Five Oaks Place/Woodside: Office Tower At 1500 Post Oak Bvd.

fernz

While I prefer wide side walks (min 8ft) that invite walking, there really should be a grass and tree buffer between the sidewalk and the street curb for pedestrians - especially on major thoroughfares or higher speed traffic streets like Post Oak.

Sidewalks should NEVER be placed right up against the street curb. Sure this makes for easy landscape maintenance since there's no little strip to maintain but the grass and tree buffer provide a perceived safety zone for pedestrians. That's Urban Planning 101!

Well I guess all the urban cities in the world are doing it wrong then.  If you're going to have something between the street and sidewalk, actually do something with it.  Don't put a cheap strip of grass.  That doesn't make pedestrians feel any more comfortable that putting it right up against the street.

• Like 1

I've walked on major thoroughfares in many urban cities in the world ... in N and S America, Europe, and Asia.  Living and working in the Galleria/Uptown area, I see people, for example, that exit 610 and seem to yearn to continue driving as fast off the freeway as on.  I understand the psychology, its frustrating driving here.  I know it's a subjective reaction, but I have never seen drivers as inconsiderate or careless in those other places.

OK, so as to not be too far off-topic, I appreciate the increased density this development and others nearby will contribute to.  And, I appreciate the efforts the Uptown District is making toward improving pedestrian amenities.  But ... I would like us to be more proactive about pedestrian safety.  People get hit crossing streets here because drivers are careless.  It happened recently to the daughter of a colleague of mine, fortunately they were lucky.

I walk in the Galleria area on Post Oak daily. I cross it on foot daily. I came within inches of being hit by someone going 40+ because they were texting and ran a red light. If I had been 1 step ahead I don't think I'd be alive right now. I stay several feet back from the curb when I'm waiting to cross Post Oak. One of the hazards of using public transportation daily is that you are going to be crossing busy streets on foot. I think on my route to work I'm much safer in my own car than I am on the bus. I still take the bus everyday but I try to stay vigilant when I'm walking in the Galleria or Downtown.

I noticed yesterday as I was leaving work that they were installing metal polls in concrete alongside the sidewalk of the shorter 12 story Four Oaks Place, as if they were going to install a chain link fence or something on the side facing the new construction site. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? Seemed a little strange to me.

I noticed yesterday as I was leaving work that they were installing metal polls in concrete alongside the sidewalk of the shorter 12 story Four Oaks Place, as if they were going to install a chain link fence or something on the side facing the new construction site. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? Seemed a little strange to me.

Surely it's the construction fence.

I'm not sure what the project is, but they have been working on the base of the 4-oaks building closest to post oak (taking out concrete, utility stuff etc...).  Kind of looks like they may try to beautify they space or replace the slab with something else.  It appears to be unrelated to the BHP building.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the project is, but they have been working on the base of the 4-oaks building closest to post oak (taking out concrete, utility stuff etc...).  Kind of looks like they may try to beautify they space or replace the slab with something else.  It appears to be unrelated to the BHP building.

The past few weeks they have been replacing the slabs in front of 1330 Post Oak Blvd and replacing them. May be the same for the Wells Fargo Tower there on Post Oak.

I'm not sure what the project is, but they have been working on the base of the 4-oaks building closest to post oak (taking out concrete, utility stuff etc...). Kind of looks like they may try to beautify they space or replace the slab with something else. It appears to be unrelated to the BHP building.

Skylineview is correct, plaza area will get a new look.

Four_Oaks_Place.jpg

• Like 4

It looks like demo will finish today on the old gym. Just a section of the back wall still standing.

Weird to see it gone. Live right by there and worked out there for 5 years, but excited to see the new building go up.

• Like 1