Home At 4810 N. Braeswood Blvd.

HoustonRealtor

Again, not my listing, but should be of interest to the Mod fans. No pics in the new listing yet, but here are a few from when it sold last year.

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/53/hr1596553-3.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/53/hr1596553-4.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/53/hr1596553-5.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/53/hr1596553-6.jpg

Wow...what a great house. They even listed the architects; Paul & Paul, never heard of them.

I asked Stephen Fox about it one time, unfortunately I can't find my e-mail on that one. I believe he told me that they were Greek Architects that did a lot of restaurants around town.

Meyerlandmod.jpg

Saw this at the open house earlier this afternoon. Neither set of pictures (the ones originally posted from last year nor the current ones from har.com) do justice to it. It's incredible. I love the way it wraps around the back yard, which has lovely mature trees. Kudos to the current owners for doing such a fantastic renovation and keeping alive the spirit of the original.

I actually looked at this house when I was shopping for houses back in 2005. I loved it but crossed it off the list when the owner told me that it had flooded 3 times since she owned it. It's right on the banks of Braes Bayou on busy Braeswood Blvd. The realtor showing me the house was absolutely mortified that the seller volenteered that information. But aside from the busy road that it is built on and the flooding issues I sure did/do love this house and that neighborhood.

I'm not too surprised to hear that it's still on the market tho.

The new owners did a fantastic job with the restoration.

The terrazzo floors gleam throughout the house. The removal of the rotted wood decking off the patio is a real improvement. The cabinets, counters and door hardware are all original and in pristine condition.

Even the walk-in closet made from the fourth bedroom is a plus.

The new landscaping coordinates the house, accenting its strong features and hiding some flaws (like the lattice work screens in the "porch" outside the kitchen).

Somebody will snap this one up quick!

I actually looked at this house when I was shopping for houses back in 2005. I loved it but crossed it off the list when the owner told me that it had flooded 3 times since she owned it. It's right on the banks of Braes Bayou on busy Braeswood Blvd. The realtor showing me the house was absolutely mortified that the seller volenteered that information. But aside from the busy road that it is built on and the flooding issues I sure did/do love this house and that neighborhood.

I'm not too surprised to hear that it's still on the market tho.

Pretty sure you're wrong about the house flooding 3 times... I heard it only flooded twice in almost 50 years, yeah that's a strike against it. But there are also projects in the works that are improving Brae's Bayou and reducing the risk of flooding, even for houses right along the bayou. Yes it is on N. Braeswood, which is busy at times but it isn't located a busy intersection so there probably isn't much traffic backup there. Did you remember hearing a lot of traffic noise in the house? Seems like the layout and everything lends itself perfectly for the lot. I also saw the house when it was up for sale previously and I didn't notice hardly any noise from Braeswood. There was a little bit of traffic noise from 610 but it was just like background noise. The tradeoff to being on a "quiet" street is you aren't as likely to be burglarized on a busy street.

As for the house still being on the market, uh, do you realize it just went on the market late last week?

Looks like the current owner has done a great job based on the pictures. Can't wait to see it in person..... hope it doesn't go under contract so quickly I miss out.

I wish i could have made it to the house this afternoon...sounds great, especially if the pictures are only a hint of it all.

fwiw, i spent the latter part of my childhood in a home about the same distance from 610 (though it is more elevated at this location), and i pretty much grew numb to the freeway noise.

also, a while ago for a short period of time i lived on N. Braeswood just across the loop - it was extremely flood prone - obviously underwater during Allison, but also didn't have much tolerance for heavy rains much at all.

the house does look a bit more elevated than the place i lived, though.

Well that's what the lady said who was moving from there in the summer of 2005. I remember this pretty well because it is VERY unusual that someone trying to sell a home would say something like that to a potential buyer. The lady told me the house flooded 3 times since she lived there but I don't remember her telling us how long she had lived there. I think she said her in-laws built the house, but I'm not sure. This person was in the middle of packing and moving when the realtor showed it to us. I also remember that she said she had the original blue prints of the house and was going to show them to us because I was tripping out over the incredible beauty of this house. She was having a hard time finding them, so I told her that it was o.k. I knew she was busy packing. I also remember her being very nice and friendly.

I don't remember hearing, or noticing the traffic noise at all when I was there. I was too buzzed by the house itself to notice any traffic noise. The street noise would not have caused me to not buy the house anyway, but the flooding issue did bother me. The house is so close to the bayou that it made since to me that flooding would be a problem.

