FW. The Most Overshadowed City in America.

JJG

I would love for you to show me where I said downtown Dallas trumps DTFW. I gave my impressions of FW coming from someone who has never been there. And I even said they were clearly my impressions, yours may differ. What's laughable is your belief that my very SUBJECTIVE opinions are wrong and your very SUBJECTIVE opinions are right. I would never be so stupid to try to argue something so moot. We might as well argue which color is more pretty..blue or red.

:D

I know most of you who left posts on this thread may not be from Fort Worth and don't feel as passionate as I do on the subject. That's very understandable. I'm just a little passionate about it because it's home, ya know?

I wanna see Fort Worth grow and become THE best city, because I couldn't imagine living anywhere else (except maybe San Antonio or the far western or northern sides of Houston). Just as long as we don't become another L.A, or Rust Belt city, I'll always be proud of this town.

(Note: I do respect every city, but I don't really LIKE EVERY city. If you're from Los Angeles or one of the Rust Belt Cities, no offense. I'm not trying to diss your towns, but they're not exactly the greatest cities in the world....)

BTW, I hope to bring more (and of course, positive) Fort Worth view to this forum. I know it's nothing, but I'm glad you read this.

Fort Worth is America's 18th largest city, yet most people think it's still in the 30's. That, or they don't think this city exists at all.....

Now I know alot of that is Fort Worth's own fault. Our city hasn't done much to become as well know as the other cities in Texas. We haven't tried that hard to attract big time companies, which my guess would be why we don't have a big time skyline. The only thing we're famous for is COPS and I'm pretty sure most of the city isn't too proud of that, and hey, that's our fault......

I can understand why you might not think Fort Worth is a big, progressive city (which it IS), but what's up with all the disrespect? And this is mostly coming from our neighbors to the east....

Look, Dallas and Houston may have it all, but that doesn't give ya the right to talk down on anybody. Every town has it's high points and low points, but no one can talk bad about a city. Give Ft. Worth the respect it deserves.

BTW, could you just concider the following....

• NO, Fort Worth is not a Dallas suburb
  • The Texas Motor Speedway is actually in Justin, but concidered to be Ft. Worth. NOT Dallas.
  • Ft. Worth is bigger than, Atlanta, Miami, Las Vegas, Memphis, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, St. Louis.....it goes on.... The point is, Ft. Worth isn't a small city. It's just not as well known.
  • Dallas doesn't own Fort Worth or every other town in North Texas. So stop saying DFW when you mean Dallas. PLEASE!
  • Ft. Worth isn't infested with backwoods, George Bush worshiping rednecks. We have those people, but they dont make up the whole city. And we're not the only city with rednecks, either.
  • Some of the people here do have an inferiority complex... ok. I can't really explain that one, but I guess you would to if your city was constanly being called something else.
  • Finally, I hear from some Dallasites that Dallas is the most disrespected city in America. Well Dallas, at least people think your the only city in the "Dallas Metroplex". And you've got sports teams...and a beautiful skyline...and world wide fame from two t.v. shows... AND you've got a new mayor, so stop complaining.

If there are any replies, please don't turn this into another Dallas vs. Houston thing. I'm in a school 30 miles away from Houston, where most of the students are either from Houston or Dallas, so I get enough of that down here.

Don't you guys realize??? It's the animocity that makes the cities interesting!!! Why be Twins like your friends on the northern side of I-35 (Minneapolis- St. Paul)?

Be neglectful Texan siblings!!

In all seriousness, Dallas and Fort Worth have a very different 'cultural geography to them. One could almost consider the big D as a far-rflung pseudopod of the the East Coast... financial capital, fast paced, high strung, and full of attitude. Fort Worth is a much more relaxed vibe, and stronly identifies itself with the Old West, and not just from the Stockyards.

Here's the beauty of Texas though... you take those two culture clashes, smash them together, add some humidity and a few more queers than steers, and what do you get??

Wait for it.... HOUSTON!!!!!!

JJG-- I think this article provides some background on the Trinity River Vision. You may find it interesting.

http://americancity.org/article.php?id_article=145

I was going to use the link to start a new topic questioning HAIFers about whether they think there are enough residential projects in downtown Houston. For anyone else who reads the article, do you think it would be redundant to start such a topic? It occurs to me that there just aren't enough residential projects in DT Houston.

Okay. I'm sorry. I know this thread is about Fort Worth, but I just wanted to ask that.

:blink:

Please tell me they are not going to name the metro rail in Fort Worth the FART!

:lol: Oh nooooo. Fort Worth's Transportaiton Authority is called "The T". So if anything it's gonna be called "The T-rail" or "The TRail" or somthing like that.

JJG-- I think this article provides some background on the Trinity River Vision. You may find it interesting.

http://americancity.org/article.php?id_article=145

This project will double the size of downtown and bring more development to the area. This is the greatest project the city has ever come up with and The Star-Telegram once refered to it as the Vancouver of the South. It's great, but too bad it's not going to be finnished until 2015....or further.

