Minority Scholarships

pm91

if hispanics are the majority now in harris county, then shouldn't caucasians qualify for the minority scholarship now? it makes sense, if they aren't the minority anymore, then why should they still get the minority scholarship?

if hispanics are the majority now in harris county, then shouldn't caucasians qualify for the minority scholarship now? it makes sense, if they aren't the minority anymore, then why should they still get the minority scholarship?

Minority in an ethnic-racial context is an outdated term and whose original users probably never anticipated an eventual majority minority, and it is probably defined in most cases as non-white anyway.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a European-American scholarship. Even if one were privately funded the group would get attacked from multiple fronts and would be branded as racist, which makes that highly unlikely.

We're simply in a period of time where the backlash from the formerly racist policies of the ruling whites is flooding over true fairness and equal opportunity. I'm sure that in time a more balanced society will evolve.

I read an interesting item awhile back about a guy who tried to get trademark protection for, "white pride, nationwide". He said his applying was an act of anti politically correctness, not racism.

Here's the patent office's reply.

"Section 2(a) Refusal

"Registration is refused because the proposed mark consists of or comprises immoral or scandalous matter. Trademark Act Section 2(a) U.S.C. 1052(a); TMEP 1203.01. According to the attached evidence from a Lexis/Nexis database and a search of the Internet using the search engine www.google.com, the "WHITE PRIDE" element of the proposed mark is considered offensive and therefore scandalous."

/s/ by Barbara Rutland, USPTO Examining Attorney

And here are the trademarks that have been approved by the same office so far;

"African Pride," "African Man Pride," "Asian Pride," "Bahama Pride," "Black Panther Party", "Burn, Baby Burn" (Black Panther slogan) "Black Power""Black Pride," "Black Supremacy", "Brazilian Pride," "China-Pride," "Chippewa Pride," "Choctaw Pride," "Colombian Pride," "Cuban Pride," "Dakota Pride," "Dominican Pride," "El Salvador Pride," "Ecuador Pride," "Gay Pride Apparel," "Guyanese Pride," "Havana Pride," "Honduran Pride," "Indian Pride," "Jamaica's Pride," "Jewish Pride," "Kwanzaa Pride," La Raza" (the race) "Long Beach Lesbian and Gay Pride," "Mayan Pride," "Mexican Pride," "Native Pride!," "Nicaraguan Pride," "Orgullo Hispano" (Hispanic Pride), "Orgoglio" (Hispanic

Basing ANYTHING upon ethnicity, sex or religion is divisive and is the antithesis of fairness. Fairness does not mean everyone is entitled to the same things. It means everyone should get what they earn regardless of ethnicity, sex or religion.

I read an interesting item awhile back about a guy who tried to get trademark protection for, "white pride, nationwide". He said his applying was an act of anti politically correctness, not racism.

Here's the patent office's reply.

"Section 2(a) Refusal

"Registration is refused because the proposed mark consists of or comprises immoral or scandalous matter. Trademark Act Section 2(a) U.S.C. 1052(a); TMEP 1203.01. According to the attached evidence from a Lexis/Nexis database and a search of the Internet using the search engine www.google.com, the "WHITE PRIDE" element of the proposed mark is considered offensive and therefore scandalous."

/s/ by Barbara Rutland, USPTO Examining Attorney

I think that's hilarious. I ought to try and patent "Honky Pride" and sell t-shirts and bumper stickers.

white pride is uncouth and nonsensical becuase unlike black or hispanic, it's not an ethnic group. irish, polish, italian pride is another thing...

How about Jamaicans and all the other carribean ethnicities? There are plenty of subcultures among peoples of African descent.

And Hispanics...wow. Don't ever call a Salvadorian a Mexican.

How about Jamaicans and all the other carribean ethnicities? There are plenty of subcultures among peoples of African descent.

And Hispanics...wow. Don't ever call a Salvadorian a Mexican.

how many jamaicans refer to themselves as african american? as for hispanic, aren't they lumped together as an ethnic bloc? i think october is hispanic heritage month.

how many jamaicans refer to themselves as african american?

Whether or not Jamaicans and other groups from the Caribbean refer to themselves as African Americans is often related to how long or how many generations they have lived in the US and whom they might have married and a number of circumstances that are much too complex to go into here. My spouse's parents immigrated to the US from Jamaica. Sociologists refer to their children--my spouse and sibling--both born in the US as second generation. Because spouse and sibling were raised in Brooklyn, New York in an African American community, they identified with came to see themselves as African Americans and both married African Americans even though their parents might have wanted them to maintain their Jamaican identity. Some second and third generation immigrants from the Caribbean do maintain their original identities, but others come to see themselves as African American. One sociologist who has written about this process is Mary C. Waters in the book Black Identities West Indian Immigrant Dreams and American Realities

how many jamaicans refer to themselves as african american? as for hispanic, aren't they lumped together as an ethnic bloc? i think october is hispanic heritage month.

I've always had problems understanding the justifications for 'ethnicity' on account of that there are so many groups and subgroups, all intermingling, all ultimately comprising the largest group, that of the human species. It just doesn't make sense (to me) to bother with the divisions. Too much generalization. Too many exceptions. So if nothing else, it just makes good fodder for jokes, like "Honky Pride".

Nevertheless, I'd suggest that you not mistake a Salvadorian for a Mexican.

Black is an ethnic group??

Of course not, but since most African Americans or black people do not know exactly where their ancestors come from, they just say "Black Pride", rather than "Nigerian Pride", or "Ghana Pride". Hispanics and whites are more likely to know where their families are from

Of course not, but since most African Americans or black people do not know exactly where their ancestors come from, they just say "Black Pride", rather than "Nigerian Pride", or "Ghana Pride". Hispanics and whites are more likely to know where their families are from

I knew it wasn't... I wasn't literally asking ;)

Archived