So what areas have Mods?

Scott08

I have been aware for awhile of the "hotbed" mod neighborhoods of Memorial Bend and Glenbrook Valley. And of course the high-end mods in River Oaks and Memorial areas. Since I began to lurk on this forum, I have seen the concentrations is Meyerland/Westbury. Just the past few weeks became aware of a small number in Shepherd Plaza and nearby areas. My realtor buddy (who is learning more about this from me than anywhere else I think) tells me it's likely that most areas built up in the 50's-60's would have at least a few. So where else can I look for one in the $250K or less range? I grew up in one in Spring Branch but it was designed by my father and I don't remember there being others around. I've been living in a Craftsman style home in Norhill since the early 90's and am ready for a change. I think my dream would be to find an inner city lot and build my own new house, but price reality indicates a nice 50's MCM would be a better value.

I have been aware for awhile of the "hotbed" mod neighborhoods of Memorial Bend and Glenbrook Valley. And of course the high-end mods in River Oaks and Memorial areas. Since I began to lurk on this forum, I have seen the concentrations is Meyerland/Westbury. Just the past few weeks became aware of a small number in Shepherd Plaza and nearby areas. My realtor buddy (who is learning more about this from me than anywhere else I think) tells me it's likely that most areas built up in the 50's-60's would have at least a few. So where else can I look for one in the $250K or less range? I grew up in one in Spring Branch but it was designed by my father and I don't remember there being others around. I've been living in a Craftsman style home in Norhill since the early 90's and am ready for a change. I think my dream would be to find an inner city lot and build my own new house, but price reality indicates a nice 50's MCM would be a better value.

The Memorial Villages, especially around Taylorcrest and Knipp road, have tons of mods. You just need to look closely. Look in Sandalwood (which is also a great place to walk) The two most interesting mods in that neighborhood are on Robinlake Lane and were designed by Lars Bang and Frank Welch/Howard Barnstone. Nearby, on Hickory Ridge, is the house Wylie W. Vale designed for the Mayes family.

Sherwood Forest is an interesting spot too. The neighborhoods along Memorial Drive between the freeway and Voss is full of mods that are really breathtaking. Timberwilde is one spot. There is the Greer house by Richard S. Colley, and the Lasher house by Thomas M. Price that you'll love. Both sides of Friar Tuck have some great mods too, including a new one by Lake/Flato architects. Neuhaus & Taylor designed the Schnitzer house on Friar Tuck and Bolton & Barnstone's Finkelstein house is there too. Go down Longbow lane and you'll see Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson's Kelsey house. There are also many more mods back there, though none are really visible from the street.

There are obviously many more.

Take a drive along Brays Bayou too, from the Meyerland area to the Riverside Terrace area. There are some neat houses along N. Braeswood, and tons in RT (there are some threads around here with more specifics).

I believe the OP was asking about ones under $250k. All of the areas mentioned have great mods, but none for that price range. (except Tanglewilde)

Your options are pretty limited. Most 50's neighborhoods inside the loop, including Riverside, Timbergrove, Woodside and Woodshire are generally going to be above that price point. You can't get anything in Memorial for that price range and if something came up in Meyerland for that, (which is very doubtful) chances are it would be in really bad shape.

On the west side you might find something in Tanglewilde,(not to be confused with Tanglewood), Walnut Bend, or Briarmeadow. You can also go west of Meyerland into Braeburn Valley, Maplewood & Robindell to find a decent concentration.

Besides Glenbrook you can sometimes find them in neighboring Meadowcreek Village, (Karen of Mod Pod and also UH Arch Prof Susan Rogers both have houses over there). I recently sold a Mackie and Kamrath in Meadowcreek that was within that price range. There are a few in Garden Villas, but none on the market right now. Occassionally in small areas bordering Glenbrook such as Barkerwood or Meadowbrook Freeway.

They can also be scattered through Spring Branch from time to time. Royal Oaks is usually got the best shot at finding one over there.

