Hobby Townhouse By Ford, Powell & Carson

BenH

http://members.har.com/sites/gk/dispSearch...10&ALLMLS=Y

This is probably one of my favorite houses in Houston. Similiar in style to the Greer House by Richard Colley on Timberwilde and the Liedtke house on Longbow, also by O'neil Ford, this house is a stong combination of 60's modernism mixed with Texas regionalism. Definitely not the way I would have decorated the interiors, though.

http://members.har.com/sites/gk/dispSearch...10&ALLMLS=Y

This is probably one of my favorite houses in Houston. Similiar in style to the Greer House by Richard Colley on Timberwilde and the Liedtke house on Longbow, also by O'neil Ford, this house is a stong combination of 60's modernism mixed with Texas regionalism. Definitely not the way I would have decorated the interiors, though.

I wish I was a millionaire when I see a house like this. THANK YOU for the post The interior decorating is surely not my taste either They have so much furniture in there,that it makes it hard to really see the rooms. I love the rough paneling look. The atrium is to die for. Wow,can you imagine looking out from an upstairs bedroom,and seeing that? Thanks again

A favorite house in Houston? I'm not feeling much from this one. I never saw it on a tour and maybe in person it has something I can't see in the pics. The interiors are so decorated that its hard to tell, but it looks like some kind of 1970s mausoleum modern (sort of) and watered down Frenchy townhouse to me. I don't see any Texas regionalism at all...maybe New Orleans regionalism? Help me out here! What am I missing?

i recall this house was part of the RDA Home tour some years back - but i don't remember the that year's tour theme.

This is a very elegant, restrained, and well proportioned modern house. The RDA featured it on their Modern Landmarks tour in 1995. From the RDA website:

Architectural Tour (April 22-23, 1995)

Modern Landmarks

Lecture by Stephen Fox: Texas Modernism (April 18, 1995)

This tour presented six of the most spectacular modern houses built in Houston between 1950 and 1972. They vividly illustrate the diversity, richness and exceptional quality of the modern movement that, after 20 years of critical reaction, is ready for reevaluation.

323 Tynebrook Lane, 1960, Bruce Goff with Herb Greene

18 Westlane, 1957, Bolton & Barnstone

3688 Willowick Road, 1952, Edward Durrell Stone with Thomas E. Greacen, II

8 Briarwood Court, 1970 Keith Kroeger Associates

3202 Huntingdon Place, 1972, Ford, Powell & Carson

2930 Lazy Lane, 1964, Howard Barnstone & Partners

A favorite house in Houston? I'm not feeling much from this one. I never saw it on a tour and maybe in person it has something I can't see in the pics. The interiors are so decorated that its hard to tell, but it looks like some kind of 1970s mausoleum modern (sort of) and watered down Frenchy townhouse to me. I don't see any Texas regionalism at all...maybe New Orleans regionalism? Help me out here! What am I missing?

http://www.amazon.com/ONeil-Architect-Lind...s/dp/0890964335

Read this book. O'neil Ford was the grandfather of modernism in Texas.

Explore this for a bit too, and look at the projects especially.

http://www.fpcarch.com/

I never knew that O'Neil Ford designed this house. I always assumed it was P.M. Bolton. I like it, it's not a favorite, but it is does speak greatly about what a modern River Oaks house was during that time.

I never knew that O'Neil Ford designed this house. I always assumed it was P.M. Bolton. I like it, it's not a favorite, but it is does speak greatly about what a modern River Oaks house was during that time.

Well, technically Ford himself didn't design it. According to Fox in the guide, Chris Carson designed it, but O'neil Ford was never the primary designer in many of the projects he did. He was the guy that went out and got the work.

This is a very elegant, restrained, and well proportioned modern house. The RDA featured it on their Modern Landmarks tour in 1995. From the RDA website:

Architectural Tour (April 22-23, 1995)

Modern Landmarks

This tour presented six of the most spectacular modern houses built in Houston between 1950 and 1972. They vividly illustrate the diversity, richness and exceptional quality of the modern movement that, after 20 years of critical reaction, is ready for reevaluation.

323 Tynebrook Lane, 1960, Bruce Goff with Herb Greene

18 Westlane, 1957, Bolton & Barnstone

3688 Willowick Road, 1952, Edward Durrell Stone with Thomas E. Greacen, II

8 Briarwood Court, 1970 Keith Kroeger Associates

3202 Huntingdon Place, 1972, Ford, Powell & Carson

2930 Lazy Lane, 1964, Howard Barnstone & Partners

Oh the folly of youth! I wish I could have been on that tour. I would kill to have seen the Edward Durrell Stone house. Barnstone too.

Well, technically Ford himself didn't design it. According to Fox in the guide, Chris Carson designed it, but O'neil Ford was never the primary designer in many of the projects he did. He was the guy that went out and got the work.

I see. Well this is often the case with architects who carry a great deal of name recognition.

I see. Well this is often the case with architects who carry a great deal of name recognition.

Mmm...not always. That's all as far as I know. Mr. Ford was getting up in years at the time, and his practice was skyrocketing at the time as well. He may have been focused on bigger projects. I'll check the book to see if there's anything in the book about that time period.

I see some of those years ago tours and think "it's time to do that tour again!" A whole new generation of architecture enthusiasts have not seen or even heard of a lot of these houses. Whether or not the current owners are interested or not is another issue, of course.

Houston Mod plans to organize some sort of home tour in 2008, but it's in the early planning stages.

From the pictures, this house is not agreeable to my tastes, but it's impossible to make any judgement without actually going to see it... However, I'm really glad you brought it to our attention. Hopefully the person with the bucks to buy it wants to keep it alive.

Jason

Oh the folly of youth! I wish I could have been on that tour. I would kill to have seen the Edward Durrell Stone house. Barnstone too.

Mmm...not always.

Yes, I know not always. That's why I said often, not always. But there are many instances where homes are designed under one person's name, but are in fact designed by his or her staffers. You can see examples of this even in Frank Lloyd Wright.

Many of the modern houses in River Oaks from this time (though there aren't a ton) are decorated in this style. This house is definitely an example of "the look." I described it as a great example, and by great I mean that it does a great job of explaining the look of that area, not that it is great as in appealing. I think that it is largely influenced by how the de Menils furnished their home, and many wealthy Houstonians tried to achieve a similar look. This is a nice house, but I agree, the interiors as is are not of my taste. There is another mid century modern home for sale in Glen Cove, done up similarly. My feelings are the same about it.

I agree that there are better homes, but it's not a pile of dirt, either.

• The title was changed to Hobby Townhouse By Ford, Powell & Carson

Archived