Phoenix Tower: Office Building At 3200 Southwest Fwy.

New to the Houston office tower world...and I'm wondering why Phoenix Tower (former Bank United Tower at 3200 Southwest Freeway) in Greenway Plaza seems like a bit of an under appreciated asset. It is a beautiful all-glass tower with nice angles and views in a seemingly strong location. The ownership is implementing some major changes including a new Jack Nicholas Putting Green on its 1/2 acre green space atop its enclosed all glass-facade parking garage. Additionally, the ownership is currently replacing the spandral panels on the Tower with contrasting silver bands of glass. Looks like a promising redevelopment project. Curious if people are favorable towards this tower?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Phoenix Tower has an interesting history and is appropriately named. Completed in 1984 the building sat mostly empty for several years and made a come back in the early '90's. You could literally see the sunset through the building if you were driving down the Southwest Freeway. The Phoenix rising from the flames analogy is not too far off the mark, in my opinion.

The exterior glass curtain wall has been a problem for years, too. The window tint deteriorated, especially on the spandrel panels, other than difficulty finding new glass to match the existing it is probably another reason they are being replaced with something other than glass. Unfortunately or fortunately it will completely alter the character of the building. It remains to be seen if it will be a positive change, but considering Gensler is doing the design I am confident it will be an improvement.

Phoenix Tower has an interesting history and is appropriately named. Completed in 1984 the building sat mostly empty for several years and made a come back in the early '90's. You could literally see the sunset through the building if you were driving down the Southwest Freeway. The Phoenix rising from the flames analogy is not too far off the mark, in my opinion.

The exterior glass curtain wall has been a problem for years, too. The window tint deteriorated, especially on the spandrel panels, other than difficulty finding new glass to match the existing it is probably another reason they are being replaced with something other than glass. Unfortunately or fortunately it will completely alter the character of the building. It remains to be seen if it will be a positive change, but considering Gensler is doing the design I am confident it will be an improvement.

Interesting background history on Phoenix Tower. The spandel panels are being replaced with Silver Glass...so the facade will remain "all-glass" with alternating blue and silver bands of glass. You can see on certain sides and elevations the glass being replaced right now...looks like a lot of work...but I believe it will look very sharp in the end...I like the color contrast so far. Gensler is a top design firm!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The south facade of the Phoenix is nearly complete. The striped configuration of the glass is a huge improvement, IMO. I wonder what people inside do when they come and pop out your window. I'm not sure if that building is floor-to-ceiling glass, but that would be kind of freaky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Phoenix Tower, at 3200 Southwest Freeway in Greenway Plaza, will break ground on a 247K SF parking garage by year-end. The garage annex, operated by Parkway Property Investments LLC, will adjoin the original eight-story garage and also provide direct, covered access to The Hub, the restaurant and amenity core of the Greenway Plaza complex. The project is slated to wrap up in late 2019. HOK is the architect, and Kimley Horn is the property engineer.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-94904

Took this photo today:

OrDad5K.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Parkway Completes Renovation For Phoenix Tower In Greenway Plaza

Golf out, lounging in at renovated Greenway Plaza Sky Terrace

The upgrades include a new epoxy coating for the reflection pool, the replacement of existing grass with artificial turf, the incorporation of new seating areas with assorted lawn games and the addition of Adirondack chairs to the lounging options. The Sky Terrance is accessed through the interior Sky Lobby, which has a modern, fast-casual café. 

VYDWUvo.jpg

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...