FW. The Most Overshadowed City in America.

JJG

Fort Worth is America's 18th largest city, yet most people think it's still in the 30's. That, or they don't think this city exists at all.....

Now I know alot of that is Fort Worth's own fault. Our city hasn't done much to become as well know as the other cities in Texas. We haven't tried that hard to attract big time companies, which my guess would be why we don't have a big time skyline. The only thing we're famous for is COPS and I'm pretty sure most of the city isn't too proud of that, and hey, that's our fault......

I can understand why you might not think Fort Worth is a big, progressive city (which it IS), but what's up with all the disrespect? And this is mostly coming from our neighbors to the east....

Look, Dallas and Houston may have it all, but that doesn't give ya the right to talk down on anybody. Every town has it's high points and low points, but no one can talk bad about a city. Give Ft. Worth the respect it deserves.

BTW, could you just concider the following....

• NO, Fort Worth is not a Dallas suburb
  • The Texas Motor Speedway is actually in Justin, but concidered to be Ft. Worth. NOT Dallas.
  • Ft. Worth is bigger than, Atlanta, Miami, Las Vegas, Memphis, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, St. Louis.....it goes on.... The point is, Ft. Worth isn't a small city. It's just not as well known.
  • Dallas doesn't own Fort Worth or every other town in North Texas. So stop saying DFW when you mean Dallas. PLEASE!
  • Ft. Worth isn't infested with backwoods, George Bush worshiping rednecks. We have those people, but they dont make up the whole city. And we're not the only city with rednecks, either.
  • Some of the people here do have an inferiority complex... ok. I can't really explain that one, but I guess you would to if your city was constanly being called something else.
  • Finally, I hear from some Dallasites that Dallas is the most disrespected city in America. Well Dallas, at least people think your the only city in the "Dallas Metroplex". And you've got sports teams...and a beautiful skyline...and world wide fame from two t.v. shows... AND you've got a new mayor, so stop complaining.

If there are any replies, please don't turn this into another Dallas vs. Houston thing. I'm in a school 30 miles away from Houston, where most of the students are either from Houston or Dallas, so I get enough of that down here.

Fort Worth is America's 18th largest city, yet most people think it's still in the 30's. That, or they don't think this city exists at all.....

Now I know alot of that is Fort Worth's own fault. Our city hasn't done much to become as well know as the other cities in Texas. We haven't tried that hard to attract big time companies, which my guess would be why we don't have a big time skyline. The only thing we're famous for is COPS and I'm pretty sure most of the city isn't too proud of that, and hey, that's our fault......

I can understand why you might not think Fort Worth is a big, progressive city (which it IS), but what's up with all the disrespect? And this is mostly coming from our neighbors to the east....

Look, Dallas and Houston may have it all, but that doesn't give ya the right to talk down on anybody. Every town has it's high points and low points, but no one can talk bad about a city. Give Ft. Worth the respect it deserves.

BTW, could you just concider the following....

• NO, Fort Worth is not a Dallas suburb
  • The Texas Motor Speedway is actually in Justin, but concidered to be Ft. Worth. NOT Dallas.
  • Ft. Worth is bigger than, Atlanta, Miami, Las Vegas, Memphis, Boston, Seattle, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, St. Louis.....it goes on.... The point is, Ft. Worth isn't a small city. It's just not as well known.
  • Dallas doesn't own Fort Worth or every other town in North Texas. So stop saying DFW when you mean Dallas. PLEASE!
  • Ft. Worth isn't infested with backwoods, George Bush worshiping rednecks. We have those people, but they dont make up the whole city. And we're not the only city with rednecks, either.
  • Some of the people here do have an inferiority complex... ok. I can't really explain that one, but I guess you would to if your city was constanly being called something else.
  • Finally, I hear from some Dallasites that Dallas is the most disrespected city in America. Well Dallas, at least people think your the only city in the "Dallas Metroplex". And you've got sports teams...and a beautiful skyline...and world wide fame from two t.v. shows... AND you've got a new mayor, so stop complaining.

If there are any replies, please don't turn this into another Dallas vs. Houston thing. I'm in a school 30 miles away from Houston, where most of the students are either from Houston or Dallas, so I get enough of that down here.

