Houston Country Club At 1276 North Wayside Dr.

rps324

I finally got some of my boxes of old books unpacked. I came across a 1941 Directory for the Houston Country Club back when it was still located on Wayside. It had a couple of interesting old pictures of the club in it.

HCC2.jpg

HCC3.jpg

I stopped by over there. What appears to be that mantle is in one of the snack shop rooms, under about 15 coats of paint. I don't know if that is the original location or not. Very little else is recognizable from these photos.

That building was torn down and replaced by the current...thing...in the 1970s. I believe. Interesting that they would have saved the mantle.

It has some old brackets that made me think that maybe it was an old bldg resurfaced in some sort of stucco mess. I can't believe they replaced the original building with what is there now, but I never saw the old facility in person. The mantle is definitely the same.

Approximately where was the old clubhouse located? I have only seen one other photo of the building (the postcard someone posted on here a while back), and it looks pretty similar to the one in the photo - sort of a blend of Craftsman and Stick Style with half-timbering. I'm sure it was a grand building, as it was designed by Sanguinet & Staats who did many of the homes on Courtlandt Place.

Approximately where was the old clubhouse located? I have only seen one other photo of the building (the postcard someone posted on here a while back), and it looks pretty similar to the one in the photo - sort of a blend of Craftsman and Stick Style with half-timbering. I'm sure it was a grand building, as it was designed by Sanguinet & Staats who did many of the homes on Courtlandt Place.

Yes, I could swear it is the same structure in Gus Wortham Golf course? and was discussed in the topic of old structures of Near East End?

Like J Buffet sang... " I got the urge to merge" :unsure:

I think the old clubhouse was in the same location as the current one.

I think the old clubhouse was in the same location as the current one.

This was discussed in several other topics right ie; Gus Wortham Golf Course, etc? Old structures of East End?

More than likely Country Club Place got it's name as a result of the nearby Golf Course and Clubhouse?

As you pass (just before Dinner Bell Cafeteria) you can still see the arches or stone pillars that once had Country Club Place imbedded in them. One fell over one day after heavy rains about 5-6 yrs ago. I think it was redone and or restored in its upright position. These things were almost as huge as the ones you see at the Forest Park Lawndale cemetary farther down Lawndale.

If you can beleive, this whole area from Dinner Bell to Idylwood all the way to Forest Park cem was a very upscale well-to-do area for its time. Most residents owned or ran business around here, went to nearby churches, PTA meetings, baseball park and modern restaurants. It was very Beaver Cleaver like. :P A world within itself. You did not need to go any further than the new Gulfgate Mall.

We were lucky to have known many of the seniors before they were passing away to tell us stories of what it was like in the 1940's and 50's. I will always have a deep respect for the more seasoned people. They lived it.

• 6 months later...

From : Houston - The Unknown City 1836-1946 (Author: M. Johnston)

"In 1909, with the opening of the club near Harrisburg and Wayside, it was assumed that *handsome new neighborhoods would spring up around it and that the city's growth would continue eastward toward Harrisburg. " But that did not happen, (the book states) and Rice Institute may have had something to do with the club members movement away from the Country Club. The clubhouse was still popular, though. Club president Hugo Neuhaus convinced members to build a swimming pool. Book describes a "pillared loggia w/green glazed woodwork. Pink sand for the plaster was brought from Spain. The book goes on to state that the swimming pool "prolonged the life of the club on that site for another 35 years." (Ch.40, Pg.222)

Thought that was interesting.

*I disagree w/ the statement, somewhat, there are some fabulous homes around the golf club, still. I think they mean elite, as in River Oaks type.

Last remember being inside around 1973-74? Lenox Barbecue (on Harrisburg) catered there quite often. I had stories in here on Haif somewhere. I do remember many windows and doors that opened into a vast decking or patio and the numerous candelabra on all the tables, heavy drapery. Interior reminded me of scenes of Titanics dining room, really. Maybe because I was a kid maybe.

PS, last we heard there are plans to construct a similar clubhouse....but when????? :blink:

Is the swimming pool still around? I've never been there. Driven by many times, with g-mthr.

Honestly, when I briefly worked (catered) there, I was too busy to even realize there was a pool? Truthfully, this area is one you do not want to be around after dark and the fact that it is so "open" to the traffic on Wayside. IF there was a swimming pool I am almost positive it would have been shut down or filled in later to deter unwanted wondering intruders and believe you me there is plenty in these here parts. It's possible there were little cemented ponds for ducks in it's hey day?

To answer your question I have no knowledge of any pool being there but I am sure other Houstonian's would know. (Didn't want to say older) Hee hee. Sounds like another job for the History Detectives! B)

Toodle-oo!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/image_lg.php?variable=e_bb_0089

Look at the address on the tile curb sign, says 1200 Wayside.

I GoogleEarthed it... S. Wayside Dr. put me at the corner of Lawndale & Wayside, Dinner Bell (restaurant) location. Old maps show Wayside Dr. as only running south of Buffalo Bayou.

Interesting.

Thanks Ross...what aya know...it's still there, at 1276 N. Wayside Dr., and it's a pharmacy. Shells of other old bldgs. still beside it, and there's a cool old gas station, too.

That's what I like about the East End, it's still (to some extent) left untouched by time. At least for now.

• The title was changed to Houston Country Club At 1276 North Wayside Dr.

Archived