where to buy mattress?

I decided to go Tempurpedic about a year ago (really does seem to help my back). Although their prices are supposed to be "fixed" Gallery Furniture was about $100 less on the model I wanted and they delivered it less than two hours after I bought it on a Sunday evening as advertised.

That's why my family went from Montgomery Wards to him, I think he started out under a tent in that parking lot in front of trailer houses the early 80's, I think???

• 2 months later...

I have to chime in here and share. This year my wife and I were looking for a very, very firm mattress. We couldn't find anything we liked until we visited Gallery Furniture. Then we found it. We purchased a queen size from there and it was delivered (with new box springs) that same day for less than $700. They even hauled away our old mattress and springs. This was in Feb, 2007.

We've purchased other items from Gallery over the years, and have always been happy.

• 4 years later...

Research before you buy. Tempurpedic and many other mattresses have some pretty toxic crap in them, including known carcinogenic materials. After doing a ton of research, I ended up getting a mattress from New Living, a store in the Rice Village, that sells healthier mattresses with more natural materials. I'm very happy. IKEA is also supposed to have a decent no-voc mattress, but I haven't tried it.

largeTEXAS, that was very random.

FWIW, I suggest Craigslist. Mattresses depreciate very rapidly with use. I bought mine from random French chick. It was a little awkward sniffing at her mattress to check for freshness issues the way a dog sniffs a crotch just for fun (with her and her brother in the room, watching), but the price was just ridiculously good.

TheNiche, you're right, that was pretty darn random :) But, I stand by my random/weird post because I kind of became a mattress nerd earlier this year when it came time to replace the one I bought 4th hand in college. My cousin works for Mattress Firm and he tipped me off to some crazy nasty stuff they put in the mattresses. So, I started googling...

• 3 weeks later...

LarryD, you took the earworm right out of my head. I read the title and immediately replaced the annoying "We Are Young" song with "Only at Mattress Giant! Ooooh Ahhhh!" as the dominant ear worm working my brain.

It's a step up, I think.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Wife and I purchased a memory foam with a gel topper which moves your head/feet up and down similar to a hospital bed.  We picked it up at the Dump.  I have not slept worth a hoot since.  it is two extra long singles that raise and lower seperately.  Perhaps i should of requested a firmer mattress for my side since i am 250 plus.  it is ok at first but i continue to sink as i sleep and wake up with a horrible back ache.  I at times sleep in sons room when he is gone on his cheap little mattress and i wake up feeling brand new.  I snore so the reclining does help some but not worth the back aches.  we paid 6k for the setup.  horrible investment.  The niche, I'd gladly sell it to ya for a deal, heck I'll even let ya sniff it :P

Archived