I went to DFW this summer and had a great time. I liked Ft. Worth a lot and I asked my dad why is it still a subureb of Dallas and he told me it never was. I was shocked to find out it actually had its own suburbs. But Dallas is Dallas and many people will think Ft. Worth as Dallas' largest suburb no matter what. Thats just the way it is. I always wondered what city makes more money of the cowboys? Does Dallas just get name recognition since they dont really play in Dallas city limits.

I went to DFW this summer and had a great time. I liked Ft. Worth a lot and I asked my dad why is it still a subureb of Dallas and he told me it never was. I was shocked to find out it actually had its own suburbs. But Dallas is Dallas and many people will think Ft. Worth as Dallas' largest suburb no matter what. Thats just the way it is. I always wondered what city makes more money of the cowboys? Does Dallas just get name recognition since they dont really play in Dallas city limits.

No one in DFW thinks of FW as being a suburb of Dallas - that really only happens with people outside of the DFW Metroplex and more so with people from outside Texas. Arlington likes to claim that it's not a suburb either... but it is a suburb of FW and it is also the largest suburb (est. pop 364,300) in Texas. Dallas is the county seat of Dallas County, FW is the County Seat of Tarrant County. For many years, the Dallas and Fort Worth Metro's were not counted as one Metro area. It wasn't until the Dallas and FW commuter patterns (the number of folks living in one city and commuting to the other for work) hit a high enough percentage that the U.S Census Bureau designated the area as one metro area. Because the two cities grew together into one larger metro region, we have some very large suburbs. In fact the state's 3 largest suburbs are in DFW; Arlington, Plano, and Garland. Despite being a suburb, Arlington is the 7th largest city in Texas. Plano is number 9 and Garland is number 10.

As for the Dallas Cowboys, FW really hasn't ever profited from the Cowboys since they have always resided in Dallas County. Now that they are moving to Tarrant County, however, FW might see some proceeds in the form of more tourist and more hotel rooms rented. But, the Cowboys new stadium is being built in Arlington so the majority of the proceeds from Cowboy games will remain in Arlington. FW will benefit from the new cowboy stadium when the super bowl hits because Arlington isn't big enough to provide all the hotel space needed, so the entire metroplex will benefit from the superbowl being played at the new stadium.

I wouldn't really call Arlington that much of a suburb with FW. Arlington along with GP are kind of in the middle. A lot of people in both cities commuter to either the Dallas side or FW side.

The Census Bureau puts Arlington in the Fort Worth "metropolitan division", not in the Dallas "metropolitan division".

I wouldn't really call Arlington that much of a suburb with FW. Arlington along with GP are kind of in the middle. A lot of people in both cities commuter to either the Dallas side or FW side.

I've always considered Arlington and GP suburbs because neither of them are the main anchor of their respecitve metro areas. And, the fact that they do have large portions of their populations that commute to either Dallas or Fort Worth is what makes them suburbs. Fort Worth has historically been the center of the Tarrant County end of the metroplex and is the county seat... that's why it is NOT a suburb of Dallas. Dallas, obviously isn't a suburb either. Arlington and GP also lack any sort of public transportation system. Arlington still relies on FW's transportation system; the T. I think another ear mark of whether a city is a suburb or not is whether or not the city was formed as a suburb of another major city - if it's very existance is owed to a nearby larger city. I think both GP and Arlington fit that description. Neither city would have grown into what they are today without the surrounding cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. Think about it, if Arlington was a stand-alone city without the rest of the Metroplex, it wouldn't have Six Flags, Texas Rangers, or the Dallas Cowboys.... Those entertainment complexes were built in Arlington because of Arlinton's proximatity to the much larger population of DFW.

IMO, there are no cities in DFW other than Dallas and FW that are not suburbs regardless of how large they are.

I've always considered Arlington and GP suburbs because neither of them are the main anchor of their respecitve metro areas. And, the fact that they do have large portions of their populations that commute to either Dallas or Fort Worth is what makes them suburbs. Fort Worth has historically been the center of the Tarrant County end of the metroplex and is the county seat... that's why it is NOT a suburb of Dallas. Dallas, obviously isn't a suburb either. Arlington and GP also lack any sort of public transportation system. Arlington still relies on FW's transportation system; the T. I think another ear mark of whether a city is a suburb or not is whether or not the city was formed as a suburb of another major city - if it's very existance is owed to a nearby larger city. I think both GP and Arlington fit that description. Neither city would have grown into what they are today without the surrounding cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. Think about it, if Arlington was a stand-alone city without the rest of the Metroplex, it wouldn't have Six Flags, Texas Rangers, or the Dallas Cowboys.... Those entertainment complexes were built in Arlington because of Arlinton's proximatity to the much larger population of DFW.

IMO, there are no cities in DFW other than Dallas and FW that are not suburbs regardless of how large they are.

Oh they are suburbs. I was just saying Arlington may not completely be a FW suburb.

I haven't been to FW in a few years (I am in Dallas allot, we have an office there -- actually have an office in FW as well, I just have never visited that office), but I do remember there being an awesome botanical garden in FW, and they had some museums that were nice as well.