The Dallas Fort Worth area has been discribed as a multi-polar regional metropolis (Check out the definition of the area in 'Skyscrapers.com'). As there is no argument that downtown Houston is the polar center of the Houston Metropolitan area, the argument as to what is the polar center for the DFW area is very competitive. Is it downtown Dallas? Is it North Dallas? Is it the DFW Airport / Las Colinas area? Will it one day become the fast growing area of north Fort Worth? The fact that Arlington will become even more of an entertainment center when the Cowboy stadium is completed and that downtown Fort Worth area is as impressive as it is, is positive for the whole metropolitan area.

In comparison, there really isn't an area in Houston that challenges its massive urban area. This area includes its downtown, uptown and its medical center and all areas in between. All of these areas are in close proximity to the other when compared to the large polar centers in DFW. Its growing uptown area where the Galleria is located at one time seemed positioned to challenged downtown, but it really hasn't done much since the city suffered the economic collapse of the 80s.

I do agree with you that Fort Worth is impressive. While parking at a shopping mall in west Fort Worth with my sons, we watched 2 F-16s take off from the Military Airport next door. We then visited the huge Lockheed factory based at the airport where they build them. Does the area of Fort Worth have a university? Yes. Does it have airports? Yes. Does it have its own medical centers? Yes. If you live in Fort Worth you certainly don't have to go to the Dallas zoo. Most think the Fort Worth zoo is better, in fact. You certainly don't have to go to the Art's District in Dallas either.

Although Fort Worth is indeed impressive in its own right, you still have to admit that downtown Dallas is developing an advantage with its light rail system in the competition to be recognized as the primary polar center for the metropolitan area.

So it really isn't that Fort Worth doesn't get recognized. The problem is that it gets recognized as just one of many polar core areas in the Metroplex. This creates competition in the area and works to the advantage to the whole area in the long run.

The Dallas Fort Worth area has been discribed as a multi-polar regional metropolis (Check out the definition of the area in 'Skyscrapers.com'). As there is no argument that downtown Houston is the polar center of the Houston Metropolitan area, the argument as to what is the polar center for the DFW area is very competitive. Is it downtown Dallas? Is it North Dallas? Is it the DFW Airport / Las Colinas area? Will it one day become the fast growing area of north Fort Worth? The fact that Arlington will become even more of an entertainment center when the Cowboy stadium is completed and that downtown Fort Worth area is as impressive as it is, is positive for the whole metropolitan area.

In comparison, there really isn't an area in Houston that challenges its massive urban area. This area includes its downtown, uptown and its medical center and all areas in between. All of these areas are in close proximity to the other when compared to the large polar centers in DFW. Its growing uptown area where the Galleria is located at one time seemed positioned to challenged downtown, but it really hasn't done much since the city suffered the economic collapse of the 80s.

I do agree with you that Fort Worth is impressive. While parking at a shopping mall in west Fort Worth with my sons, we watched 2 F-16s take off from the Military Airport next door. We then visited the huge Lockheed factory based at the airport where they build them. Does the area of Fort Worth have a university? Yes. Does it have airports? Yes. Does it have its own medical centers? Yes. If you live in Fort Worth you certainly don't have to go to the Dallas zoo. Most think the Fort Worth zoo is better, in fact. You certainly don't have to go to the Art's District in Dallas either.

Although Fort Worth is indeed impressive in its own right, you still have to admit that downtown Dallas is developing an advantage with its light rail system in the competition to be recognized as the primary polar center for the metropolitan area.

So it really isn't that Fort Worth doesn't get recognized. The problem is that it gets recognized as just one of many polar core areas in the Metroplex. This creates competition in the area and works to the advantage to the whole area in the long run.

This might be the most disturbing post EVER on HAIF. Nucklehead has reproduced??? This does not bode well for the future of the DFW area.

This might be the most disturbing post EVER on HAIF. Nucklehead has reproduced??? This does not bode well for the future of the DFW area.

Nucklehead may or may not understand Houston, but you managed to cram more nonsense into your three fragmented sentences than nucklehead did in his entire post. Congrats :)

The Dallas Fort Worth area has been discribed as a multi-polar regional metropolis (Check out the definition of the area in 'Skyscrapers.com'). As there is no argument that downtown Houston is the polar center of the Houston Metropolitan area, the argument as to what is the polar center for the DFW area is very competitive........Although Fort Worth is indeed impressive in its own right, you still have to admit that downtown Dallas is developing an advantage with its light rail system in the competition to be recognized as the primary polar center for the metropolitan area.

