Fort Worth Light Rail / Commuter Rail

The Western Bypass alternative bypasses downtown for the Cultural District west of Downtown. It doesn't make much sense because it wouldn't go downtown or connect to the existing TRE line. The cultural district would better be served by light rail or streetcar service from Downtown (which the article discusses).

The TRE line (dark blue on the map) already connects Fort Worth to Dallas with a stop south of DFW Airport (but then one has to take a shuttle and it's not very convenient). This new line up to Grapevine will terminate between the terminals of DFW Airport, where DART's Orange line and commuter line from North Dallas will also terminate (this post).

I believe the commuter line from Downtown FW already connects with DFW.

The Trinity Railway Express between Downtown FW and Downtown Dallas does "connect" with DFW at the Centerport station, but only by connecting to a shuttle bus traveling the rest of the way to the terminals.

While this is better than nothing, it does add more time to the trip and another layer of inconvenience. The TRE is geared towards commuters so it has big gaps in its mid-day schedule and no Sunday service. Plus returning passengers may have to wait 30 minutes or more for the shuttle to take them back to the station.

Fort Worth and Dallas travelers will both be better served once planned rail lines take passengers directly into the airport terminals (from the north), eliminating the extra bus trip.

If Fort Worth gets some LRT funding...then Houston should have no problem getting some.

I doubt it....TO ME....Houston has more attractive trains on their light rail system....BUT.......As far as the system itself.......it seems a bit threw together.......not planned tht well.....dosent serve enough people & neigborhoods....its more like an attraction...like a monorail at the zoo or something...I don't know......And since its not planned very well...it makes it seem that Houston dosent have a vision..or "BIG" picture to focus on when it comes to light rail...so...that makes federal funding harder to come by....Ft. worth on the other hand.....Will be joined at the seam with DART....so it makes it a more attractive investment.....THIS IS WHAT I THINK>>>>>>>>>not a debate starter...thnx in advance :ph34r:

Archived