Five Oaks Place/Woodside: Office Tower At 1500 Post Oak Bvd.

fernz

It's the norm with high-rise and super-tall buildings. Looks like this one is just outside the building's outline, but within the foundation's perimeter. At least it looks like it to me. We'll know for sure as the building goes up, or by tomorrow since the initial foundation work should already be completed.

It's the norm with high-rise and super-tall buildings. Looks like this one is just outside the building's outline, but within the foundation's perimeter. At least it looks like it to me. We'll know for sure as the building goes up, or by tomorrow since the initial foundation work should already be completed.

From the drawings, it looks like the crane base is in the final building's driveway.

• Like 1

I think the Hanover Post Oak crane goes through the elevator shaft.

Just like Astoria then.. Do they still ever put cranes through elevator shafts, or have they ever done that? Could of sworn I've seen pictures of that before, but don't recall anything being built like that in Houston..

• Like 1

We try not to put cranes in elevator hoistways.  It is a huge pain in the ass when you are trying to get the crane out of the hoistway at the end of the job.  There are also a few other factors that affect the location, but the simple answer is that whenever possible it is better for the crane to be outside the building rather than inside.

Edited by tangledwoods
  • Like 1

I got that last view driving home yesterday afternoon as well and it was really stunning in person. Not sure why they had a Astoria crane hanging over Post Oak though.

Its probably because its better to be hanging over the roadway than over neighboring condos.

Its a pretty amazing site driving down Post Oak.

The windows that Alicia blew out were thanks in part to gravel roofs that are now out lawed. The wind picked up the gravel/pebbles and they became projectiles. In Ike, much of the window damage was confined to the Chase Tower due to wind dynamics around that 30-ish story tower in front of Chase (don't remember the name of it). If you notice, the window damage is confined to the lower 40 stories stories of the building---almost identical to the building in front of Chase. The windows that you would have thought would blow out (higher up ones) remained pretty much intact. 

Given another hurricane, much of the window damage should be limited to only a few hundred I suspect as most of the highrises in Houston are built with hurricanes in mind. 

Caveat: Houston has never had a category 4 or 5 hurricane hit with maximum fury. Everything I mentioned above may very well go out the window (pun intended) if we are unlucky enough to experience that. 

Wind decreases as a function of speed over time. Not # of miles inland. So if you have a category 4 hurricane (140 mph at landfall on the west end of Galveston (has to be west end or even a bit further south due to the location of the right front quad) racing inland at 15 to 20 mph, you could easily have winds in excess of 140 to 150 knots at the tops of those buildings...then you throw in Bernouli's principle (canyon effect) and you have a serious problem. 

Let's hope that doesn't happen. I can assure you, you are not prepared to witness what happens to Houston in a worse case scenerio. 

Edited by wxman

^^ What happened with Chase Tower was that the membrane got picked up off the Chase Center roof across Travis and slapped up against it.  On many of the lower floors the offices on that face were destroyed all the way back to the elevator core.  My office at the time was higher up, facing Travis but out of the damage zone.  The clock on the break room microwave still had the correct time on it when we were finally allowed in a couple days later.

High rise building windows can take a significantly higher wind load than we would see in even the worst hurricane, so long as it is a wind load.  Get some projectiles in there and that's all she wrote.

• 2 weeks later...