Have you looked at the list on Houston Mod?

So where else can I look for one in the $250K or less range? I grew up in one in Spring Branch but it was designed by my father and I don't remember there being others around. I've been living in a Craftsman style home in Norhill since the early 90's and am ready for a change. I think my dream would be to find an inner city lot and build my own new house, but price reality indicates a nice 50's MCM would be a better value.

Robert mentioned the most likely areas in that price range but if you are not in a hurry I would focus on Timbergrove. There have been a couple of "untouched" mods in Timbergrove in that price range lately. But they have either sold or are pending sale. The OP one on Wister is sweet, the pictures just don't do it justice but the option period was up last Friday and it's pending sale now.

Thanks for all the info. I really hate to give up my inner loop location but have seen a few in the area. There's always that dilemma of selling first and then waiting to find the perfect house to buy, or jumping on one and having two mortgages or a contingency offer.

If you like the West side, go Westbury, Robindell or Braeswood and Hillcroft area (the last mod of the month was near there and is only $152K and most likely designed by W. Floyd. I'd take a look at that one!) If you like the South side, go Glenbrook. $250K is unfortunately not a lot in the areas where most of the "ubermods" are (Meyerland, Memorial). Willowbend isn't even under $250K for the most part any more.

All in all, it's going to be a long search unless you don't mind an imperfect house. As soon as you realize all of them are imperfect you will be in a better state of mind. Plus, there just aren't that many moderns out there. There are 50's ranches galore, but so few with walls of glass, low or no pitch roofs, or designed by known architects.

I would love the process of having my own house built though, so I wouldn't give that dream up! But land inside the loop may be more than $250K too, except for a few areas.

Jason

Nobody mentioned Sharpstown.

I would love the process of having my own house built though, so I wouldn't give that dream up! But land inside the loop may be more than $250K too, except for a few areas.

Jason

The 50' X 100' lot next door to me in North Norhill went for $150K, ouch! I don't want to build a huge "modern McMansion," something in the 1200-1400 sq ft range would suit me fine. If I could find an innerloop lot, even oddly shaped, in the $80-100K range, I MIGHT be able to build and come out under $250K.

The 50' X 100' lot next door to me in North Norhill went for $150K, ouch! I don't want to build a huge "modern McMansion," something in the 1200-1400 sq ft range would suit me fine. If I could find an innerloop lot, even oddly shaped, in the $80-100K range, I MIGHT be able to build and come out under $250K.

You should be able to find a decent lot in the east end somewhere for that price range or even less.

m+a architects are inside the loop just south of UH and Riverside Terrace off of Griggs Rd near MLK. They built their own amazing modern house and did it relatively inexpensively.

Being about a mile from the loop - inside or out - has it's advantages.

Jason

You should be able to find a decent lot in the east end somewhere for that price range or even less.

I'm not too sure about this encouragement to by a lot and build. If 250K is the desired expenditure, you're highly unlikely to be building in a desirable area. Figure $125 p.s.f. minimum for new construction -- on top of the lot cost. This number would of course exclude architectural fees.

I would advise against a "contingency offer" (based on selling of one's house) as all leverage will be lost. Most likely the two mortgage scenario will be the game plan. There's risk... but then, when isn't there?

Figure $125 p.s.f. minimum for new construction -- on top of the lot cost.

Really? That seems high to me, but I know little to nothing about new construction. Why would mod construction cost more than any other construction? Numbers i've heard from some smaller builders were under $100/sf. Of course, you can EASILY spend more than $125/sf.

but yeah, you could get 1800 sf in maplewood for under $200k and then do a gut and rehab and still be under $250k. or just buy one that's been 'remodeled' for $250k

Okay, so this is a really broad question, but does new construction price per square foot vary by location? or just in the choice of materials? I would have thought that construction was construction and that the major factor in total cost would be the land value. As an example, a builder like Perry Homes sells townhouses out in the burbs for $150K, a similar product inside the loop costs $250K, wouldn't that just be the land value?

