main, they put a fence on the empty lot to cover it up... and the Shamrock trailer too... its all a cover up!!

Have you all noticed that newspapers are a fledgling business. Since the internet, subscriptions have dropped for all major newspapers. About the only thing they put in there are sales papers and more sales papers. But .... I couldn't imagine not having my Chronicle in the mornings. And I get it everyday, rain or shine. Does the Hearst people still own the Chron?

I like USA Today online because the stories are short and current and the stock market right there.

Have you all noticed that newspapers are a fledgling business. Since the internet, subscriptions have dropped for all major newspapers. About the only thing they put in there are sales papers and more sales papers. But .... I couldn't imagine not having my Chronicle in the mornings

And most are free online. Why pay?

I think it gives Houston a big city feel. You know how when you're walking along the sidewalks in New York or Chicago, you're always having to go through scaffolding in certain places? Well, now we have that in Houston.

The difference, of course, is that up there they're actually doing something behind that scaffolding, and it doesn't take two years, and when it's gone, there's a newer, cooler thing to see.

What lies beneath at the corner of Travis and Texas:

chronicle.jpg

Wait a minute. Is this the current Chronicle bldg????? Whoa. I arrived in 1972, but don't remember how it looked back then. Of course, newspapers were not what I was looking at in Houston. ;)

Why buy it when you can get it free? Because nothing goes better with a cup of coffee than the morning newspaper. Jeez, can you all remember when the Chronicle had the morning edition and the evening or was it afternoon edition? My, how times have changed.

Do you know what is depicted in the emblem on the top of the building? Looks interesting and kind of like Chrysler's old winged blue-ribbon badge of excellence from the Fifties.

I don't know what that is on the top. I'm still searching for more pictures.

Wait a minute. Is this the current Chronicle bldg????? Whoa. I arrived in 1972, but don't remember how it looked back then.

Yep. Actually those are the two buildings facing Texas under the new "modern" crap facade. Purdy, huh? :huh:

neat little slide show:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/spe...ldg/photo1.html

but no close-ups of the top

That's a good slide show.

When I was there in 1994, the paper wasn't even using all of the available space in the 10-story building. I got the impression they pretty much built the exterior of the current building around the old Milam Building where the Houston Club was located. Sort of like a cocoon.

By that time, they just started moving into a part of the 10th floor in the old Milam Building. One could see some decorative moldings that belonged to the old building.

Inside, one can tell where the original Chronicle Building ends and the other buildings begin because some of the floors will rise (or drop) a couple of steps.

Archived