I guess DFW is a "multi-polar regional metropolis" (never heared that before). And Dallas does have twice more projects in development than Fort Worth does. But all I'm saying is, can Fort Worth become recognized as more than just a secondary city. We need more projects, especially in the skyline department. We only have 5 real skyscrapers in downtown right now, and they're all under 600 feet. And I don't care what anyone says, we need MAJOR sports teams. Don't give me that crap about Dallas representing DFW in sports as a whole, because Oakland and San Fransisco are right next to each other and they have their own NFL and MLB franchises.

Nucklehead may or may not understand Houston, but you managed to cram more nonsense into your three fragmented sentences than nucklehead did in his entire post. Congrats :)

I apologize if my writing was over your head.... allow me to explain. In the post to which I was referring, Nucklehead mentioned that he took his two sons somewhere in Fort Worth. From that I concluded that Nucklehead had reproduced. The possible presence of not one but three Nuckleheads in DFW does not bode well for its future.

No nonsense.

No fragmented sentences.

Just a little humor.

Haha...I agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually from Houston though...

Don't give me that crap about Dallas representing DFW in sports as a whole, because Oakland and San Fransisco are right next to each other and they have their own NFL and MLB franchises.

What are you talking about? Fort Worth (Tarrant County) already HAS both MLB and NFL franchises. Why do you need more? :lol:

I apologize if my writing was over your head.... allow me to explain. In the post to which I was referring, Nucklehead mentioned that he took his two sons somewhere in Fort Worth. From that I concluded that Nucklehead had reproduced. The possible presence of not one but three Nuckleheads in DFW does not bode well for its future.

No nonsense.

No fragmented sentences.

Just a little humor.

Houston19514, Apparently, I momentarily lost my ability to read; I missed the reproduction part.

Sorry about that. :)

I guess DFW is a "multi-polar regional metropolis" (never heared that before). And Dallas does have twice more projects in development than Fort Worth does. But all I'm saying is, can Fort Worth become recognized as more than just a secondary city. We need more projects, especially in the skyline department. We only have 5 real skyscrapers in downtown right now, and they're all under 600 feet. And I don't care what anyone says, we need MAJOR sports teams. Don't give me that crap about Dallas representing DFW in sports as a whole, because Oakland and San Fransisco are right next to each other and they have their own NFL and MLB franchises.

Compared to what Fort Worth is doing, which is the correct thing, the city of Dallas is subsidizing corporations to over build office space in its Uptown/Downtown area at taxpayer expense. The smothered taxpayer in this case represents the potential for the development of small businesses in the future.

Meanwhile, the city of Fort Worth is building their healthy economy from the bottom up and there isn't a lot of empty office space in Fort Worth as a consequence.

While menially sized warehouses and short office buildings actually house the type of premium office space small businesses prefer, tall skyscrapers still get better recognition. But such tall office buildings generally house large corporations. Small businesses expand faster than huge corporations producing better tax revenue for the city while they generally pay their employees better than huge corporations. In other words, having 20 five story office buildings containing small businesses is better than having a single 100 story building housing a major corporation.

While it only looks like Dallas is doing better than Fort Worth because of its taller office buildings, Fort Worth too will have to build more skyscrapers itself as its small businesses reaches a critical mass where some turn into major private and public corporations.

What is undeniably happening right now in DFW is that the city of Fort Worth is building a better foundation for a good economy, while Dallas, because of its despisal for all things small business, is letting such industries erode away from under its feet. I actually think Houston is worst off than Dallas in its tendency to be anti-small business because the city is far more dependent on social money from the government.

What are you talking about? Fort Worth (Tarrant County) already HAS both MLB and NFL franchises. Why do you need more? :lol:

The Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers have chosen to positioned themselves at the center of the DFW area in Arlington. This will bode well for them in the future as the region grows past 10 million and other teams consider the area large enough to support 2 teams. Even the Mavs wore Jerseys proclaiming themselves to be the DFW Mavericks while practicing in Fort Worth.

Think about it. Why should Dallas continue in getting free name recognition from a team that they chose not to entice to their city? Could the Cowboys in the future change their name to the "Southwest Cowboys" in order to better protect their market from encroaching teams that might move there from ever shrinking markets like Pittsburg, New Orleans or Cincinnati? The regional name "New England Patriots" works well for the city of Boston.