Okay, so this is a really broad question, but does new construction price per square foot vary by location? or just in the choice of materials? I would have thought that construction was construction and that the major factor in total cost would be the land value. As an example, a builder like Perry Homes sells townhouses out in the burbs for $150K, a similar product inside the loop costs $250K, wouldn't that just be the land value?

Yes, and when speaking of price per sf that is the total price (house and land)

when looking to buy. When looking to build, of course that is separated out...

• 6 months later...

One of my long-time favorites in Meadowcreek...anyone know about this one? address: 2042 Forest Oaks...not too many in this nabe, but the ones they have are really nice. Love the frosted glass entrance with the plant.

While Sharpstown is mostly populated with fairly mediocre ranch houses, I have a house that I will be putting up for sale/rent in about a month. It is is a really nice modern house, with fantastic brickwork, a low slope roof, and amazing trees. Definitely a classy mod. For sale around 130K, remodeled. Save the other 120K in your budget and buy a bunch of Eames furniture.

The address is 7139 Sharpcrest if you want to drive by. e-mail me at info@area16.com for a tour.

The 3rd ward also has some really amazing mods, FYI. I think they are overpriced, given the typical condition and neighborhood location, but many disagree and love living in that neighborhood.

Or why don't you make an offer on the formica house? Maybe you could get it for 250K?

Good luck on your mod search!

I love that Meadowcreek Village house, too. I moved to the nabe in January, and I've been walking past it a few times a week. I never see anyone in the front yard.

Lots of the houses here are still occupied by their original owners, but HCAD says that this one has had at least a couple of owners since it was built in '63.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

one of those listings is 423 Electra - - a Lars Bang for sale in the Memorial Bend. I suspect most of the interest in this house will be the treed lot that opens to the bird sanctuary. However, the HAR photos don

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen a few mods in the Lazybrook area (just inside the Loop, immediately to the northwest of Timbergrove). It's fairly reasonable, still some pretty neat homes under $300k, however I believe that area flooded pretty badly during TS Allison.

Lazybrook didn't flood in Allison that I know of. I knew of at list one person that cornered on T.C. Jester and they did not get water, I think it hit the other side of the bayou along that stretch.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of mods in Lazybrook, a couple maybe, but that is about it.

• 3 years later...

I have a question about a house that sits on Glenalta, in Meadowbrook Freeway. It has a double, deep lot, back lot sits on Glenscot (map spelling) Glenscott on HCAD info.

The house in question sits on the fifth lot, counting back left, north side from intersection of Glenalta & Hinman.

GoogleEarth says the address is @8357 Glenalta. Corner house is listed as 8315 Glenalta. (I don't like the newest version of GoogleEarth, seems harder to get addresses).

I've studied this house before, something weird is going on, with the street addresses. You know how they can change, mid-street.

Whats the real address?

I'm trying to find out who the previous owners were, if it was a house I visited as a child. It's a wild shot, I know.

The family had a rectangle pool, huge lot, had an Asian rickshaw, an older boy pulled me around the pool in it.

Was in the 1960's. The house itself left an impression on me, the whole back side of the house was glass, sliding doors (maybe), typical sixties fashion. We visited at night, it had landscape lighting, was beautiful.

I've vaguely remember white, very plush carpeting, in the living room, as well.

http://books.tax.hct...7_40-2_0243.jpg

Block 7, lot 2 ?

I would welcome you in Northside Village. You can hoof-it or "soon" train yourself downtown. Lots of scrapes (sad, but factual) as well as empties over here.

^Looks like it's 8219 Glenalta. When I'm having trouble with addresses I sometimes go to the TSARP map (http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/) - here's a screenshot:

glenalta8219.jpg

Oh, cool ! You just showed me a new map link to look up address info. on, Thanks sevfiv !

That's for sure the right location it, double lot, same address.

That area is confusing, the same streets are found in a different section, one in Glenbrook Valley, other side of drainage canal, to the west.

Archived