It probably isn't a major problem as the house has been standing for decades and looked to be in very good shape. I am really glad to hear that they are reducing the risk of the bayou flooding the homes in that neighborhood. I wish I had known that at the time. It might have made a difference to me.

I don't keep up with when houses go on and off the market but this house was definately on the market in summer 2005. One with a passion for mid twentieth century design and the city of Houston would remember the day that got to go into this house for a long time. I only clicked on this thread because I thought I recognized the address and wanted to see if this was the house I saw back then, and it is.

I really loved this house and I pray that who ever buys it takes really good care of it.

As I understand it, full disclosure with respect to flooding, fire, death within house, etc. is required by law. It would be unethical to do otherwise -- and probably create a potential liability issue. Regardless, any mention of flooding should put one on alert. High alert. Only those who have never been through one are naive enough to move forward on a real estate transaction within a flood zone.

Sure, you can cite the fact that bayou improvements will probably reduce the risk of flooding but only just. As I have mentioned on another recent post: If it flooded once, it will flood again. Now, are there those who just accept the fact and live with it -- paying for flood insurance, dealing with the stress every time there's heavy rain, etc. You bet. I'm not one having been through it once.

In my opinion, there simply is nothing out there (real estate wise) worth the risk and eventual stress of forced renovation as the result of flooding. If you've energy to spare and don't mind throwing away things you've treasured or worked hard to gain as a result of flooding... well, best of luck.

You'll need it.

I had a chance to drop by yesterday and I agree it's a really great house. I noticed some hairline cracks in the terrazzo in several rooms. The terrazzo has been refinished in the last year though so overall it looks good and the cracks were small. The owner has done a great job with his interior, thus the house appeals to a wide variety of people, not just mod enthusiasts. I'm not a big fan of being right on Braeswood with the associated noise. I was surprised that all 4 bedrooms are at the front of the house nearest to Braeswood with the carport being at the back of the lot where it was not as noisy.

One of the guys at the open house seemed very interested in purchasing it so if anyone wants to see it before it's off the market I would try to get in fairly soon.

Allison was about the worst case scenario on flooding. From what I remember (which is always questionable) from when it was on the market before, was the amount of water it got in Allison was not very much. An inch maybe? I don't think it got like a foot or anything significant like that. With the bayou improvements it could certainly reduce the likely hood of even that.

It would still be an obstacle to purchasing it for a lot of people. I think the current owner is only the second owner.

This house will be the Mod of the Month, Sunday the 14th along with another house around the corner.

I wish I could have gone yesterday. It's such a beautiful house and should make someone very happy.

We all hope the bayou projects help the flooding situations. Which will happen faster, the concreting of Bellaire/Meyerland with all the new houses taking up way too much of the lots and contributing to the water in the streets, or the improvement of the parks land by digging more lakes for water to drain into? I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Flooding was a big issue for me. When I found out my house had not flooded in Allison, I decided if it didn't flood at that time, it should never flood, but you never know. You live with all these worries in the back of your head when you own a house.

By the way $425K seems like a bargain for 2600 sq. ft in Meyerland...

Jason

Allison was about the worst case scenario on flooding. From what I remember (which is always questionable) from when it was on the market before, was the amount of water it got in Allison was not very much. An inch maybe? I don't think it got like a foot or anything significant like that. With the bayou improvements it could certainly reduce the likely hood of even that.

It would still be an obstacle to purchasing it for a lot of people. I think the current owner is only the second owner.

Well that's what the lady said who was moving from there in the summer of 2005. I remember this pretty well because it is VERY unusual that someone trying to sell a home would say something like that to a potential buyer. The lady told me the house flooded 3 times since she lived there but I don't remember her telling us how long she had lived there. I think she said her in-laws built the house, but I'm not sure. This person was in the middle of packing and moving when the realtor showed it to us. I also remember that she said she had the original blue prints of the house and was going to show them to us because I was tripping out over the incredible beauty of this house. She was having a hard time finding them, so I told her that it was o.k. I knew she was busy packing. I also remember her being very nice and friendly.I don't remember hearing, or noticing the traffic noise at all when I was there. I was too buzzed by the house itself to notice any traffic noise. The street noise would not have caused me to not buy the house anyway, but the flooding issue did bother me. The house is so close to the bayou that it made since to me that flooding would be a problem.It probably isn't a major problem as the house has been standing for decades and looked to be in very good shape. I am really glad to hear that they are reducing the risk of the bayou flooding the homes in that neighborhood. I wish I had known that at the time. It might have made a difference to me.I don't keep up with when houses go on and off the market but this house was definately on the market in summer 2005. One with a passion for mid twentieth century design and the city of Houston would remember the day that got to go into this house for a long time. I only clicked on this thread because I thought I recognized the address and wanted to see if this was the house I saw back then, and it is.I really loved this house and I pray that who ever buys it takes really good care of it.
It was her in-laws house, but she was going through a divorce at the time...and from the closing statement, she didn't get a dime from the profit of the house. That could be why she said it flooded 3 times, which it did not.

