Ghetto

fitzy24

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was watching this TV show yesterday on Style Network and the name of the show is "Split Ends". The premise is that one stylist from a certain part of the country trades with another stylist from another part of the country and then reality happens. A pretty black stylist from Beverly Hills was sent to third ward Houston and of course the black stylist from Houston ends up in Beverly Hills, Ca. The poor girl from California kept whispering, "ghetto, ghetto, ghetto" and of course the camera pans the bums and shacks of the Third Ward. Humiliating for Houston because when the California girl was told she was going to Houston, she was all excited, "a big city"! Whoa.

remove poor from the above sentence and i'll concur

i believe ghetto was a neighborhood where the jewish were segregated

You are absolutely right. The term: "Ghetto" was used for area restricted to Jews by non-jewish tyrannts.

of course not. you can live in a nice house/area but still have a ghetto table.

Is the reverse also true? Can you have a nice table in a ghetto house? Or is it automatically a ghetto table?

Are there nice houses in the ghetto? Or does the fact that a house is in the ghetto automatically make it ghetto also? Just how far does the ghetto taint reach? One block, two blocks?

Is Graceland considered ghetto? Was Elvis singing about little Lisa Marie?

It's all so confusing! HELP ME, ELVIS!!!

389px-Elvis_Presley_1970.jpg

buddies%20livingroom%20graceland.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if anyone else thought it was referred to an area becoming "black" and not just "slum" or "trashy".

Some people use it that way. a black friend of mine calls the pappadeaux on the south loop the ghetto pappadeaux because its black clientele is predominant.

Some people use it that way. a black friend of mine calls the pappadeaux on the south loop the ghetto pappadeaux because its black clientele is predominant.

when I was growing up, i was told that the Ghetto was the bad part of town.

LOL. My buddy in Big D (Pappa's Steak House employee) calls it Pappa-Bros'.

But I have ate there. It ain't all that bad of a place.

CDeb is a coon-arse, No?

Mais yeah, cher!

An U LaLa grad?

Twice.

Where is good cajun in Houston? I want some!

Honestly, I don't know. I get back to Lafayette often enough that I just eat it there. And (this is where my Registered Coon-Ass card gets taken away), I don't really enjoy it as much as Mexican or Texas BBQ. You can say I have successfully integrated as a Texan :lol:

I've heard of a few places in Houston that are supposed to be good (lots of Cajuns living in Houston), but I haven't tried any.

But even the gumbo at Papadeaux was bad. Gumbo is hard to screw up.

River Oaks

West U

Memorial

and

Tanglewood

Hahahahahahaha!

Houston's "White trash"/"Rednecks"/"Hicks", in reality, live in far-flung rural areas. With increasing suburbanization, they are going further and further away from the city.

So where did Fizy24 go to? Topic starter?

Really, these topics are created by some and they vanish. Maybe everyone is an experiment?

This (topic word) is a highly offensive word to many people. I can never actually recall it being used in an affectionate or complimentary way, ever.

Recent example: Once a year our company displays the upcoming commercials and campaigns for the new year. About 2 years ago we ran about 6 new "test" commercials. One of the depts did not do proper research. The word was used several times during the commercial and showed a very blighted area of a big city. It was supposed to be in humor.

It wasn't, several people got up & walked out. Once the meeting was over, HR had been contacted and several managers were reprimanded. Keep in mind, this was just company employees that viewed but it was humilating enough to create an uproar amongst company organizations, etc. Last we heard they had to revamp the advertising dept and send some to diversity & sensitivity training. At least 1 manager was let go as result. We were never told if media had been notified or not. This was a real lesson and was really totally unnecessary. Assumptions and perceptions can cause plenty of damage in any place.

Public never saw the ad by the way. It was canned.

This is an ugly word. I see as an equivalent as the N word and so do hundreds or maybe thousands of people. To use it in any context is meant with ill intent and meant to deliberately hurt others. Any adult should have the common sense to not use in public much less in typing or writing.

I guess I am now part of this "test" but as long as we use these kinds of words as brazen as some then the world will remain seperated. Fitzy 24 where did ya go??? :ph34r:

This is an ugly word. I see as an equivalent as the N word and so do hundreds or maybe thousands of people. To use it in any context is meant with ill intent and meant to deliberately hurt others. Any adult should have the common sense to not use in public much less in typing or writing.

you need to ghett out some more. :D

no more Scarface T-shirts either. Gave mine to Goodwill.

That reminds me, as I walked out of a grocery store there were about 6 huge Scarface towels hanging on display and several posters of Pacino with machine guns, etc. Parents were buying for their kids. The film is old, are people like just picking up on it? Film made in 1980-81? There were also while & black t-shirts of the most violent scenes. I guess its just a part of our pop-culture. Sold like hot-cakes, though.

no more Scarface T-shirts either. Gave mine to Goodwill.

That reminds me, as I walked out of a grocery store there were about 6 huge Scarface towels hanging on display and several posters of Pacino with machine guns, etc. Parents were buying for their kids. The film is old, are people like just picking up on it? Film made in 1980-81? There were also while & black t-shirts of the most violent scenes. I guess its just a part of our pop-culture. Sold like hot-cakes, though.

There are Scarface video games released in 2006

** Scarface: The World Is Yours

** Scarface: Money. Power. Respect.

The first one continues the story from the assault (In the game version Tony survives the mansion assault)

There are Scarface video games released in 2006

** Scarface: The World Is Yours

** Scarface: Money. Power. Respect. - By selling nose candy?

The first one continues the story from the assault (In the game version Tony survives the mansion assault)

That might help explain why so many youth are in TDC and on AMW/Cops. What great teachings. :wacko::lol:

By the way I was seriously joking that I had a shirt. Could never get that desperate, ever.

So where did Fizy24 go to? Topic starter?

Really, these topics are created by some and they vanish. Maybe everyone is an experiment?

This (topic word) is a highly offensive word to many people. I can never actually recall it being used in an affectionate or complimentary way, ever.

Recent example: Once a year our company displays the upcoming commercials and campaigns for the new year. About 2 years ago we ran about 6 new "test" commercials. One of the depts did not do proper research. The word was used several times during the commercial and showed a very blighted area of a big city. It was supposed to be in humor.

It wasn't, several people got up & walked out. Once the meeting was over, HR had been contacted and several managers were reprimanded. Keep in mind, this was just company employees that viewed but it was humilating enough to create an uproar amongst company organizations, etc. Last we heard they had to revamp the advertising dept and send some to diversity & sensitivity training. At least 1 manager was let go as result. We were never told if media had been notified or not. This was a real lesson and was really totally unnecessary. Assumptions and perceptions can cause plenty of damage in any place.

Public never saw the ad by the way. It was canned.

I guess I am now part of this "test" but as long as we use these kinds of words as brazen as some then the world will remain seperated. Fitzy 24 where did ya go??? :ph34r:

I am still here. I was just wanting to get everyone's opinion on it since it is used a lot here. When I first starting reading the threads I was offended by it (and still is) but I gather it is okay to use it here because nine times out of ten the same posters that use it freely here, wouldn't dare speak it in mixed company. I feel the same as you regarding it being an ugly word. A lot of people don't realize that "ghetto" started with jewish neighborhoods. So was the "there goes the neighborhood" phrase.

When I first starting reading the threads I was offended by it (and still is) but I gather it is okay to use it here because nine times out of ten the same posters that use it freely here, wouldn't dare speak it in mixed company.
i use it in mixed company IF i know them all. they sure use it freely with me.

Archived