Doesn't count. Arlington has (or should I say will have both of) those teams and Arlington is it's own city as well. It's just that the media conciders the whole area to be Dallas, which sucks for us, because we don't get anything. Owner Jones couldn't even give us a friggin' Arena Leauge team..... we would have took it, just as long as it didn't have "DALLAS" or "TEXAS" as our team's name. Fort Worth should have NBA, NHL, MLS, Arena Leauge, and WNBA franchises. Hey, I'm just throwing suggestions out there..... :)

No NFL. We've got TCU football and the Cowboys. And no MLB, becuase the area has enough baseball teams with one more coming to Grand Prairie.

As for the skyline.... I don't think at least one 60-70 story building would hurt. I mean, for the love of God, we've had virtually the same skyline for 20+ years. And next year it will just SLIGHTLY change with the Omni Hotel. But I know that's out of my control, though.

Doesn't count. Arlington has (or should I say will have both of) those teams and Arlington is it's own city as well. It's just that the media conciders the whole area to be Dallas, which sucks for us, because we don't get anything. Owner Jones couldn't even give us a friggin' Arena Leauge team..... we would have took it, just as long as it didn't have "DALLAS" or "TEXAS" as our team's name. Fort Worth should have NBA, NHL, MLS, Arena Leauge, and WNBA franchises. Hey, I'm just throwing suggestions out there..... :)

No NFL. We've got TCU football and the Cowboys. And no MLB, becuase the area has enough baseball teams with one more coming to Grand Prairie.

As for the skyline.... I don't think at least one 60-70 story building would hurt. I mean, for the love of God, we've had virtually the same skyline for 20+ years. And next year it will just SLIGHTLY change with the Omni Hotel. But I know that's out of my control, though.

You are STUCK with the Cowgirls, that is YOUR team, deal with it ! Why does Jerry OWE you another team ? Go ask Cuban for a handout, he is looking to spend some money right now. You seriuosly think your area could support ANOTHER NHL francise ? Get real.

Big reason you don't have any 60 to 70 story skyscrapers is because of a little problem you guys have quite frequently........Tornadoes !

Is everyone in the Dallas/Ft.Worthless area THIS whiny ? No wonder I refuse to live in that Cowtown, and choose to live in THE best city that The Great State of Texas has to offer.

Oh BTW, WELCOME TO HAIF. glad to have your here.

I am a FW native from a multi-generation FW native family chiming in here... FW is FW's biggest problem. There has always been a very deep-seeded anti-Dallas mentality in FW. Actually, Dallas started the rivalry way back in the day by saying that "FW was such a sleepy town that a panther was seen sleeping on the Courthouse steps", and thus the original city monikier of "Panther City" was born. That set in motion a rivalry between the two cities that, although not as intense as days gone by, still exist in true hard-core FW natives. Unfortunately, some of those same folks are the same people who "make things happen" in FW. You have to remember that Amon Carter - the founder of the FW Star Telegram - also struck back at Dallas with his own unique and infectious sense of FW Civic Pride. Legend has it that whenever Amon Carter had to go to Dallas for business, he always took his lunch with him so he wouldn't spend any of his money in Dallas, thus contributing to the Dallas economy. Of course, in the early 70's the cities worked together to build DFW Airport, which turned a page in history of the DFW Metroplex by marking the first time Dallas and FW combined forces to create what is still the largest economic engine in the DFW Metroplex. In a nutshell, the cities have always had a rivalry and deep seeded pride in being different from each other. Dallas has always considered itself the cosmopolitain side of the metroplex, and FW has always prided itself on being the laid back, down to Earth side of DFW.

But, times they are a changin... Dallas was once the 6th or 7th largest city in America and over the past 10 years has started moving down the list. FW, on the other hand, was the 29th largest city about 10 years ago and just recently passed Baltimore to become the 17th largest city in the U.S. and is currently the fastest growing city over 500,000 in the country. Some experts are now predeicting that FW may surpass Dallas in population in the next 15 to 20 years. However, even if FW continues to grow at its current rate, I doubt FW will ever have a skyline that rivals Dallas or Houston. FW has always been very slow and conservateive about building trends. I think FW will follow the pattern more similar to San Antonio or Phoenix where the population is much larger than the skyline seems to indicate. FW seems to have a glass ceiling at the 40 story mark. FW hasn't built a building over 25 stories since the early 80's... The Omni is breaking that streak... and hopefully someone else will build something over 40 stories, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that....