Two outstanding Mods open for tour on Houston Mod's October

Mod Of The Month

Sunday, October 14, 2007, 2:00 - 4:00 PM

4815 Braesvalley Drive and 4810 North Braeswood Blvd.

Join us at the October, 2007 Mods of the Month!

The October Mods of the Month feature two very exciting homes. First is a casually elegant 1950s contemporary home attributed to architect Lars Bang. It has a unique and inviting floor plan with multiple living areas featuring walls and walls of glass opening to private outdoor spaces. The entry area has a Palm Springs feel with a stylish double porte cochere that is connected to the double door entry through a cactus landscaped court topped by soaring beams.

hr1983801-2.jpg

hr1983801-3.jpg

p-9p9Jp8kZ84TteI2Nn6Qx%207Zux9%20lDk0300.jpg

Photo

The second house is a beautifully restored Mid-Century Modern house designed by Paul & Paul Architects. The house features a spacious L-shaped floorplan with lots of glass and HighCeilings. Much of the house features newly refinished poured terrazzo. Many original features of the house remain such as kitchen cabinets, white laminate counters, and a HotPoint cooktop in pristine condition. New items include: roof, Subzero fridge, SS Dishwasher, paint, light fixtures, carpet, landscaping, and window treatments.

hr2016486-3.jpg

hr2016486-21.jpg

hr2016486-18.jpg

The houses will be open Sunday, October 14th from 2-4pm. Please be sure to park on Braesvalley Dr, and walk around the corner to see the N. Braeswood house, as there is no parking on N. Braeswood. The new Hugo V. Neuhaus catalog by Houston Mod/Ben Koush will be available at this event, so if you haven't bought one yet, plan to do so. We can accept a $20 check or cash for the catalog. As always, members of the Mod Squad along with Realtors will be present to answer questions.

More details at HAR.com

• 4 weeks later...

Two outstanding Mods open for tour on Houston Mod's October

Mod Of The Month

Sunday, October 14, 2007, 2:00 - 4:00 PM

4815 Braesvalley Drive and 4810 North Braeswood Blvd.

Join us at the October, 2007 Mods of the Month!

The October Mods of the Month feature two very exciting homes. First is a casually elegant 1950s contemporary home attributed to architect Lars Bang. It has a unique and inviting floor plan with multiple living areas featuring walls and walls of glass opening to private outdoor spaces. The entry area has a Palm Springs feel with a stylish double porte cochere that is connected to the double door entry through a cactus landscaped court topped by soaring beams.

hr1983801-2.jpg

hr1983801-3.jpg

p-9p9Jp8kZ84TteI2Nn6Qx%207Zux9%20lDk0300.jpg

Photo

More details at HAR.com

It is now confirmed that 4815 Braesvalley Drive was designed by architect Lars Bang.

The agent has obtained the plans from the Meyerland office and they will be on display at an open house on Sunday, November 4, 2007 from 3 - 5 PM. It will be interesting to compare the evolution and innovation of the other early known Bang designs. The detail of the front living room window is similar to the front window on the Durness house while the other living room window is an evolution of a window in the same position in the Drummond house. Imagine a pool or water feature in either or both of the courtyards adjacent the living areas. Note all of the extras this house features made possible by the unusually expansive lot. Another bold design by the dynamic Bang.

• 7 years later...

I feel that I would have noticed this house when driving up and down North Braeswood. Have we lost it to the wrecking ball?

Edit: Never mind, I thought it was on this side of 610, not outside. Question still stands! This house looks very deserving of renovation.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to 4810 N. Braeswood Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Home At 4810 N. Braeswood Blvd.

Archived