I remember when I was a kid thinking that Dallas was the city and Fort Worth was a fort for the military that was next to the city ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Fort Worth is a great city that does a lot of things very well (Cultural District, Stockyards, Sundance Square, etc). It also has great potential to expand and grow (which Dallas does not). However outside of Texas, Fort Worth will (rightly or wrongly) continue to be known as a "secondary" neighbor of Dallas for some time.

This is not unique to DFW - just ask St Paul, Minnesota; St Petersburg, Florida; Tacoma, Washington; or Oakland, California (among others). All of these cities likely feel slighted compared to their more prominent neighbors, but at the same time each does benefit from the association with the larger city.

In each case regional cooperation would benefit all involved (I think Minneapolis/St Paul does it well). The less Fort Worth worries about competition with Dallas, and focuses instead on coordination with all of the cities in the DFW area, the more the region benefits.

In each case regional cooperation would benefit all involved (I think Minneapolis/St Paul does it well). The less Fort Worth worries about competition with Dallas, and focuses instead on coordination with all of the cities in the DFW area, the more the region benefits.

I guess.... but could FOX at least tell the NASCAR commentators to stop saying that the TMS is in Dallas? Just asking.

Fort Worth and Dallas are great for each other. They're kind of like the odd couple. But a little recognition can't hurt us, can it?

The city should encouarge the stations that are licensed to Fort Worth to start saying it like they're proud of it, not like it's something to be ashamed of and should bury.

TV stations licensed to Fort Worth:

• KXAS
  • KTVT
  • KTXA
  • KUVN
  • KVFW
  • KFWD

Radio stations licensed to Fort Worth:

• KTCU
  • KLNO
  • KSCS
  • KEGL
  • KPLX
  • KDGE
  • KMVK
  • WBAP
  • KFJZ
  • KHVN
  • KFLC

When those stations' licenses come up for renewal the mayor or chamber of commerce or someone official should complain to the FCC. Those stations will change their slogans in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...
The city should encouarge the stations that are licensed to Fort Worth to start saying it like they're proud of it, not like it's something to be ashamed of and should bury.

TV stations licensed to Fort Worth:

• KXAS
  • KTVT
  • KTXA
  • KUVN
  • KVFW
  • KFWD

Radio stations licensed to Fort Worth:

• KTCU
  • KLNO
  • KSCS
  • KEGL
  • KPLX
  • KDGE
  • KMVK
  • WBAP
  • KFJZ
  • KHVN
  • KFLC

When those stations' licenses come up for renewal the mayor or chamber of commerce or someone official should complain to the FCC. Those stations will change their slogans in a heartbeat.

Watching TV on a daily basis in D-FW, it's impossible to tell exactly where any station is licensed. Well, except for WFAA - " broadcasting in HIGH DEFINITION from Victory Park".

(And, yes, they are wearing out that tag line.)

Other than that there's no way to tell where any broadcast is originating since they routinely show images of both city skylines and try, effectively I might add, to balance the news coverage to cover all corners of the MetroPlex.

O.K. Personally, I don't concider Arlington a suburb.... anymore. Arlington is getting (or is) too big to be called a suburb now. Alot of people will disagree with me, I'm sure.

O.K. Personally, I don't concider Arlington a suburb.... anymore. Arlington is getting (or is) too big to be called a suburb now. Alot of people will disagree with me, I'm sure.

Yeah I would. Arlington is a suburb. It is like those big suburbs around Phoenix (Glendale, Mesa, Scottsdale, etc.). Mesa I think is over 400,000 and expected to be at about 620,000 after 2020. Mesa is still a suburb. All it is, is cookie-cutter houses block after block. Sprinkle in some strip centers, Walmarts, and maybe some malls, and that is Mesa. Arlington is like that, too, but the advantage that Arlington has on Mesa is the stadiums and Six Flags. Glendale is probably a better comparison, but both are still suburbs (Glendale is over 200,000).

Yeah I would. Arlington is a suburb. It is like those big suburbs around Phoenix (Glendale, Mesa, Scottsdale, etc.). Mesa I think is over 400,000 and expected to be at about 620,000 after 2020. Mesa is still a suburb. All it is, is cookie-cutter houses block after block. Sprinkle in some strip centers, Walmarts, and maybe some malls, and that is Mesa. Arlington is like that, too, but the advantage that Arlington has on Mesa is the stadiums and Six Flags. Glendale is probably a better comparison, but both are still suburbs (Glendale is over 200,000).

Agreed. What makes it a suburb is that most of the people who live there have to travel elsewhere in the metro to find employement.

• 1 month later...
Long Beach isn't a suburb though. I would even say Burbank isn't a suburb. The rest are (even Riverside).

Long Beach and Burbank are most definitely suburbs of LA... Just about all the major cities in SoCal are suburbs of LA, except for San Diego and its surrounding suburbs. Long Beach has over 400K, but it is definitely a suburb of LA.

Archived