Compared to what Fort Worth is doing, which is the correct thing, the city of Dallas is subsidizing corporations to over build office space in its Uptown/Downtown area at taxpayer expense. The smothered taxpayer in this case represents the potential for the development of small businesses in the future.

Uhh..both Radioshack and Pier 1 got huge tax incentives to build their buildings in Fort Worth...both companies are struggling now by the way. The city also gave sizeable incentive to Cabella's to build that store they claimed would be a major tourist draw. The reception of the store has been lukewarm. And lets not forget the mess going on with the now 300 million plus dollar Jr. College Tarrant County is building. And didn't the Omni hotel receive incentives as well. Fort Worth is no different than any other city in the country in regards to the incentive craze.

And Fort Worth is lacking skysrcrapers and office buildings because its economy is much more industrial based and the city is just more blue collar. The city has warehouses everywhere. And I don't live there, but I've always heard jobs paid less and were much fewer in Fort Worth.

The city just simply isn't very progressive and that ain't Dallas' fault... And if the populaiton swells to the million plus mark, who cares, FW will simply be the largest least known city in the country.

You are STUCK with the Cowgirls, that is YOUR team, deal with it ! Why does Jerry OWE you another team ? Go ask Cuban for a handout, he is looking to spend some money right now. You seriuosly think your area could support ANOTHER NHL francise ? Get real.

Big reason you don't have any 60 to 70 story skyscrapers is because of a little problem you guys have quite frequently........Tornadoes !

Is everyone in the Dallas/Ft.Worthless area THIS whiny ? No wonder I refuse to live in that Cowtown, and choose to live in THE best city that The Great State of Texas has to offer.

Oh BTW, WELCOME TO HAIF. glad to have your here.

Hmmm..... Well first things first, I'm glad to be on this forum.

Second, about what you said about the 'BOYS... uh, yeah, that's OUR team, too. All of North Texas cheers for the Cowboys and we don't need another NFL franchise. I DO think we could support another NHL franchise becuase (1. Hockey is alot bigger than you think in this area. As a matter of fact, my high school has a hockey team and it's just a 9 year old school in SW Ft. Worth. And (2. with the growing population of DFW, the number of sports fans grow as well. It may never happen, but anything's possible.

I don't think we have a small skyline because of tornadoes. If that was the case then Dallas wouldn't have the skyline it has, and they CAN get tornadoes as much as we can. If that was the case then Miami wouldn't build as much and as tall as it's building right now because they get these little things called hurricanes every now and then. And let's not forget San Francisco, who is building two 50+ story towers and proposing and 80 story building right now..... and don't they have earthquakes?

Now I don't know where I came of as "whiny", since this is just a topic on why Ft. Worth isn't well know and suggestions of what could be done to make the city more well known (This is what I'm talking about....what's up with all the hate?). I'm not talking down on any other city in this state on this post. You may not like Ft. Worth, which is fine. I know alot more people who like the city than hate it and that's all that matters. OUR citizens, OUR city. I've got alot of respect for every city in Texas, but not ant-town comments like that.

Miami hurricanes might have a max of about 120 mph. Far cry from 200 to 250 mph winds that Vortex. Ft. Worth is actually OK in my book, it is your snobby neighbors to the east that I can't stand. I will still love them though, because they, like you, are fellow Texans. Perhaps you guys need an MLS team, then we can have a little rivalry.

The city just simply isn't very progressive and that ain't Dallas' fault... And if the populaiton swells to the million plus mark, who cares, FW will simply be the largest least known city in the country.

Fort Worth is already the largest least known city in America, which was half the inspiration for the title. :) Well most ,if not, all of the things we don't have is our fault, as I stated earlier. But I just don't really see Fort Worth as not a very progressive city. We're one of America's most liveable comunities and our crime rate isn't the lowest in the country, but it's not high either. We must be doing something right. Right?

Fort Worth is already the largest least known city in America, which was half the inspiration for the title. :) Well most ,if not, all of the things we don't have is our fault, as I stated earlier. But I just don't really see Fort Worth as not a very progressive city. We're one of America's most liveable comunities and our crime rate isn't the lowest in the country, but it's not high either. We must be doing something right. Right?

