Westbury The Best Hidden Neighorhood

gsutiger2

From Houston Press Best Of Houston 2007

Best Hidden Neighborhood (2007)

Westbury

This Southwest Houston neighborhood has had a bit of a bad rap, some of it connected to relocated Katrina victims. But, despite the catfight at Westbury High last year, a lot of that involved the victims as victims, not as perpetrators. Other

• Like 1

Westbury is so vast, it varies section by section. I prefer nearby Willowbrook and Willowbend, which are located on the eastern edge of that massive Ranch style spread in the SW. It's encouraging to see the area get some new residents who appreciate the architecture and will spare the area from going into decades of decline (hopefully) and tacky remodels like so many other older, formerly suburban nabes.

I agree with the article that the homes are fairly easy to restore or renovate, although the old slabs can be costly to fix, and the floor plans aren't obsolete like more ancient homes. I would guess that the current herd of buyers probably are going for the granite/stainless/gleaming wood floor look. Hopefully a lot of those original colored tile bathrooms will be saved along the way.

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't just me. It seems like the Press doesn't want to tell their readership anything they didn't already know in this category. I think last year or year before they picked the 6th ward. Again, great area but hardly what I would describe as hidden. They never seem to exactly "go out on a limb" with their selections. I also think "hidden" implies somewhat "undiscovered" with pricing that reflects that. Especially in sections 1 & 2 of Westbury and the northern parts of Parkwest prices would definitely indicate the area has been "discovered" already. I think the Press is about 3 or 4 years late on this for Westbury, it has graduated beyond that status IMO. It is still good press for the area anyway.

I did notice Westbury ranked in two other categories, Westbury Square for best ruins, and the Cozy Corner for something.

Keep in mind, if you're frequent to HAIF, there probably isn't much "hidden" anywhere in this city.

To most of Houston, Westbury is hidden as far as potential and what's going on there in terms of real estate. I bet most of Houston has no clue where Westbury is.

Keep in mind, if you're frequent to HAIF, there probably isn't much "hidden" anywhere in this city.

To most of Houston, Westbury is hidden as far as potential and what's going on there in terms of real estate. I bet most of Houston has no clue where Westbury is.

Very true.

I propose we at HAIF produce our own "Hidden Nabe" report, in a separate topic, of course.

Anyone?

True enough "city-wide" but I would have thought within the readership of the Houston Press that people would have known about it, but that could be a very wrong assumption.

When my cousin worked for Vonnie Cobb Realtors in the early 90's, a realtors came in one morning all excited about a listing in the "unknown hidden neighborhood" he just discovered - small town feel, huge lots, houses were older, but well-kept, and priced to sell! "It's called Garden Oaks!" The older employees knew where it was, but there was much head-scratching amongst the youngsters. Hard to believe. :lol:

• The title was changed to Westbury The Best Hidden Neighorhood