"Starchitect" designs

moni

ghery's work is obvious. i hadn't heard of polshek (?). i thought the herzog & de meuron was zaha hadid. also, i didn't recognize the calatrava. after i read the name, i figured i should've known. i recognized taniguchi right away.

as much as i appreciate the architecture of our museums and theaters, i covet some of these buildings for our town.

that's interesting. i can see where these structures are intimidating; however, the beauty of each structure overwhelms me. i'm fascinated by the extreme nature of the engineering necessary to build these structures. yet, i see what you mean editor. the accessibility of an older stone/cement building seems more human. but, i wonder if the greeks or romans felt intimidated by their temples or public spaces? perhaps these modern buildings will seem human to the next generation. the fact that they are "inhuman" or futuristic is a part of what overwhelms me.

I thought the article was lame. The headline implied new but the author trotted out Milwaukee and something else from like, 2000. Not new. There was also something about the `new cultural capitals`. Is this supposed to apply to cities like Akron, Ohio or buildings like Gehry`s Disney Center in LA? IMHO, it should apply to neither. Tacky naming rights aside, the more Gehry produces wavy, titanium clones, the less cool the new ones are. The old one in Minneapolis (Weisman Center, 1990)? Very cool. Had the privilege of seeing it myself close up. Bilbao? Pretty much universally adored. But I wonder if the wavy titanium recipe is gathering dust. Also, the Pritzker Pavilion is not a museum...

By the way, if it`s not titanium, I`m sorry. The article said stainless steel, but then again, the article said it was stainless steel.

I thought Minneapolis `won` in the slideshow, but Libeskind`s was probably my favorite. Pity about him losing the Freedom Tower deal.

Per Bachanon`s post, didn`t Hadid do a great museum in Cleveland? Since the article included Calatrava`s Milwaukee Wing (?) and the Rose Center, it could have included Hadid`s as well. Guess it wasn`t new enough.

Archived