I agree that Fort Worth is under estimated. But so is Houston in the national scope *in my opinion*. Houston is big, but you don't here about it on CNN, FOX or other major networks. It's a city that lay's under the radar. When people think of Texas, they think Dallas. They are third in line for population. But they had a tv show named after it, they had Walker Texas Ranger filmed there and on and on. Houston has one of the best medical centers in the world...not country...world. Do you hear anything about that outside of Houston? Ft. Worth is very nice. It's a shame you guys have to be so close to such a snobby bunch of people. By the way, I'm sick that Dallas won last night. Unbelievable. Did anybody catch that?

It's a shame you guys have to be so close to such a snobby bunch of people. By the way, I'm sick that Dallas won last night. Unbelievable. Did anybody catch that?

Uh yes... I saw it in my building's t.v. room with some of my dorm mates..... GO COWBOYS!

But really, let's not turn this into city vs. city thing.

(Who am I kidding. It will........)

I am a FW native from a multi-generation FW native family chiming in here... FW is FW's biggest problem. There has always been a very deep-seeded anti-Dallas mentality in FW.

Although I'm getting off the subject so to speak, I wish some of our Dallas posters would read the above line by Willy1. It might stop some of the dribble regarding their claim to Ft Worth.

I have said 200 times that the Fort Worthians I know (and I know a few) despise the idea of Dallas claiming it in their city rankings... Or should I say metro rankings.

Although I'm getting off the subject so to speak, I wish some of our Dallas posters would read the above line by Willy1. It might stop some of the dribble regarding their claim to Ft Worth.

I have said 200 times that the Fort Worthians I know (and I know a few) despise the idea of Dallas claiming it in their city rankings... Or should I say metro rankings.

I' havent' been here long enough to have an anti Fort Worth sentiment, and from the Dallas side of the metroplex, I wonder if there really is one. I say that because I've been in Dallas for several years now and I rarely hear anyone from Dallas even mention Fort Worth..good or bad. I do get tired of FW folk whining about being overshadowed by Dallas. From what I've seen Dallas was the more competitive and progressive city, plain and simple. How do you expect to compete with a city in dire need of attention (Dallas) by claiming your city (FW) is slow paced, laid back, historic, small town country feelin', etc. ( That seems to be the mantra of the city.) Well then don't be shocked that the city that desires to be modern and cosmpolitan continues to eclipse you...regardless of what your population may climb to.

When I moved to Texas (Houston), I had never heard of Fort Worth. I believe I thought Fort Worth was who or what the Dallas airport was named after. When I move to Dallas, I became really good friends with a coworker who lives in FW, so I compromise and go there ocassionally. My first visit there, I couldn't believe how slow the place was. I read the city had 600,00 people. It felt like maybe half that. Downtown was cute, but I would hardly call it cosmopolitan or big city. It was like a small town downtown square and not exciting at all at night. Everything seems very vanilla and no real soul or funkiness. The streets around the city are extremely quite on weekends and downtown is really the only place to go to do anything. (Sorry, I'm not into Stockyards cowboy stuff..too Disney) Unforturnately after one visit you kinda see everything to see in downtown FW and after a few more visits you've eaten everywhere worth eating. (Too many chains) .

Also, I was surprised at how little corporate presence the city has and how industrial ( and sorry, unattractive) it is. Hence my comment about skysrapers, or lack thereof. It really ain't that kind of city. And Fort Worth is growing, but the vast majority of the growth seems to be the type most cities are trying to curb..miles and miles of cheap subdivisons and strip malls.

Of course, these are just my observations of a city that I knew nothing about. I'm sure others are different.

Unforturnately after one visit you kinda see everything to see in downtown FW and after a few more visits you've eaten everywhere worth eating. (Too many chains) .

I found that Dallas (actually, the whole area) has A LOT of chain restaurants. They are all mostly burger and fries, too.

Everything seems very vanilla and no real soul or funkiness. The streets around the city are extremely quite on weekends and downtown is really the only place to go to do anything. (Sorry, I'm not into Stockyards cowboy stuff..too Disney) Unforturnately after one visit you kinda see everything to see in downtown FW and after a few more visits you've eaten everywhere worth eating. (Too many chains) .

I understand you have your opinion and all but I think you're half way kidding yourself about downtown Fort Worth. Downtown Dallas can only hope to ever have half the vibrance and excitement of downtown Fort Worth. Fort Worth's downtown even knocks dt Houston to the ground when it comes to touristy things and proximity of pedestrian friendly establishments (although dt Houston is starting to catch up). Main Street Square can only get better once the east side of downtown's developments get to rocking and rolling (i.e. Houston Pavilions/ Discovery green).

