Oscar Wyatt-Jim Flores Mansion At 3330 Inwood Dr.

from The New York Times:

In Surprise, Oilman Admits Iraq Kickbacks

By ALAN FEUER

Published: October 2, 2007

Oscar S. Wyatt Jr., the Texas oilman accused of cheating the United Nations oil-for-food program, pleaded guilty yesterday to paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks to Saddam Hussein

• Like 1

from The New York Times:

Under an agreement with the government, he admitted guilt on one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and is most likely to be sentenced to 18 to 24 months in prison rather than the 70 years he might have faced if convicted on all five counts of the indictment.

Quite the light sentence considering he knowingly bypassed the United Nations sanctions and gave the Hussein regime to some spending money, if I'm understanding the case. People get more time for defrauding the IRS.

from The New York Times:

In Surprise, Oilman Admits Iraq Kickbacks

By ALAN FEUER

Published: October 2, 2007

Oscar S. Wyatt Jr., the Texas oilman accused of cheating the United Nations oil-for-food program, pleaded guilty yesterday to paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks to Saddam Hussein's government in 2001 to gain access to lucrative Iraqi oil contracts.

Mr. Wyatt's surprise plea came on the 14th day of his trial in United States District Court in Manhattan, before federal prosecutors finished presenting their case. Under an agreement with the government, he admitted guilt on one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and is most likely to be sentenced to 18 to 24 months in prison rather than the 70 years he might have faced if convicted on all five counts of the indictment.

Mr. Wyatt, a former drill-bit salesman who rose to prominence in the Texas oil business, had proclaimed his innocence almost from the moment he was arrested two years ago at his home in the exclusive River Oaks section of Houston.

After rising before Judge Denny Chin to admit his guilt, Mr. Wyatt, a plain-spoken octogenarian, embraced his wife, Lynn, a doyenne of the Houston social scene known for her philanthropic work and taste for haute couture.

link to full article

Wonder how Lynn feels about being referred to as a doyenne?

My mom is friends with Lynn Wyatt.. I'm sworn to secrecy

• Like 1

Quite the light sentence considering he knowingly bypassed the United Nations sanctions and gave the Hussein regime to some spending money, if I'm understanding the case. People get more time for defrauding the IRS.

Your understanding seems spot on to me. I also hate reading that the sentencing will consider his age as a factor. Unbelievable. We're holding 16 year olds in jail in Louisiana for beating up a kid but considering a lighter sentence for a guy who made God knows how much money by defrauding the UN's food for oil program and negotiating with Iraq!

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

The Chase Tower is only worth 81 million more then ... what was it... 1500 Smith, or one of the smaller Allen Center buildings? Pretty neat info, thanks for sharing!

3330 INWOOD DR 77027 looks huge on Google Earth! Lovely gardens, pool, right next to the River Oaks Country Club. I feel like a pervert now.

John Staub designed this River Oaks home that is now owned by Jim and Cherie Flores. Its previous owners were Oscar and Lynn Wyatt (Lynn Wyatt of Sakowitz family fame.)

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Oscar Wyatt-Jim Flores Mansion At 3330 Inwood Dr.