Even though i like alot of what Dallas is doing with their city center, you can't discredit Fort Worth for having one of the most awesome downtowns in the state of Texas.

Yeah, you showed your true bias trashing downtown Fort Worth, leaving the unstated but clear impression that desolate downtown Dallas trumps it.

Everyone has their own opinions, but I suggest that the "soulless" things you mention are actually the SOUL of Fort Worth. Ironically, the things that you suggest are the soul of other cities are actually not soul, but plastic and fake. MY opinion is you got it so completely backwards as to be laughable.

I was there in May for the first time and saw a cool, laid back blend of old and new, a nice balance between demolition and development, which I like in a city. Of course it'll always be overshadowed, but why care? Being so close to Dallas would seem to be their luckiest economic asset, the rest is just collective ego.

8vs1w8.jpg

21ot01h.jpg

Tons of great deco buildings around.

25hpg6u.jpg

23ml91z.jpg

Interesting new development.

30j1h5d.jpg

29erdow.jpg

This is Fairmont, the semi-equivalent of our Eastwood.

You know the yuppies have arrived when there's a home tour.

2w4zgh1.jpg

Fairmont neighborhood architectural salvage yard.

312u7ax.jpg

OK. The resposnes about downtown I'm getting overall is.......:

Downtown Fort Worth has a charming, small town image... which is good, but bad, because it's fake and Branson-like. That's bad because it seems to hang too much on the past and doesn't show a progressive, working city center, but it's also good because it gives people something else to do in downtown than look up at the skyscrapers from the ground and see more people who are dressed like you, rather than seeing uptight suits on their cell phones....I think....

(That, my friends, was a mash up. I was just running in my mind a little. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Anyway, most (really, all) of Ft. Worth's attractions are in the center of the city.... and that wont be changing anytime soon.

Some futrue projects of FW include:

(as some of you already know) The Trinity River Vision

Gal_TrinityUptownSW.gif

The Lancaster Ave. Project

4118.jpg

Trinity Bluff

sketch11.gif

LaGrave Field Development

500-lagravemixeduse.JPG

7th Street Development

987249402_be31a76cf1.jpg

And just maybe, a well overdue light rail system

1486894093_9259c93131_o.jpg

Hopefuly, they wont look like this....

Some of these projects may not happen.... soon. But eventually, they'll come.

We also have a few buildings growing in downtown, but besides the Omni, the buildings that are underconstruction right now come at a total of 40 stories.

I'm not worried about the general crime statistics of Ft. Worth. As long as we've got the city leadership and police force we have, we'll be alright.

I understand you have your opinion and all but I think you're half way kidding yourself about downtown Fort Worth. Downtown Dallas can only hope to ever have half the vibrance and excitement of downtown Fort Worth. Fort Worth's downtown even knocks dt Houston to the ground when it comes to touristy things and proximity of pedestrian friendly establishments (although dt Houston is starting to catch up). Main Street Square can only get better once the east side of downtown's developments get to rocking and rolling (i.e. Houston Pavilions/ Discovery green).

Even though i like alot of what Dallas is doing with their city center, you can't discredit Fort Worth for having one of the most awesome downtowns in the state of Texas.

Thank you for agreeing with me. I didn't say FW's downtown was bad, but it is just that...very touristy..like a shopping mall.

These are only my opinions feel free to disagee if you want. I don't care much about Fort Worth and am not very passionate on the subject, so I really don't care how my opinions are peceieved. I don't care how "vibrant" the downtown is the city is boring overall. Gee, I wonder why it never gets noticed.

Yeah, you showed your true bias trashing downtown Fort Worth, leaving the unstated but clear impression that desolate downtown Dallas trumps it.

Everyone has their own opinions, but I suggest that the "soulless" things you mention are actually the SOUL of Fort Worth. Ironically, the things that you suggest are the soul of other cities are actually not soul, but plastic and fake. MY opinion is you got it so completely backwards as to be laughable.

I would love for you to show me where I said downtown Dallas trumps DTFW. I gave my impressions of FW coming from someone who has never been there. And I even said they were clearly my impressions, yours may differ. What's laughable is your belief that my very SUBJECTIVE opinions are wrong and your very SUBJECTIVE opinions are right. I would never be so stupid to try to argue something so moot. We might as well argue which color is more pretty..blue or red.

Archived